From: cmdrwmriker
Sent: Dec 20, 2020 1:36 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] DCC and Uintah 2-6-6-2

I am sitting here looking at my PFM 2-6-6-2.  I have it apart; it is unpainted, and I have a split gear on the drive mechanism.  I am ignorant of most of what I have read here about gear sizes, etc.  I contacted NWSL and they did not have the replacement gear but suggested I use one of their Hi-Lo drives.  Ok, now you know where I have been.  The question is about DCC.  There is not much empty space in this model.  But, if I am going to use it, which I would very much like to do, I would want DCC and sound.  And LED lighting.  And a keep alive circuit!  LOL!  talk about 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag!  I am thinking if the boiler weight is removed, there may be enough room for the electronics (a TSU2 will fit inside)-the speaker can be in the coal bin (no tube vents-or maybe fake ones).  Actually, looking at the coal bin, perhaps if I cut open the bottom of it, there would be enough room for a sugar cube inside and then I could multiply the vent tube "holes" to let the sound out.  This would be almost easy if there were no wires.  The water tanks can be filled with liquid gravity or some other heavy material to recapture the mass of the boiler weight.  Has anyone out there done this modification? If so, a photo or two or a billion words would be appreciated.
ol' bill
P.S.  as an "out" I do have an aux water car...almost makes the mod easy...Except for those dang wires!

cmdrwmriker

Here is an associated question: Does anyone out there have a NWSL 2214-6 and a NWSL 2215-6 that could be sold?  these are the two numbers of the gears it takes to repair the original PFM/United Drive.  Obtaining these would be a great help.
Thank you in advance,
bill

Mick Moignard

Whatever you do, put the speaker in the smokebox where it should be.  Not in the tender or bunker on the tank locos, that’s where the decoder can go.

I’ve dealt with a few of these with split gears and in fact have one here as I write.  I’ve used NWSL gears, possibly 148-6 or 158-6 as suggested by https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0250/4032/2669/files/Gears_1_2.pdf?263 but I can’t remember for sure.

Mick
________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.

Paul Sturtz

I used NWSL Part# 2214-6 and 2215-6 to replace the broken gears in my URY 2-6-6-2 but not sure if they still list them.  Also added ventilation tubes to the coal bunker per prototype photos.
Paul

George A.Nefstead Sr.

I have done 3 conversions of this type in similar models  ( Sumpter Valley # 250 & 251 ) both of the have tenders but the drives are the same. NWSL suggestion of using an hi/low gear box system is O.K. Only that a HOn3 model is a bit tight for their gear tower castings . And the distance between towers may be too short for proper operation. Also the boiler will need to be modified to accommodate for the forward engine swing and assembly of the model.
As for replacement of the failed gear,  Which gear has failed? The axel gear? Or one of the tower gears? I may have the gears in my spare parts drawer that I removed from my conversions if you’re interested? Let me know.

Geo.....

On Dec 20, 2020, at 12:36 PM, cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com> wrote:

[...]

Dale Buxton

Contact “The Shay Fixer” he has a great many PFM Uintah and Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2 repair parts.

Dale Buxton

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 11:36 cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com> wrote:
[...]

This photo didn't show up so I'm re-posting it here.
Paul