AT&SF Depot in Santa Fe, NM HO Scale

Wayne

Does anyone know if the old adobe AT&SF Depot in Santa Fe was ever offered as an HO kit?

Ernie Barney

Yes it was offered several years ago. I don't recall the manf right now. He was NorCal as I recall. Nice guy to talk with but haven't seen anything from him in years. I bought and built it for my layout. The kit had a number of issues which I was able to mostly correct. The kit did include Monster Model works freight room doors. Those alone were worth the cost. 

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021, 12:02 PM Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...> wrote:
Does anyone know if the old adobe AT&SF Depot in Santa Fe was ever offered as an HO kit?

tonyk537

Here ya go.

wtmiv

Does anyone know how or where to find one of these Santa Fe AT&SF Depot kits? Surely would like to find one! Thanks!
Bill M.

Wayne

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like nothing is available these days so it will have to be scratch building if I want to make one.  Would be interesting to make a diorama with the AT&SF depot alongside the Chili Line depot (now Tomasita's).

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:14 PM wtmiv <kb466@...> wrote:
Does anyone know how or where to find one of these Santa Fe AT&SF Depot kits? Surely would like to find one! Thanks!
Bill M.

--
Wayne Taylor

Ernie Barney

Here is a link to my YouTube channel with an overview of my model of the Santa Fe Railyard. This vid needs to be updated as all of the scenery and details have been completed and added to since the footage was shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VachbunnWjI

Wayne

Spectacular!

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 10:50 PM Ernie Barney <Chililine38@...> wrote:
Here is a link to my YouTube channel with an overview of my model of the Santa Fe Railyard. This vid needs to be updated as all of the scenery and details have been completed and added to since the footage was shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VachbunnWjI

--
Wayne Taylor

Ernie Barney

Thanks Wayne! Wasn't until I re-watched this vid that I realized how much has changed with this part of my layout.

Don Bergman

Ernie,

Nice work.  Loved the sky lights on an adobe building!  

Don B.

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Ernie Barney <Chililine38@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 12:50 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [HOn3] AT&SF Depot in Santa Fe, NM HO Scale

Ernie Barney

Don, thank you! It was fun building the Gross Kelly warehouse that still stands in Santa Fe. The skylights are on the prototype.

Jim Spencer

Did that building actually have Adobe walls? Or was it really a wood frame or concrete block structure with simulated tapered and rusticated Adobe walls? So much of Santa Fe NM architecture isn’t the real thing. I know saying this reading that the Gross Kelly Building is considered a prototype for the Pueblo-look of their two styles of architecture, the other being the Territorial style. I do remember the moniker given the city by the former mayor, Susanna Martinez: “an Adobe theme park”.  Makes me wonder - and laugh!

Climax@...

Put up a wood frame, some expanded steel cut and nailed in place then throw gunite (sprayed concrete), then trowel it and wala you have an Adobe structure.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mar 20, 2021 10:25 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] AT&SF Depot in Santa Fe, NM HO Scale

Did that building actually have Adobe walls? Or was it really a wood frame or concrete block structure with simulated tapered and rusticated Adobe walls? So much of Santa Fe NM architecture isn’t the real thing. I know saying this reading that the Gross Kelly Building is considered a prototype for the Pueblo-look of their two styles of architecture, the other being the Territorial style. I do remember the moniker given the city by the former mayor, Susanna Martinez: “an Adobe theme park”.  Makes me wonder - and laugh!

Ernie Barney

Over on my Chili Line group there is quite a bit of discussion about the Gross Kelly building and related info.  https://groups.io/g/TheSantaFeBranchChiliLine/topics
Type Gross Kelly in the search box. I'm also posting a history of the Gross Kelly building and business for those who might be interested. You are always welcome to join us on the Chili Line!

Jim Spencer

Thank you Ernie. It confirms my suspicion that with brick walls as the primary structure the look of the Gross Kelly building is as fake as most of the rest of Santa Fe. While he was alive, I became a good friend of Richard Dorman FAIA and we discussed the conundrum of the fakery of the Santa Fe Pueblo style and how to deal with it authentically as architects. It was a dance for him. He was a great guy known to most of us as a narrow gauge historian and author. But I knew him as an extremely talented and successful architect.