Topics

A Rookie and La Belle Kits

silent_11111

Howdy folks,

I went by my "local" (if you call 200 miles away local) shop today to pick up some gaming supplies.
I walked the train shelves and found they have some La Belle HOn3 kits. Specifically about 10 passenger car kits and a couple freight cars.

At about $10 each, they were tempting to me as the going price for Blackstone passenger cars is "hefty"...

I looked in the boxes and all the little wooden pieces made me a bit nervous.

I've never built any HOn3 car kits or any model train kit cars.

Would it be safe to start with La Belle kits or are they more of an advanced modeller thing?

Would the MRGS kits be a better place to start?

Thanks for any input.

Ken Vandevoort

If I could find La Belle HOn3 kits for $10, I would grab them.  They may be advanced, but follow the instructions and take your time.

Ken Vandevoort

John Stutz

If you are nervous about assembling the LaBelle kits, their website has about a dozen short illustrated articles on proven techniques for working on wood kits in general, and specifically on assembling LaBelle passenger cars.  These are available as downloadable .pdf files.  No charge if you download them yourself.

John Stutz

Risrwy@...

Short of ten tank cars my entire fleet, around 100+/-,  are wood kits. Take your time and double check yourself. Before long instructions will be a guide only.
--
Paul Buhrke
D&RGW Salida Division

Bill Nelson

Labelle kits  are  awesome.  at  $10.00 a  piece  buy  them  all.  new passenger car  kits kits  cost  in the  neighborhood  of  $60.00    These  are  advanced kits,  that  said  I  build  one 50 years  ago,  and  did  well  enough  that  it  still  lives  on  as  a  shed,  and  would  be  in  service  had  I  not  done  some  very  weird  kit bashing  to  make  it  into  a  steam  coach,   my  favorite  passenger  cars  are  all  built  from  Labelle  kits,    and  thier  freight  cars  are  not  shabby  either.

the  materials  are  outstanding,  the  process  is  relatively  simple,  shaping  the  bullnose  at  the  end  of  the  celestory  roof  is  the  most  challenging part  of  the  build,  requiring  careful  shaping ,  they  give  you  a  jig  to  check  the  shape.    I  got  some self  adhesive  sand  paper, sand  paper  and  stuck  it  to  a  scrap  piece  of  plywood,  and  working  with  coarse  sand  paper  first    worked  bit  by  bit  on  the  curve.   In  todays  world  finding  the  appropriate  passenger  trucks  may  be  a  challenge.

Seriously  if  you  could  get  ten  of  these  kits,  you  will  be  quite  good  at  building  them  before  you  are  done.   as  a  freshly  retired  guy  with  too  many  residences, and  little  to  no  budget,  I’m  quite  jealous  of  this  opportunity,  go  for  it,  before  someone  else  does.

Bill Nelson  (AKA Arthur, and  Willie Nelson)

On Sep 10, 2020, at 10:35 PM, silent_11111 via groups.io <silent_11111@...> wrote:

Howdy folks,

I went by my "local" (if you call 200 miles away local) shop today to pick up some gaming supplies.
I walked the train shelves and found they have some La Belle HOn3 kits. Specifically about 10 passenger car kits and a couple freight cars.

At about $10 each, they were tempting to me as the going price for Blackstone passenger cars is "hefty"...

I looked in the boxes and all the little wooden pieces made me a bit nervous.

I've never built any HOn3 car kits or any model train kit cars.

Would it be safe to start with La Belle kits or are they more of an advanced modeller thing?

Would the MRGS kits be a better place to start?

Thanks for any input.

Mike Chamberlain

They aren"t that hard  to assemble , the hardest part is the roof that you will have to carve the ends ............Mike

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 11:34 AM Bill Nelson <dgccandwrr@...> wrote:
[...]

lloyd lehrer

Remember, you can always use the mrgs version to avoid carving the duckbills:

lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 9:01 AM Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone.
I'll grab them next time I head out that way.

Paul

On Friday, September 11, 2020, 10:34:13 AM CDT, Bill Nelson <dgccandwrr@...> wrote:

[...]

LARRY KLOSE

I built my first LaBelle kit shortly after the passenger cars were introduced—I still remember the issue of Model Railroader with a photo of the introductory kit on the cover, January 1960.  I was 13 and I built the same kit as reviewed with little difficulty.  It was one of the first really complex craft kits I built.  I had few problems and it came out fine.  I think the kits are a good starter as long as the instructions are followed.  Painting will be the most difficult thing to deal with; as a nearly all wood kit it will need either solvent based paints or an application of either sanding sealer or primer before painting with acrylics to discourage warping and raised grain.

I’ve found that just jumping in and doing it is the best way to get going.

Good luck!

Larry

PS: According to the review that kit retailed for $4.95, postpaid.

Randy Hees

I always used shellac... which can be purchased at any home center in a spray bomb....  Shellac is alcohol based.

Randy Hees

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 4:06 PM LARRY KLOSE <lklose@...> wrote:

[...]

Curtis Brookshire

I highly recommend LaBelle's roof rounding kits for shaping the roof. You can find them on the website under button 3 parts and accessories. They're easy to use and just takes some good sandpaper (a sanding block helps greatly), and a little patience and you'll have a fine looking roof.

Your call of course whether you want the Labelle roof or MRGS. Enjoy building. I think LaBelle's are fine kits.

Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level NC

Climax@...

Take some wooden paint sturing sticks and spray them with spray on glue.  Then wrap them in sand paper.  They work great and are easily controlled.  I have them done in various grit sandpapers.

I started on Labelle kits back in the 1960's.  The one thing that  you should do is make a drilling jig for the wire hand grabs.  It keeps them level and properly spaced apart on freight cars.  I always finished mine with floquil paints and I put Sierra Scale Models real scale glass on the inside of the windows instead of the plastic. they look so much better.  I put full interiors in my cars as well.  Used up a lot of Grandt Line Coach seats, put dividers in and even had an RPO and observation car with tables, chairs and a kitchen.

I highly recommend LaBelle's roof rounding kits for shaping the roof. You can find them on the website under button 3 parts and accessories. They're easy to use and just takes some good sandpaper (a sanding block helps greatly), and a little patience and you'll have a fine looking roof.

Your call of course whether you want the Labelle roof or MRGS. Enjoy building. I think LaBelle's are fine kits.

Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level NC

Scott

Good greif.  I have been watching Ebay like a hawk for an Alamosa and it has been available all this time.

Oh well
Scott