Questions about Blackstone c-19

Frank Smelt Jr

Being new to the hobby I have couple of questions about some issues I am having.   My layout is on the smaller size (4x8) and I recently acquired a “lightly used” Blackstone C-19 number 342 on E-bay.

Issue 1.   I have a new NCE 46 DCC Control System.   No matter what I do the system cannot find the locomotive.  I get the sound but locomotive will not move and functions like whistle, light, etc. do not work.

Issue 2.   I also have an older Digitrax DCS 50.   This will recognize the locomotive and will operate all functions associated with same.   However, the locomotive does not operate smoothly on a consistent basis.   It will stop intermediately the start again, also operating in reverse can be challenging.   Track seems to be very clean and I make sure I clean it before operating.  Wheels on the tender and loco have also been cleaned.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank S.

cmdrwmriker

Frank, do a factory reset on the locomotive. You can find info on how to do this on the NCE website. The decoder you have in a blackstone loco should be a soundtraxx unit. There are also instructions on how to determine the decoder mfg if a soundtraxx reset does not work. Once reset you will have to control the love by short address “3”. I think you will be okay.

On Jan 28, 2021, at 5:38 PM, Frank Smelt Jr <frank.smelt@...> wrote:

[...]

The word love should have been locomotive. As to the hesitant running when using the digitrax dcc system: this does not bode well for the actual operation of the engine. Once you are happy with whatever dcc system you choose, I would place the loco upside down in a foam rubber cradle and use some alligator test leads to operate the engine. This will tell you if the hesitant running is a feature of the loco or of the track. Best results to you.
Bill

On Jan 28, 2021, at 9:33 PM, cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com> wrote:

[...]

Mark Kasprowicz

Blackstone locos with the original decoder default to their road numbers after a factory reset, not '3'. Factory reset - CV8=8 then recylcle the power.

Mark K
Oxon England.

Jim Marlett

I will confirm that. I reset some and, much to my surprise, they reset to their road number. Very cool.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Jan 29, 2021, at 2:14 AM, Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:

Blackstone locos with the original decoder default to their road numbers after a factory reset, not '3'. Factory reset - CV8=8 then recylcle the power.

Mark K
Oxon England.

cmdrwmriker

Thank you for educating me.  That is an interesting feature.  Flies in the face of previous knowledge, though.  Oh well, not too important!  Thanks to all.
bill m.

I will confirm that. I reset some and, much to my surprise, they reset to their road number. Very cool.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Jan 29, 2021, at 2:14 AM, Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Blackstone locos with the original decoder default to their road numbers after a factory reset, not '3'. Factory reset - CV8=8 then recylcle the power.

Mark K
Oxon England.

Randy

Frank

When using the NCE system, do not enter the loco number with a leading zero. It causes problems running the loco in my experience

Randy J.