Topics

Bench Work Fframing

Steve Hatch

I finished the basic framing yesterday for the expansion of the railroad into the new addition.
So frame #4 is sort-off an overall. Best I could do to get most of it in the shot.
I cut my 1x4's out of ply wood.  It makes better/stronger joints and frame than standard 1x4's'
Plus it's cheaper and easy to work the dimensions and assembly.
frame 4 is the latest picture.  took about 7 hrs to do all the framing in the 20x20 ft space.
  Now I'm starting the roadbed for the standard gauge all around the room and the narrow gauge wandering
here and there.   Having fun in Dewey AZ......
The railroad is now 46ft by 20ft.
This is what I've been doing instead of making turnouts.
at 78 I decided to build my own RR (about time)
.Steve Hatch

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/Build/RRframe4.jpg

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/Build/RRframe1.jpg

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/Build/RRframe2.jpg

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/Build/RRframe3.jpg

jczul36

Very nice Steve!

On Mar 27, 2020, at 2:08 PM, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks JC

Ric Case

Steve, it’s great to see you making some progress on the railroad part of the addition!
The structure wound up looking good! Continue with the great work.

How are you coming along on the roller holders I ordered?
Contact me off list for follow up!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Mar 27, 2020, at 5:08 PM, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Conder

Inspiring work.   I never considered using plywood for benchwork, you've changed my plans a bit ...

Mike Conder

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020, 3:08 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark Kasprowicz

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 02:08 PM, Steve Hatch wrote:
at 78 I decided to build my own RR (about time)
Damn right! Looking pretty good. I love this part when the track bed and track start going down (I always think scenery spoils it slightly. Must be perverse)

Mark K

Bill Lugg

I build my L-girders out of dimensional lumber thinking that gluing an screwing two pieces together at right angles to each other would keep them from warping or twisting.  For the most part I came out OK, but I have two that are so bad they're unusable for much more than rockers on a chair.  Much later I read of someone that used 3/4" plywood to make the parts for his L-Girders specifically to avoid this issue.  When I finish my benchwork, I think I'll go that direction too.

Bill Lugg

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020, 3:08 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@... <mailto:hatch@...>> wrote:

[...]

Robert Weaver

I built my bench work the same way (plywood with end blocks) except I pre-drilled 3-4 sets of holes through the cross members (stacked them and drilled multiple at a time) to hold wires prior to assembly.      Then we set up an assembly line screwing and glueing the blocks (2”x2”) onto the cross members.   Then final assembly was super fast.

Bench work has been up for 16 years and not one issue .... and it is super strong.

The upper deck we used 1/2” plywood instead of 3/4” and reduced it to 3” vs 4” and used shelf brackets and metal 3/4” 90 degree angle iron as a front support across the shelf brackets and notched the cross members.    Super solid.

Everything is assembled with “drywall“ screws.   And you don’t even need to pre-drill.  No wood splitting.

It’s the fastest bench work I have ever used and assembled.

RobW.