SJM Co CONOCO Tank Car coupler conversion.

Mark Lewis

My project today, was to try to install Kadee 705 couplers on one of the new SJM Co CONOCO tank cars, in place of the original Kadee 714 couplers.
After removing one truck set and all pieces of the Kadee 714 and the entire coupler box(save the original coupler box mounting screw - it will be reused), I tried a complete 705 assembly.  It almost slide right into place!
The 705 coupler box is a tiny bit too wide, for the opening in the end beam. A few very careful swipes on the vertical edges of the end beam coupler box opening, with a small, narrow file and the 705 coupler box dropped right in. The mounting hole on the 705 box lines up exactly with the original hole in the frame, but the hole through the 705 box is too small for the original box mounting screw. I drilled out the hole first with a #55 drill bit, then with a #51 and the screw fit through perfectly. I reinstalled the 705 coupler assembly, installed the original screw( don't overtighten...it will bind up the coupler)and that's it. The coupler height is perfect.

dropframe46

Mark,

Thanks for the tips on installing the Kadee 705 couplers. The Kadee 705 couplers looks so much better than the Kadee 714 couplers. The photos really shows the comparison. I plan on giving my 705’s a light spray of a ‘grimy black’ color so the spring isn’t so noticeable.

Have you installed Kadee 705 couplers on any of the Blackstone freight cars?

Larry Olsen

Mark Lewis

Larry,

Attempted...yes.   Completed satisfactorily.....not yet!!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 9:15 PM dropframe46 <dd830tm2@...> wrote:
Mark,

Thanks for the tips on installing the Kadee 705 couplers. The Kadee 705 couplers looks so much better than the Kadee 714 couplers. The photos really shows the comparison. I plan on giving my 705’s a light spray of a ‘grimy black’ color so the spring isn’t so noticeable.

Have you installed Kadee 705 couplers on any of the Blackstone freight cars?

Larry Olsen

Jeff Reynolds

Mark, that's beautiful! I like the look of the 705's.
A sano installation at that.
I'm not used to everything being so crisp, clean, and unweathered.
jefe

Dave Trimble

The problem caused by the coupler.pins hitting the rails is a simple problem to fix. It’s caused by the pins not pushed all the way into the coupler.

To fix, grab the pin a push it into the coupler so that it’s fully seated.

Good luck,

Dave Trimble
508-360-3737

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM Jeff Reynolds <jefe4x4@...> wrote:
Mark, that's beautiful! I like the look of the 705's.
A sano installation at that.
I'm not used to everything being so crisp, clean, and unweathered.
jefe

Russ Norris

Sometimes the problem can be solved by bending the pin up a little.  Micro Mark and others sell special pliers for the job but a small pair of needle nose pliers can often work just fine.

Russ

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021, 10:26 PM Dave Trimble <dtrimble@...> wrote:
The problem caused by the coupler.pins hitting the rails is a simple problem to fix. It’s caused by the pins not pushed all the way into the coupler.

To fix, grab the pin a push it into the coupler so that it’s fully seated.

Good luck,

Dave Trimble
508-360-3737

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM Jeff Reynolds <jefe4x4@...> wrote:
Mark, that's beautiful! I like the look of the 705's.
A sano installation at that.
I'm not used to everything being so crisp, clean, and unweathered.
jefe

p. f. hollingsworth

for the folks with tons of the 714 couplers installed, but wishing to try the newer, better looking coupler, does it take much to uncouple them in the mismatches that would occur before full (if ever) conversion of the 'fleet'? As it is, I can uncouple the 714s with barely a wiggle of the parked cars. Of course, I have been doing it with a pick for forty five or so years. It's a point of pride that struggling with another would disturb, hahaha

Mark Lewis

I can only tell you of my experience,  on my layout that uses manual uncoupling, with trip pins clipped off and using bamboo skewers for the uncoupling procedure.
The 714 to 705 coupled cars uncouple with the slightest twist of the skewer.
Another benefit to using 705's is there is none of the annoying "Kadee bounce" during movement of trains, between cars.

My hope is that SJM Co, on future HOn3 rolling stock releases, makes the switch to Kadee 705's for their coupler of choice. There would be less parts to assemble and would only require a "minimal" widening of the end beam opening, where the coupler pocket sits.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021, 5:31 PM p. f. hollingsworth <2fisherman@...> wrote:
for the folks with tons of the 714 couplers installed, but wishing to try the newer, better looking coupler, does it take much to uncouple them in the mismatches that would occur before full (if ever) conversion of the 'fleet'? As it is, I can uncouple the 714s with barely a wiggle of the parked cars. Of course, I have been doing it with a pick for forty five or so years. It's a point of pride that struggling with another would disturb, hahaha

Jim Marlett

It still just amazes me that Kadee made a new narrow gauge coupler that wasn't be a drop in fit with the old box or for the cars that make up the majority of our current rolling stock. They'd have sold a ton of them if they had.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Nov 30, 2021, at 5:16 PM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Kasprowicz

Couldn't agree more Jim. It had to be a fast conversion for me to take up the new coupler. When the standard coupler for HOn3 is the 714, what kind of thinking does it take to make a replacement that doesn't fit!

Mark K

Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...>

Well, My spy told me the 705 creation was a rush job. It seemed that the tooling guy at Kadee was getting ready to retire and they wanted a new HOn3 coupler. So they took an older design they had and never used and had him make the dies for the 705. It's still a damned nice coupler. It just came too late for me. I had already gone with Sergent Sharon Couplers. But, the 705 mates quite nicely with the Sharon's. One downside I didn't like about the 705's. It's just really hard to convert one to a pilot coupler without the draft gear box. There is really not enough material in the 705 shank to work with. I'll probably end up using some eventually though.

Dale Buxton

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:50 PM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Couldn't agree more Jim. It had to be a fast conversion for me to take up the new coupler. When the standard coupler for HOn3 is the 714, what kind of thinking does it take to make a replacement that doesn't fit!

Mark K

p. f. hollingsworth

Mark Lewis, I thank you for your answer. It's a hopeful thing, then, to begin a slow conversion. Someday.
I agree with the pair (Marlett and Kasprowicz) about how strange the notion is that it couldn't be made to fit in an existing box. Buxton's notion that a 'hurry up' job is a good and worthy thing mystifies me. Maybe in a real time crisis, but not here. It's a hobby not a war or disaster- we had already waited decades, why not another season or so to find a new die making guy?

Dusty

When I realized that the 705s weren't going to be a drop in I experimented with the 714 centering device. Like would the 714 box center with a solid coupler rather than a split coupler. I welded a 714 into a solid, one piece coupler. Surprise, surprise it still centers. So the 705 could have been more friendly.

I felt the 705s were more challenging to 'pick' than the 714s but obviously the 705s look better and offer less slack.

If my mission were creating images for big time publication I would probably make great efforts to either hide the 714s or build a couple of 'Foreground' prop cars with Sergent couplers and perhaps narrow tread wheels.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707