Best Decoder/Sound System for a Balboa C-21

AdamKP

So I just purchased a brass Balboa C-21 and I'm wondering what kind of decoder/speaker I should get for it. I'm thinking Soundtraxx as I think that might be the only brand to fit. I would appreciate any suggestions since I am not well versed in the electronic side of model railroading. Thank you.

Nigel Phillips

ESU Loksound micro is an alternative. The decoder size is usually not an issue, it's the speaker. Try "sugar cube" speakers. If you can get a speaker in the boiler all the better.

Nigel

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 1:41 PM AdamKP <penncentral13@...> wrote:
So I just purchased a brass Balboa C-21 and I'm wondering what kind of decoder/speaker I should get for it. I'm thinking Soundtraxx as I think that might be the only brand to fit. I would appreciate any suggestions since I am not well versed in the electronic side of model railroading. Thank you.

Mike Chamberlain

I use Soundtraxx in all of my locos . Mike

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 2:03 PM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
ESU Loksound micro is an alternative. The decoder size is usually not an issue, it's the speaker. Try "sugar cube" speakers. If you can get a speaker in the boiler all the better.

Nigel

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 1:41 PM AdamKP <penncentral13@...> wrote:
So I just purchased a brass Balboa C-21 and I'm wondering what kind of decoder/speaker I should get for it. I'm thinking Soundtraxx as I think that might be the only brand to fit. I would appreciate any suggestions since I am not well versed in the electronic side of model railroading. Thank you.

AdamKP

I should probably also add that I’m looking for a specific mode number or name. Thanks for the advice so far.

Nigel Phillips

S0586 sound file from a narrow gauge K27 2-8-2. ESU decoders come blank, you will need a supplier with the ability to burn the decoder. The decoder is a V5, a micro version is the smallest. ESU now use PLEX interfaces on standard size decoders (16 pin). if you are new to installing decoders get somebody like Tony's Trains to burn and install. Or practice on a cheap engine and decoder first. The micro versions come with a 6-pin interface, usually enough for a steam locomotive. ESU should have an 8-socket to PLEX interface card. I think you can special order an 8-pin interface decoder directly from ESU.

I use Soundtraxx and ESU decoders, ESU are IMHO better. Soundtraxx come with the 8-pin interface and a stay alive capacitor. Bachmann sound decoders in HO are usually from Soundtraxx, not so expensive, and they have a generic 2-6-2.

Nigel

On Thursday, July 15, 2021, AdamKP <penncentral13@...> wrote:
I should probably also add that I’m looking for a specific mode number or name. Thanks for the advice so far.

Mark Kasprowicz

Soundtraxx TSU-1100 Steam 2. 884006. Huge choice of sounds. Hard wire it - plugs are only of use when factory fitted in RTR locos.

Mark