D&RGW Wheel & Tie Car - What I'm Working On

Glenn Butcher

> What’s everyone else working on?

Just printed the first part of my D&RG #168 project, a rough version of the compressor.  I was particularly worried about how a 4K resin printer would resolve the fins on the cylinder; they show up just fine, although the white in the gaps is due to my failure to completely dry the part after washing.  I now feel confident to add other details, as I know they'll show up.  Here's a pic, part posed on 1/4" graph paper:

Bill Lugg

Quite impressive!  I have high hopes for the Anycubic 6K printer I just
unboxed a couple of days ago after seeing your results.

Bill Lugg

On 4/10/22 07:59, Glenn Butcher wrote:
What’s everyone else working on?
Just printed the first part of my D&RG #168 project, a rough version
of the compressor.  I was particularly worried about how a 4K resin
printer would resolve the fins on the cylinder; they show up just
fine, although the white in the gaps is due to my failure to
completely dry the part after washing.  I now feel confident to add
other details, as I know they'll show up.  Here's a pic, part posed on
1/4" graph paper:

Mark Lewis

Glenn,

The 168 project is in HO scale, correct? And the print shown is also in 1:87 scale?
VERY Impressive!!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Glenn Butcher

Yes, HO1:87 on both counts.

Here's the part design, 63 lines of OpenSCAD code.  All the dimensions are actual inches, for an HO scale part.  Still need to put in the piping interfaces and the nut-job on the crown.  I'll also print the mounting bracket, but I think I'll do the piping in some sort of soft-metal wire.

Glenn Butcher

Bill, I'll be very interested in what your 6k printer can do.

Mark Lewis

Glenn,

Thanks for your quick reply and information.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Mike Conder

Very nice!   I have been thinking about doing something similar for three FED 2-6-0’s that I have.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 7:59 AM Glenn Butcher <glenn.butcher@...> wrote:
> What’s everyone else working on?

Just printed the first part of my D&RG #168 project, a rough version of the compressor.  I was particularly worried about how a 4K resin printer would resolve the fins on the cylinder; they show up just fine, although the white in the gaps is due to my failure to completely dry the part after washing.  I now feel confident to add other details, as I know they'll show up.  Here's a pic, part posed on 1/4" graph paper:

Rio Grande

This is cool. What is the current state of your 168? Any other pictures of the model?

Glenn Butcher

This is cool. What is the current state of your 168? Any other pictures of the model?
Here's a screenshot of what I've modeled so far:

I slowed down CAD modeling to set up for 3D printing.  I did get Shapeways to print the domes; they turned out nice, but extrapolating the cost to do the whole locomotive that way is what compelled me to buy my own printer.  I have frame sides and side rods, laser-cut by OSHCut; but I'll probably switch out the frame with a FDM-printed version.  For the drivers, I found the right size at Scalelink, a UK shop. From them I procured drivers, HOn3 axles and hornblock bearings that fit my frame slots.  Here's a picture of those parts:

Note that the side rods don't line up with the driver centers, bad CAD on my part, will have to rework.

#168 looked to be a simple first scratchbuild; I'm glad it is, because this journey to tool up has been daunting...  :D