From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Nigel Phillips
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2021 12:47 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] 0-6-0 yard switcher

I need some help here. I have been looking for an 0-6-0 yard switcher with sloped-back tender. Was such a model ever made?

Nigel

John Stutz

Nigel

Model Die Casting did an SP (?) 0-6-0 yard switcher with sloped-back tender.   This was a 1950's model, all in die-cast zinc alloy.  Kemtron offered brass piston valve cylinders and working(?) outside Walscharts valve gear to update the original slide valve cylinders and Stephenson gear.  I think these are still n the PSC catalogue, along with other parts.

If this suits your needs, I have most of a part-built kit on the shelves.

John Stutz

On October 17, 2021 10:46 AM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:

I need some help here. I have been looking for an 0-6-0 yard switcher with sloped-back tender. Was such a model ever made?

Nigel

Ric Case

There are quite a few brass offerings!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Oct 17, 2021, at 2:45 PM, John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:

Nigel

Model Die Casting did an SP (?) 0-6-0 yard switcher with sloped-back tender.   This was a 1950's model, all in die-cast zinc alloy.  Kemtron offered brass piston valve cylinders and working(?) outside Walscharts valve gear to update the original slide valve cylinders and Stephenson gear.  I think these are still n the PSC catalogue, along with other parts.

If this suits your needs, I have most of a part-built kit on the shelves.

John Stutz
On October 17, 2021 10:46 AM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:

I need some help here. I have been looking for an 0-6-0 yard switcher with sloped-back tender. Was such a model ever made?

Nigel

Climax@...

Nigel

I have one that is super detailed, painted and weathered and looks as good as any brass model.  It is nu,bered 12 but no lettering.  It is the cast metal tender.  If you are intested  emial me at Climax@...

DAve

I need some help here. I have been looking for an 0-6-0 yard switcher with sloped-back tender. Was such a model ever made?

Nigel

Nigel Phillips

RIc,

There are, but not as far as i can see with sloped tenders. Needs to be a Baldwin or close as well. The PSC one is close enough. Hen's teeth though.

Nigel

On Sunday, October 17, 2021, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
[...]

I have 2 Omaha 0-6-0 with slope back tenders and 1ma and pa with slope back tender here to receive decoders at this time!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Oct 17, 2021, at 11:29 PM, Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:

[...]

Interesting chase. Thanks, everybody for the suggestions. Many of the models suggested so far seem to be HO, not HOn3. I looked at the early MDC catalogs , seems the switcher is HO. No mention of a HOn3 (that said, I could only find 1949 and 1955) There are a couple of 0-6-0 tender locomotives on eBay at the moment, both with regular tenders. The PSC model looks to be what I am really looking for, few and far though.

The best pathway at the moment looks like a collection of parts from PSC (if they still have them)  and some custom etches, if I want something that came out of Bladin in 1890.

I knew modeling in this scale could be difficult with regard to rolling stock, but not this difficult...might just be too many challenges though.

Nigel

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:40 AM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
[...]

Nigel I must have missed you looking for a narrow gauge switch engine!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Oct 18, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:

[...]

jaybird

I'm a long-term lurker in these parts, but I must say I'm surprised no has made a most obvious suggestion. Find an HOn3 Mogul, as cheap as possible, and make the conversion yourself. Kidder's HOn3 Porter Moguls and FED 2-6-0's are around. Yeah, they're a lot more expensive now than back in the day, but aren't we all.

I recall Chuck Yungkurth's Bellefonte & Snowshoe article in MR (Sept, '63 ?) that included a Porter HO mogul someone had converted to an 0-6-0; I think it even had a sloped tender.

You might get lucky and find a basket case of HON3 Mogul parts cheap.

As I think about it, if worse comes to worse, a light 2-8-0 could be cut down to an 0-6-0. I have a Ma&Pa 2-8-0 #26 cut down to a mogul; it looks pretty cool and runs well.

Buck

[...]

Earl Knoob

Back in 1960's, Ken Kidder used to import a generic 0-4-0 with a short tender in HOn3.

In the late 50's or early 60's MDC/Roundhouse briefly made an HOn3 version of its SP 0-6-0 switcher.  It was exactly like the standard gauge version, only gauged to 3-foot.  I have one, it looks just as strange as it sounds.

[...]

Mike Conder

A long time ago I picked up.a.couple of brass, old HOn3 locos and one is an 0-6-0 with a slope-back tender.  It is fairly crude by today's standards, I'm guessing it's from the '50's or '60's, and not operational yet.

So something is out there but I'm thinking a modified FED with a 3D printed tender would be a lot easier.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 10:23 AM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
[...]

How about some photos?

On October 18, 2021 4:49 PM Earl Knoob <earlk489@...> wrote:

[...]

LOL - this is an HOn3 group. HO switchers are readily available. Unlike HOn3 ones.

I do have a plan B. I have the major dimensions of the Alberta Railway and Coal Co. Baldwin 0-6-0 from 1890, as well as some photographs from around that time. The other switchers in the system were 2  Hinkley 0-6-0s from 1888. That one needs a trip to Boston, as online records are scarce.

Nigel

On Monday, October 18, 2021, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
[...]

Interesting.  Purpose built switchers were fairly rare on North American common carrier narrow gauge lines.  I only knew of the D&RG/RGW 0-6-0t's,  a pair of ~1880 Baldwins on the NdM, and the Oahu's four outside framed 0-6-0's.  Which last shows how far I have to reach to find examples.

Porter built a number of 0-6-0's, but the common carrier examples seem to have been purchased as early road engines, and only later downgraded to switching.  Most seem to have been for industrial users.

Anybody else have examples of such switchers.

Lackawanna Iron and Steel had an interesting borderline example: A large 3'gauge, inside framed 0-8-0 weighing in at 78,760 lb on drivers, with close coupled drivers and notable for a 6' wide grate Wootten firebox and center cab.  Presumably it was intended for heavy switching around a steel plant,

On October 19, 2021 6:11 AM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:

[...]

John,

The amorenxi Southernnorseres an 0-6-0 switcher from Porter circa 1901/02.  It looked a bit like their 20" 0-4-0 Porters but was 36" gauge.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:18 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
[...]

 Thanks Mike

Morenci Southern #6 was undoubtedly purchased for use as a switcher.   But that was circa 1911, and it had been built in 5/98 for the Moctezuma Copper Co at Nocozari in Sonora, when that mine was still 90 miles from the nearest railhead.  So it was originally an industrial locomotive.

Do you know if #6 was based at Guthrie or Morenci?  If Guthrie, it would probably have been switching both 3' and SG.  Regarding Guthrie, do you know if MC used gravity transfer for coal, coke, or petroleum?

John

On October 19, 2021 11:23 AM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

[...]

Randy Hees

Hi John,

Adding to your list of purpose built narrow gauge switchers... the East Tennesse and Western North Carolina had a 0-8-0, built by Alco Brooks in 1906... I believe as built it had a slope back tender which was rebuilt as a conventional squared off tender...  Scrapped c. 1940...

As for a model, have you checked the dimensions of the Kemtron 0-6-0t kit... it is based on the Baldwin/D&RG locos, but might be a good underframe/drivers/cylinders...

Randy Hees

Nigel Phillips

John,

The "Alberta Lines" had 3 purpose-built 0-6-0 yard shifters.1 Baldwin, 2 Hinkley. The Baldwin was lettered for the Great Falls & Canada Railway when built, presumably rostered in Great Falls, MT, the Hinkleys would have been rostered in Lethbridge and possibly Dunmore, AB as part of the North Western Navigation and Coal Co., later the Alberta Railway & Coal Co. Photo below says Baldwin #1, I think it is one of the Hinkley locomotives, as the tender doesn't look to be sloped and domes are wrong for the Baldwin.

Nigel

image.png

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 2:18 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
[...]

That's what the Myrick roster says but he also references a runaway in 1906 by the "goat" which jumped the tracks on the 3rd look and required rebuilding.  A Moctezuma loco was borrowed until it was repaired.

This is backed up by a closer-up photo In got from the Az Historical Society of the No. 1 in Morenci plaza that is obviously this "goat," and a couple of other sites from further away.

Not sure if it was Detroit Copper but I think the Myrick roster is not 100% accurate but it is the best one published.

Mike Conder