HOn3 Gem EBT large 2-8-2

Robert Veefkind

I have an old PFM mike described as a WP&Y engine    looks like 48 " drivers. All those 2 sand dome engines look similar to me . Almost like the USRA designed them   Bob V.

Robert Bell

I had a Seiko/Gem EBT 2-8-2 until recently that I had acquired thinking I could turn it into a White Pass #80 or 81.  The WhitePass 70 class all had 44" drivers as did the 80/81.  The EBT mikes had 48" drivers.  Sitting next to my four White Pass 70 class engines, the EBT mike was a little taller and larger overall, but not ridiculously so.  I think that the EBT engines are just larger engines than the White Pass locos.  In general, I did not think it was going to be worth the effort, so I sold it.

The tender is WAY off from either the original White Pass 70/71 tenders or the White Pass 190 class tenders, which all of their locomotives got after WWII.  Prior to 1950, the White Pass burned coal.  All of their engines were converted in one winter to burn oil.

Rob Bell
Modeling the White Pass & Yukon Route in HOn3
Waynesville, NC

On Saturday, May 22, 2021, 06:55:53 PM EDT, wayne_h_sanderson <whsander@...> wrote:

I have one of those Gem EBT large brass 2-8-2s in HOn3. I know it’s not correct for the prototype, a bit too large.

Question: Has anyone brass bashed one of these into White Pass & Yukon 70, 71 or 72?

Russ Norris

Hey Rick, speaking of the Hallmark engines, I have #14 in the shop right now.  After 10 years of being my only operating steamer- not to mention it was the first engine I tried putting wipers on the drivers and learned how to install digital decoders - it was starting to make grinding noises when operating.  This weekend I disassembled the gear tower, cleaned a lot of goop from the gear box and gears, and successfully reassembled it -- and it not only runs, it runs quieter than before!  Now on to #15.  If I am successful I will have two operating engines!

Russ

On Sat, May 22, 2021, 9:09 PM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
Wayne: the size difference is tolerable. The model represents the three larger Mike’s!
When painted and lettered for the larger mikes unless they are sitting side by side with one of the Hallmark models you can have a nice model!
The white pass engines had smaller tenders and I believe had oil bunkers. Can’t really remember. I model the EBT and have had 1 of the w p models a few years ago!
Ran nice but decided to part with it!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio

[...]