Topics

Another Abrasive Post

Dusty

Just in case you ever wondered what the sand paper grit equivalent for emery paper is. Or microns or any other imaginable abrasive classification grade.

Lee Gustafson

Dusty,

I’m amazed at your ability to get to the nitty gritty of any subject!

Lee

On Feb 18, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Just in case you ever wondered what the sand paper grit equivalent for emery paper is. Or microns or any other imaginable abrasive classification grade.
<Grade Comparison.pdf>

Mike Van Hove

Dusty,
I had no idea there were that many different ratings for grit size.
I’m guessing the American standard would be the ANSI ?

Not sure what FEPA is, maybe Euro ?

These two are close, but not exactly the same.

Guess I will have to dig out my Sandpaper Stash, and see what I have.

I saved this as a PDF and will see how my stuff compares.

And, remember what George Carlin said: “My stuff is Stuff, your Stuff is Crap!”

Thanks,
Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO

On Feb 18, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Just in case you ever wondered what the sand paper grit equivalent for emery paper is. Or microns or any other imaginable abrasive classification grade.

Seb J

Hi,

Didn’t know it was named FEPA but yes here (France) it it like this, P40 P60 and so on.

Sebastien

--
Cordialement

Sébastien Jubault
Vice-Président
AECFM - Chemin de Fer de Rillé

Mike Van Hove

Thanks for your reply.

Mike

On Feb 18, 2020, at 3:49 PM, Seb J <sebastien.jubault@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Conder

Must have been rough to find it ....

Thanks!

Mike Conder

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:23 AM Lee Gustafson via Groups.Io <bagustaf=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dusty,

I’m amazed at your ability to get to the nitty gritty of any subject!

Lee

On Feb 18, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Just in case you ever wondered what the sand paper grit equivalent for emery paper is. Or microns or any other imaginable abrasive classification grade.
<Grade Comparison.pdf>

Mike Conder

Definition of FEPA:

Definitions: FEPA (Fédération Européenne des Fabricants de Produits Abrasifs) Federation of European Producers of Abrasives. ... The grit sizes are defined by the number of lines per inch (25.4 mm) length of each sieve e.g. 150 lines per inch.

Mike Conder

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 2:49 PM Seb J <sebastien.jubault@...> wrote:
[...]

You may wonder what possessed me to hunt down an emery to sand paper mapping document. I confess it was pure greed. 10 sheets of 3/0 emery paper for $1 US at a Jewelry supply store closing.

Anyone have a clue concerning the application for emery paper vs sand paper?

Right now I'll try it for cleaning rail and PC ties to prep for soldering.

Also thanks to everyone's contributions I realized the sand paper I thought was US 800 was German P800 and in fact more like ANSI 400 or 500. Now I will review all of my sand paper.

Dusty Burman

Robert Bell

True grit!

Rob Bell
Waynesville Area Rail Roaders

Jeff Young

Also thanks to everyone's contributions I realized the sand paper I thought was US 800 was German P800 and in fact more like ANSI 400 or 500. Now I will review all of my sand paper.
The ANSI and FEPA grades track well enough at lower grits that I never realised they diverged so much higher up. I also need to re-sort my paper….

Dusty

This FEPA vs ANSI thing explains why my '600' (FEPA) seemed more course than my ANSI 500. DUH.

Mark Kasprowicz

Surely this thread ought to be named "True Grit'!

Mark K