From: Art D3
Sent: Jul 14, 2019 9:08 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] Any narrow gauge news from the NMRA National Convention

Besides the new Kadee 705 couplers, is there any other narrow gauge news from the convention? San Juan, Blackstone, anyone?
--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Art D3

You forgot that Korea and Japan have banned exporting brass. Hahahahaha!
--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Ric Case

Does anyone have pictures of the new 705 coupler?

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jul 14, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Art D3 <apdutra3@...> wrote:

Besides the new Kadee 705 couplers, is there any other narrow gauge news from the convention? San Juan, Blackstone, anyone?
--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Dale Buxton

They have been up for sale at the Kedee web site since last Friday. Same pictures as those in the latest issue of the Gazette.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 20:40 Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
Does anyone have pictures of the new 705 coupler?

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jul 14, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Art D3 <apdutra3@...> wrote:

Besides the new Kadee 705 couplers, is there any other narrow gauge news from the convention? San Juan, Blackstone, anyone?
--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Mark Kasprowicz

The installed photo looks as though the draft box on the Rail Line(?) car needed a bit of what we Brits call 'fettling'.

Mark K

David Keith

Comparing the dimensions it looks like the 705 box is the same width, but slightly longer (23/64 rather than 20/64).  However, the drawings are not identical, so they may not be the same measurement.  The 705 coupler box is rectangular, it does not have the tapers at the back.   The thickness of the 705 is 1/64" thinner than the 714.

Take your own look at:
https://www.kadee.com/all-products-c-81/705-assembled-metal-couplers-p-2035.htm
https://www.kadee.com/hon3-scale-couplers-c-272_224_225/714-plastic-coupler-black-p-433.htm

Dave K.

Dale Buxton

I saw that dimensional discrepency too. l just ordered some and will pass on the actual dimension when I find out what is later this week or next. The Kadee photo of the underside of a D&RGW boxcar is of Blackstone car. It has a dirty gray underframe and the Blackstone style coupler lift bar mounting points.

Dale Buxton

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM David Keith <dckeith14@...> wrote:
Comparing the dimensions it looks like the 705 box is the same width, but slightly longer (23/64 rather than 20/64).  However, the drawings are not identical, so they may not be the same measurement.  The 705 coupler box is rectangular, it does not have the tapers at the back.   The thickness of the 705 is 1/64" thinner than the 714.

Take your own look at:
https://www.kadee.com/all-products-c-81/705-assembled-metal-couplers-p-2035.htm
https://www.kadee.com/hon3-scale-couplers-c-272_224_225/714-plastic-coupler-black-p-433.htm

Dave K.

_._,_.i _i,

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#3290) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,

Mark Lewis

To All:

Are we to assume that since the only comments on the original post topic, have been about the new Kadee #705 couplers, that there was no other HOn3 specific news from the train Show?

Did Blackstone or Soundtraxx have a booth and if so, was there any HOn3 information from them?
Were there any new HOn3 specific structures on display?

Mark Lewis
N.G. modeling in N.C.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 2:18 PM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill Miller

The only thing I saw was the 2nd run of the Blackstone 30 foot reefers (newly corrected) was about to hit stores.

 Bill Miller

[...]

Climax@...

At the prices that Blackstone is going up, are they now a hundred dollar a pop?
Dave  .....because someone stole my ID.

[...]

Thanks, Bill.

Mark Lewis

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 3:08 PM Bill Miller via Groups.Io <ebteng18=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Craig Linn

Hi Guys.

I asked the crew at MRH to ask about the K-36 and K-28 project. Below is the response from that post.

 ========

I got the distinct feeling that the guys (their names will remain hidden to protect.... someone) at the show were tired of hearing questions on the K-36/28 projects.

The answer was, and I quote, "Tell them to email nw@...

"nw" is Nancy Workman, aka "the boss."

There you have it.

Jeff Shultz
MRH Technical Assistant

  ===========

Not meaning to start any flame wars or this topic...just passing on info.

Craig

On Jul 16, 2019, at 1:37 PM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

[...]

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

Edited

David;
I politely beg to differ.
The 714 box is not 20/64.  it is 5/32 + 15/64 = 25/64.  And it may be longer as the measurement seems to be on the contact surface rather than the face of the "buffer".  Whereas the 705 (242) box is measured to the face.
The shank on the 704 appears to be longer at 7/32 vs 3/16.  I couldn't tell if the 3/16 was from the center of the pivot or the front.
The thickness is the same, or so it seems.  However; The lid of the 714 is thicker than the box according to the drawing.  If the 704 box is all the same, then yes it will make the whole package a bit thicker.
I dug a little deeper and the 705 uses the #242 box.  Which the 705 page says is 23/64 x 15/64 x 7/64 in height.  On the 242 page the drawing says 7/16 x 5/16 x 1/8.  So who knows.

We need line drawings of the 705 so we can make a more accurate comparison.
TCC}

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 09:34 AM, David Keith wrote:
Comparing the dimensions it looks like the 705 box is the same width, but slightly longer (23/64 rather than 20/64).  However, the drawings are not identical, so they may not be the same measurement.  The 705 coupler box is rectangular, it does not have the tapers at the back.   The thickness of the 705 is 1/64" thinner than the 714.
--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@...

claneon30

Blackstone said they expect to have the 2nd run Reefers in the warehouse by the end of August.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

On Jul 16, 2019, at 12:25 PM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

[...]

I believe the best way to address this is when they become available I will need to purchase and install them on a few cars then mix them up and review the facts in real time.
Ric

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jul 16, 2019, at 6:26 PM, Talmadge C 'TC' Carr <group_list@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Ric:

Kadee 705's are available now, from Kadee....I placed an order Friday, and they should be delivered in a couple of days.

Mark Lewis

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 7:32 PM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark yes I ordered ten pair on Monday myself.

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jul 16, 2019, at 7:42 PM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

[...]

Dusty

When I first heard about the 705 I figured it would be the standard guage coupler with a short pin. This appears to be 1/32 shorter.

Dusty Burman

Mike Conder

Travis Handshug (sp?) already had some and posted on one of the HOn3 Facebook lists.  Apparently, (1) they drop right into Blackstone cars, (2) they extend out a bit more than 714's, (3) they couple with 714's (no surprise there), (4) they have VERY small centering springs (he lost 3 out of 4), (5) they look a lot like miniaturized 58's, and (6) he hasn't tried them on Sergent Sharons yet.

Mike Conder