Rio Grande Models trucks

Scott Baker

Hello All,
First time post(er) here! I have had success with RGM trucks using CA. I usually clean the castings well with soapy water first. Also, (and this works for Precision Scale Co. trucks as well), I put the wheel sets in and while the CA (or solder) sets, I hold the truck right side up with wheelsets on flat surface or test track. This seems to help them sit on the rails equalized better after drying for smooth operation. Of course ,you can bend them and tweak them later, but I have found this can be problematic at times. Also, keep an eye on the sideframes as the glue/solder cures and make sure they are plumb, it is easy to attach them at an angle.
Hope this helps,
Scott Baker

Brian Kopp

Jesse,
here is my truck building jig that works for Rio Grande HOn3 trucks. The truck is built upside down with the bolster sitting along the plastic stock. I glue one sideframe to the bolster first using medium ACC. Place the glued assembly (bolster and one sideframe) in the jig with the second sideframe. You can then pivot the sideframes to work the wheelsets in before gluing the second sideframe.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

John Stutz

Jesse

There are high impact grades of ACC.  These are typically of medium viscosity and moderate setting time.  Check out the local model aircraft supply source - they need the high impact strength in landing gear & etc.  As do the drone flying folk.

If you have the NG&SLG disc, check out Boone Morrison's articles.  I believe that he did one on assembling these trucks.  Jim Vail may also have written on this subject.

John Stutz

On January 16, 2021 7:15 PM Jesse Day <jesseadayii@...> wrote:

Greetings all. I am hoping that someone around here might be able to offer up a little advice regarding the assembly of RGM white metal tricks. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a couple dozen pairs of trucks just before Eric closed up shop. The problem I have is that although I have assembled several white metal vehicle kits, I have absolutely no experience in the assembly of white metal trucks. It seems to me that CA works fine for static models I am afraid it wouldn't hold up to the rigors of constant flexing and movement required for operational truck sets on my layout. Anyone have suggestions or comments regarding the durability and assembly? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Wayne

I'd use 5 minute epoxy.  It gives you a few minutes working time for adjustments and when cured the bond can't be broken.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 9:02 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
  Just be sure you use low temperature bismuth alloy solder.
 you will melt the frames if you use lead solder.
You can use two part epoxy instead if you prefer.  It sticks very well.
-Steve Hatch

--
Wayne Taylor

Steve Hatch

  Just be sure you use low temperature bismuth alloy solder.
 you will melt the frames if you use lead solder.
You can use two part epoxy instead if you prefer.  It sticks very well.
-Steve Hatch

Climax@...

The white metal trucks I have seen all seem to have a dash of solder on the inside between the side frame and bolster.
DB

Greetings all. I am hoping that someone around here might be able to offer up a little advice regarding the assembly of RGM white metal tricks. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a couple dozen pairs of trucks just before Eric closed up shop. The problem I have is that although I have assembled several white metal vehicle kits, I have absolutely no experience in the assembly of white metal trucks. It seems to me that CA works fine for static models I am afraid it wouldn't hold up to the rigors of constant flexing and movement required for operational truck sets on my layout. Anyone have suggestions or comments regarding the durability and assembly? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Jesse Day