Banta Modelworks

Wayne

Anyone out there have experience in assembling Banta Modeworks kits.  They have several good looking deports (in photos anyway) and I'm considering getting one or two, Maybe Ophir and Vance Junction.   I've assembled many Campbell Scale kits and find them to be very good quality.  The Builders In Scale and the Model Masterpieces have been outstanding.  But I know nothing of the Banta models.  Anyone care to give their opinion or experience with these?

Ric Case

Great kits thoroughly enjoyed what I have seen! Building the EBT loco repair kit now!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Dec 20, 2020, at 7:18 PM, Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...> wrote:

Anyone out there have experience in assembling Banta Modeworks kits.  They have several good looking deports (in photos anyway) and I'm considering getting one or two, Maybe Ophir and Vance Junction.   I've assembled many Campbell Scale kits and find them to be very good quality.  The Builders In Scale and the Model Masterpieces have been outstanding.  But I know nothing of the Banta models.  Anyone care to give their opinion or experience with these?

Jeff Young

Two different beasts there: Campbell, BIS and MM are craftsman kits while Banta are laser cut.

That being said, I’d say the Banta are definitely higher quality than Campbell, and even a slight nudge above the other two.

(But if woodgrain going the wrong way annoys you then you’ll need to do some corrective action with any laser kit.)

Steven Haworth

I've built many Banta kits - see my Blog (below for link) for photos.  Vance Jct and its outbuildings goes together very nicely.  Windows are all laser-cut, not plastic, and that adds a lot.  Construction and design is excellent, and the results are excellent as well.  Highly recommended !!

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.com/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 6:32 PM Jeff Young <jeff@...> wrote:
Two different beasts there: Campbell, BIS and MM are craftsman kits while Banta are laser cut.

That being said, I’d say the Banta are definitely higher quality than Campbell, and even a slight nudge above the other two.

(But if woodgrain going the wrong way annoys you then you’ll need to do some corrective action with any laser kit.)

NarrowMinded1

Checkout Michael McCarville on YouTube. He has built many Banta kits including my Broad Top Mountain Models EBT machine shop kit. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5hQbEZ3p1gc-yB2k6MAcg

--
Nathan M. Kline
Nate's HOn3 East Broad Top RR & Coal Co.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJMoICFWw9Muse6xm8moiQ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/278667960227536
MeWe Group: https://mewe.com/group/5fbb79e7edc4177fe935a858
Nate's Light Iron Hobbies: http://nateslightironhobbies.com
Broad Top Mountain Models: http://broadtopmountainmodels.com

Rick Rhode <rvrhode@...>

I have built several Banta kits and all have been superb!  Not only that,but Bill Banta is stands 100% behind all his products and will correct any deficiencies immediately. A true gentleman of the hobby.

                                                                     Rick Rhode

On Sunday, December 20, 2020, 09:26:20 PM EST, NarrowMinded1 <nathan.kline83@...> wrote:

[...]

Climax@...

I agree he is a wonderful person.  I needed the Propatina mine but in reverse image.  Although he told me that he could not make a kit like that for me he did allow me to copy the design.  I made a few changes and additions but it will is identifiable.  The wood siding is actually wooden coffee sturing sticks.

[...]

John

Bill is a real nice guy. I've met him at the narrow gauge Conventions we've had (remember those?) I wanted to model the Otowi station, so he ran a special set of sides without the windows. Super nice of him😊
His kits are well thought out and go together with no problems. Well written instructions too!
John Peckham
Torrance, CA

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 7:57 PM, Climax@...
<Climax@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Mc

Wayne,
I have built many Banta kits, and find them far superior to many other kits, especially previous generations kits.  I have built all the Ophir Loop and Vance Junction Banta Modelworks kits, and if I have any issue, Bill Banta is happy to resolve it quickly.  The most recent kit I completed was the large East Broad Top machine shop, with a 14" x 22" footprint.  It was so well designed and fit together so well that I was able to glue the separate roof sections together as one piece, and I never used the corner trim pieces included to cover up any wall joints at the corners if gaps appeared.  It has lots of opportunity for customization too, which made it lots of fun.  I have several Banta kits that I bought second copies of, simply because I enjoyed them, and will change them around to appear as different structures.

If you are looking for a Ophir Loop structure, the Oilton\Gilton Saloon kit was recently updated and improved, so buy that direct from Banta Modelworks to be sure you have a new one.  The Vance Junction kit I would recommend is the out buildings, since you get to build several old rolling stock cars converted as sheds and the depot which is actually the old passenger car on the ground.  The large Vance Junction structure that looks like the depot is actually the section house.  Technology and instructions constant are refined, so getting a new kit from the manufacturer will contain any changes or edits.  (I have contributed my share of suggestions.)

I have videos for about 15 Banta Modelworks structures, and some background stories on the associated scenes, with 2 videos getting edited this month.  Good luck and reach out if you have any questions.  Bill Banta is also an excellent source for answers.

Stay well,
Mike McCarville

Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5hQbEZ3p1gc-yB2k6MAcg Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/HOScaleTutorials

Mark Kasprowicz

Wayne,

If you've successfully built 'bundle of sticks' kits like Cambells you will easily adapt to lazer cut ones. The two that I find superb to deal will are Bill Banta and Joe Fuss (Raggs to Riches). Both produce lazer kits that fit together easily. The last Banta kit I made was the Sargents locomotive house with two extra bays. In fact the first ever kit I built when I returned to this hobby was Pagosa Junction and a little while ago I freshened it up and was able to obtain new windows and doors for it from Banta. But my greatest pleasure was finishing Joe Fuss's Ridgway depot, the full length version. In fact if you suffer rom Shinglitis (a fear of attaching shingles to walls and roofs) I might suggest passing on this one.
Mark K
Oxon England.

Wayne

Edited

With all this positive feedback I'll have to stipulate that these Banta kits are really good.  Decided to start small and ordered 3 kits from Harris Hobbies: 2137 - Monero Depot, 2019 - Rico Section House and 2104 - Gato Depot.  We'll see what I accomplish with these.  Now....if he only produced a Taos Junction Depot!

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:00 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
[...]

Wayne Taylor

Steven Haworth

I'm working (slowly) on Raggs' Ridgway depot kit myself at the moment; adding some interior detail & lighting - it's a great kit.  Raggs actually designed most of the depot kits for Banta btw - which explains why they're similar.
And btw - poking around Raggs' site I realized he's now doing an HO (as well as the earlier S) gauge model of the JJ Harris warehouse in Dolores.  I've had that warehouse in my layout design from day one, expecting to scratch build it, so this is really great news for me.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 1:00 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, it took me quite a time too. I knew about the Banta/ Raggs connection but wasn't sure whether it was public knowledge. Raggs writes in the Ridgway instructions that the shingles can take 18 hours to complete. I would not argue with that estimate. But a great kit as you say. Stunning when it's on the railroad and lit up. I recently built the Builders in Scale Tennessee Pass depot but replaced all the wooden siding with the correct board and batten styrene sheet. Building that made me appreciate how well the Banta and Raggs kits are designed.
I saw the JJ Harris warehouse but unfortunately do not have the space for it at the moment but may figure something out. It is tempting.

Mark K
Oxon In deep sh1t England.

Mark Kasprowicz

Wayne,

Tres Peidras was very similar to Gato (Pagosa Jct) without the bullet holes!

Mark K
Oxon England

Wayne

My bad.  I meant to say that it would be nice he he would produce a Taos Junction depot, not the Tres Piedras one.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 9:55 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Wayne,

Tres Peidras was very similar to Gato (Pagosa Jct) without the bullet holes!

Mark K
Oxon England

--
Wayne Taylor

Climax@...

Even better if he produced Taco's and Beer!
DB

My bad.  I meant to say that it would be nice he he would produce a Taos Junction depot, not the Tres Piedras one.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 9:55 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Wayne,

Tres Peidras was very similar to Gato (Pagosa Jct) without the bullet holes!

Mark K
Oxon England

--
Wayne Taylor

Climax@...

Even better if he produced some Taco's and Beer!
DB

My bad.  I meant to say that it would be nice he he would produce a Taos Junction depot, not the Tres Piedras one.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 9:55 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Wayne,

Tres Peidras was very similar to Gato (Pagosa Jct) without the bullet holes!

Mark K
Oxon England

--
Wayne Taylor

Mike Conder

Wayne are you on the Chili Line .io group?   There is a guy there who is doing upgraded drawings of the Taos Junction depot in 3D and has done a 3D print of it.  He also stated that he was going to post 2D drawings after he cleans them up a bit.

There are custom laser cutting people around, I know a few, who could cut walls and door and windows and roofs from such a drawing.  Not sure it’d have all the tabs and slots etc that make the Banta and Raggs kits so nice, but it’d be faster and more accurate than doing them all by hand.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:09 AM Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Thanks for the heads up, Mike.  I am in the Chili Line .io group but haven't seen anything pop up lately on the taos Junction depot model.  Maybe I should spend a little time scrolling through the posts there.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 1:58 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
[...]

Maybe it was on the Facebook Chili Line page?

Mike Conder