RGS Rico Engine House and Ridgway Roundhouse

Rio Grande

Anyone out there built these structures? I am starting my new layout and would like to include these buildings but doesn't seem there are kits available.

Some scratch build help and just general info would be great. Thank you!

Mike McCarville

I am not sure what scale you are after, so that is a good place to start I guess.  I don't have release date or pricing yet, but I can tell you that I will be releasing the Ridgway Office\Warehouse and the Ridgway Roundhouse kits in HO.  The Ridgway Office is first up for release very soon.  I have a sneak peak on my website MccarvilleStudios, under "News", and I will announce it there first.  My site is www.mccarvillestudios.com.  I have already built a demo, and I am in an exclusive partnership with a craftsman kit producer (not supposed to say who it is yet).  This will be a limited run, just in HO scale, with additional projects after the Ridgway Office and Roundhouse.  I will post kit walk-throughs on my YouTube channel and Facebook group as the products are released.  I hope to share more information soon in the next week or two.  Oh, and like you, I could not find kits for these structures, so I decided to take this more aggressive route than just finding a kit for just me.

Take care,
Mike McCarville
Web www.mccarvillestudios.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mccarvillestudios
Subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5hQbEZ3p1gc-yB2k6MAcg

ftgcss

Mike,

I don't know how to tell you this but you name the craftsman kit producer on your website. :)  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for Rico.

Scott

jerryc52

I have the following RGS specific kits I was planning to list for sale in a few weeks. Might as well do it now:

Manufacturer Kit Kit No. Qty Price
CC Crow Ridgway Brick Office 80/250 1 $175.00
CC Crow Ridgway Roundhouse 58/125 1 $425.00
Raggs to Riches Ridgway Depot RWD-HO 1 $275.00
Banta Modelworks Ridgway Boxcar Shed BMW-102 1 $25.00
Crystal River Products Vance Junction Coal Pockets 117-11
$125.00

Durango Press                                 Trout Lake Water Tank                            DP-119                    $35.00

The Ridgway roundhouse is from the second run of kits with the Goose stalls.

Anyone interested in these can contact me offline at jerryc52 AT yahoo DOT com

Jerry

Rio Grande

Thanks for all the replies so far. This is for Hon3.

The plan for my layout is to make it modular and build a number of different modules representing different scenes on the RGS (no room for a permanent layout) with largest module being 2x7' with that I am really not sure if I can even replicate a compressed version of Rico or Ridgway and thats a main reason why I'd like to build one these structures first and play around on built 2x7' surface.

Maybe for Ridgway I can settle on Sargents roundhouse from Banta I know its small and the incorrect building but seems to be a nice kit that would get the point across. As for rico maybe I can mock up a paper building with the proper dimensions to get an idea. Do you guys know the dimension of the Rico engine house? Dave Vollmer looks to have a nice model of both buildings.

Thank you.

Seb J

This is very interesting news Mike ! :)
Will you take reservations for the kits ? Or doing it first comes first served ?

Thanks,
Seb

Le mar. 22 mars 2022 à 16:35, Mike Mc <michaeljmccarville@...> a écrit :
[...]

Mark Kasprowicz

I started to build the Rico engine shed from Downtown Deco kits, but you need at least two of their engine house kits to have enough walls. You mention space as a problem and my issue with the second Rico engine house is that it is just that - the three tracks run parallel through it and Mike Blazak suggests that the HO length of the house should be about 18". I didn't have the space to do that plus the trackage at either end and add a wye (the Rico turntable never happened although planned) so I got Banta Sargents  kit with a couple of extra bays plus a kitwood turntable and went with that instead. Makes up nicely but getting the roof to sit correctly without gluing it down is a bit of a challenge - I think made more difficult in the extended version. Might try using miniature magnets to hold it down correctly.

Mark K

Mike McCarville

Scott,
LOL, okay yeah in that case the cat is out of the bag, it is Bill Banta who I am partnering with.  I should have kits in hand by next week, plus or minus whatever variable is added by shipping delays that are common.

Some other details include the following.  The walls are 3D printed masters and then cast so the kit has resin walls, which are much stronger than the CC Crow aged kits.  Roof is basswood and can be removable.  Windows and doors are laser cut and built up in layers which makes two tone paint easy.  I should have final costs soon.  No fancy ecommerce store yet: maybe someday.
--
Stay Well,
Mike McCarville

Web www.mccarvillestudios.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mccarvillestudios
Subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5hQbEZ3p1gc-yB2k6MAcg

Mike McCarville

Seb,
I have not taken any reservations largely due to the fact that I don't have final pricing nailed down.  That said, watch my website and/or Facebook group below for announcements about release.  I plan to push hard for the Ridgway roundhouse release, but that will be much larger obviously.  Again, same details as the Ridgway office, with resin cast walls, laser cut windows and doors, roofing included, and goose stalls as part of the kit.  This also will be a limited run.  We have an exclusive on this kit with Banta Modelworks, and great to work with Bill Banta directly on this project.
--
Stay Well,
Mike McCarville

Web www.mccarvillestudios.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mccarvillestudios
Subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5hQbEZ3p1gc-yB2k6MAcg

Mark Lewis

Mike,

Any possibility/thought of producing an applicable Turntable assembly,  for use with the Ridgway Roundhouse kit? Kitwood Hills did produce a great HOn3 Turntable kit, but Simon Cox has stopped producing them.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022, 9:50 AM Mike Mc <michaeljmccarville@...> wrote:
Seb,
I have not taken any reservations largely due to the fact that I don't have final pricing nailed down.  That said, watch my website and/or Facebook group below for announcements about release.  I plan to push hard for the Ridgway roundhouse release, but that will be much larger obviously.  Again, same details as the Ridgway office, with resin cast walls, laser cut windows and doors, roofing included, and goose stalls as part of the kit.  This also will be a limited run.  We have an exclusive on this kit with Banta Modelworks, and great to work with Bill Banta directly on this project.
--
Stay Well,
Mike McCarville
RGS in HOn3

Web www.mccarvillestudios.com

lloyd lehrer

I understood simon stopped the hon3 tt but the short tt kits in larger scale work. You just have to modify the bridge deck coverings to appropriate scale.

lloyd lehrer 310 951-9097

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022, 6:59 AM Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:
[...]

Jeff Reynolds

Mike,
It will be interesting to see what you come up with for Ridgway.
jefe

Mike McCarville

Mark,
Good suggestion!
--
Stay Well,
Mike McCarville

Web www.mccarvillestudios.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mccarvillestudios
Subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5hQbEZ3p1gc-yB2k6MAcg

Rio Grande

I am very interested to see the Ridgway roundhouse kit along with the price. Are there any pre production photos?

I was luck enough to get a Kitwood Hills turn table when they were available. A friend of mine bought a Walthers DCC n scale 130 ft turntable and converted it to Hon3 not quiet correct but it was very reliable and worked wonderfully.

Mike McCarville

Thanks for the interest, but nothing yet.  Watch my website below, as well as the FB and YT links.  Formal announcements will be issued there.

Thanks!
Mike
--
Stay Well,
Mike McCarville

Web www.mccarvillestudios.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mccarvillestudios
Subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5hQbEZ3p1gc-yB2k6MAcg

Mike McCarville

I released the HO scale RGS Ridgway Office\Warehouse kit for pre-order on my website.  Follow the link below if you would like to reserve one, or just are interested in more details.  We have already taken a dozen pre-orders, of a total of two dozen kits, if you are wondering if you should wait or not.  Shipping should be in the next few weeks, if not sooner.

Details:  https://mccarvillestudios.com/news-1
--
Stay Well,
Mike McCarville