D&RGW Coal Tower

Rio Grande

I am looking for a coal tower for my yard scene but at the moment don't have the time to build a Campbell kit. What plastic kit would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...>

Try to find an old Model Power Coal Tower kit on Ebay. It's based on the Chama and Durango towers.

Dale Buxton

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 1:59 AM threefootmodels via groups.io <threefootmodels=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am looking for a coal tower for my yard scene but at the moment don't have the time to build a Campbell kit. What plastic kit would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Mark Lewis

Walthers "Coaling Tower" #931-910, part of their Trainline series.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021, 4:09 AM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
Try to find an old Model Power Coal Tower kit on Ebay. It's based on the Chama and Durango towers.

Dale Buxton

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 1:59 AM threefootmodels via groups.io <threefootmodels=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am looking for a coal tower for my yard scene but at the moment don't have the time to build a Campbell kit. What plastic kit would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Find some dead flat rattle can color(s) and weather it a little.  You may never get around to building the Campbell kit.
This makes an almost unbelievable (at least if you don't look at the windows) change to the old Kibri western town kits.
EdW

Climax@...

Consider changing the windows to the old Grandt Line or Tichy Windows for fine muttons, put some Sierra Scale Models glass on the inside and some #402 LEDs under Campbells shades and you have a pretty convincing tower.

Find some dead flat rattle can color(s) and weather it a little.  You may never get around to building the Campbell kit.
This makes an almost unbelievable (at least if you don't look at the windows) change to the old Kibri western town kits.
EdW

Rio Grande

What kit is better? Walthers or Models Power?

Mark Lewis

I think the Walthers kit is the latest iteration of the old Model Power kit and the styrene castings look very good.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021, 9:48 PM threefootmodels via groups.io <threefootmodels=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
What kit is better? Walthers or Models Power?

Andrew Thompson

This kit was originally imported by AHM and then Tyco.  I don't remember if there was anybody was between Tyco and Model Power.  The kits were originally produced by Pola, which is now owned by Faller.  Faller produced this kit, along with 4 or 5 other former AHM/Pola kits, recently for the Walthers Trainline line.

Andy

Mark Kasprowicz

Edited

Just to show how close the Model Power and Campbell kits are. The MP has some additions of plastic 'timbering' and NWB's (as well as a few missing bits - it's in storage), the Campbells is is built from a kit and has the details of the loading area. Very close..... Remember that coal dust goes EVERYWHERE!!!

Mark Lewis

Mark,

Thanks for the side by side comparison photo. Nice builds on both.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021, 3:48 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Just to show how close the Model Power and Campbell kits are. The MP has some additions of plastic 'timbering' and NWB's (as well as a few missing bits - it's in storage), the Campbells is is built from a kit and has the details of the loading area. Very close..... Remember that coal dust goes EVERYWHERE!!!

Mark Kasprowicz

Thanks Mark. I must confess that I'm far happier building plastic kits rather than wooden ones. Brought up a diet of 1/72 model aircraft like Airfix. In my youth I could go into Woolworths and buy a fighter plane for the equivalent of 15 cents. I really liked the World War 1 and 2 aircraft rather than the modern jet stuff. And we used to have a bunch of magazines called Profile Publications which gave the history and more importantly a colour guide to the topic which included locomotives as well as aircraft and automobiles. Still have a few today.

Nostaglie kick over, sorry.

Mark K

Mark Lewis

Mark,

I too, am more of a styrene kit builder, although I don't mind working in wood.

I will be starting a build and detail make-over of a Walthers Coaling Tower kit, shortly, to duplicate, as close as possible, the Chama structure, which will be used on my new Chama yard shelf layout. I will post photos, when completed.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 10:32 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Thanks Mark. I must confess that I'm far happier building plastic kits rather than wooden ones. Brought up a diet of 1/72 model aircraft like Airfix. In my youth I could go into Woolworths and buy a fighter plane for the equivalent of 15 cents. I really liked the World War 1 and 2 aircraft rather than the modern jet stuff. And we used to have a bunch of magazines called Profile Publications which gave the history and more importantly a colour guide to the topic which included locomotives as well as aircraft and automobiles. Still have a few today.

Nostaglie kick over, sorry.

Mark K

John Hutnick

Is this Model Power coaling tower the former AHM Minikits 5833 coaling tower?

Mark Lewis

John,

Looking at a few examples of the AHM #5833 kit on ebay.....it looks very close to the Walthers #931-910 Coaling Tower kit, but the Walthers kit has more defined details and molding. Probably upgraded die/mold work, for the very old, original Minikits dies.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 8:32 PM John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:
Is this Model Power coaling tower the former AHM Minikits 5833 coaling tower?

Rio Grande

Yes those are both great looking coal towers. I did actually start building the Campbell kit a few years ago, didn't get to far but I did build the lower building/house thing (not sure what its really called) maybe I can use that with the plastic kit.

Mark Kasprowicz

The plastic shed is actually OK, (it's also part of the Sanding tower kit I believe). If you're not happy building the Campbell kit then why complicate matters and just build the complete plastic kit without trying to make it into a hybrid.
As far as the Walthers version is concerned I wonder how much difference there is between it and the original. I've been  told that altering plastic injection moulds is not quite as easy as it sounds. One thing that is different is that the Walthers version has a base on whch it stands.
The main changes I made were using plastic Evergreen timbers and Grandt line NBW's. There's one on Ebay right now for $15!

Mark K

Rio Grande

Can you provide a link for the $15 eBay special? I can’t find it.

Nigel Phillips

Go to eBay, search Model Power 410. There are 100+ at around $25-$27 including postage. The $14 one is the cheaper EST but with high postage.

Nigel

On Wednesday, December 1, 2021, threefootmodels via groups.io <threefootmodels=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Can you provide a link for the $15 eBay special? I can’t find it.

Mark Kasprowicz

I cannot see the internal US postal rates only the cost to send items to the UK and in some cases the post is $65.00!!!!!

For a $15 item? 'Interesting but stupid' Rowan and Martin

Mark K

Nigel Phillips

Sorry, you're on the other side of the pond? I gave up on UK eBay stuff for the exactly the same reason. Try Gaugemaster, they carry a fair amount of US sourced material.

Nigel

Nigel