I'm looking for a remotoring-regearing guru/mentor

Roger Clay

Hi folks,

I’m just returning to the hobby after several decades, and I’m looking for someone that can provide me with insight, suggestions and some handholding around picking and installing motors and drive mechanisms in a variety of HOn3 locos (FED Spartan 2-8-0, 4-4-0, 2-6-0) an old United 2-6-6t Mason Bogie). I’ve done a bunch of Google searches and they leave my head spinning. I really want to learn this aspect of the hobby, but it’s feeling a little overwhelming and some clear advice or a place to find a good step-by-step tutorial, would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California
mobile & txt: 415-233-1290

Climax@...

The 7th direction, is that something like the 9th House?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Dec 17, 2020 12:16 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] I'm looking for a remotoring-regearing guru/mentor

Hi folks,

I’m just returning to the hobby after several decades, and I’m looking for someone that can provide me with insight, suggestions and some handholding around picking and installing motors and drive mechanisms in a variety of HOn3 locos (FED Spartan 2-8-0, 4-4-0, 2-6-0) an old United 2-6-6t Mason Bogie). I’ve done a bunch of Google searches and they leave my head spinning. I really want to learn this aspect of the hobby, but it’s feeling a little overwhelming and some clear advice or a place to find a good step-by-step tutorial, would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

Wayne

I feel your pain.  I, too, returned to the hobby about 2 years ago, after an absence of 20 years.  What I've found is that model railroading is a dying hobby and all of my good old sources are gone.  HOn3 has been hit the hardest.  And now there's also the division between DC and DCC.
My local hobby shop, Trains West, is long gone. Great HOn3 sources like Mitchells and Caboose Hobbies are gone.  Northwest Short Line's available motors are now mostly useless for HOn3'ers.
Loco Doc has shut down.
About the only source for HOn3 parts, locos and cars is eBay and most of those listings are misleading and definitely overpriced.
This having been said, the hobby still is alluring to many of us.  I've gotten a lot of good information from the Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette, especially the older issues.  Also, some of the HOn3 Annuals have been helpful to me, but not the newest issues.
Hang in there.  Part of the fun is the research.

--
Wayne Taylor

martin feldwick

Coincidence I was about to ask the same  .I bought a couple of FED's in the full knowledge they run like drunken pigs .Mainly as I have the Sloane decals to [aint them .I still want a PFM Mason bogies .I painted a couple for Victors a few decades a go or four  and still fancy one for myself .Not sure whether to rip out all geraring in teh FED's and fit NWSL gearboxes or try a new morot in the tender first .Any lost  souls on here done this ? Harrystoyshop on EBay UK have quite few variants of these if any one wants one.I bought a 2-6-0 and a 4-4-0 and plan to pain them as D.S.P .& .P.R.R.
thanks
Martin

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 5:20 PM <Climax@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

martin feldwick

sorry for bad editing

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 5:41 PM martin feldwick <trackpass@...> wrote:
Coincidence I was about to ask the same  .I bought a couple of FED's in the full knowledge they run like drunken pigs .Mainly as I have the Sloane decals to [aint them .I still want a PFM Mason bogies .I painted a couple for Victors a few decades a go or four  and still fancy one for myself .Not sure whether to rip out all geraring in teh FED's and fit NWSL gearboxes or try a new morot in the tender first .Any lost  souls on here done this ? Harrystoyshop on EBay UK have quite few variants of these if any one wants one.I bought a 2-6-0 and a 4-4-0 and plan to pain them as D.S.P .& .P.R.R.
thanks
Martin

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 5:20 PM <Climax@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

bassb04011

Those lost sources have been replaced by absolutely fantastic ones like Harris Hobbies, Craig’s Colorado Narrow Gauge and others.
Stoner Creek in Germany still sells great remoter kits, Blackstone are very sought after and blow away anything that was made 20 years ago, tons of brass comes up on eBay. Southwest Narrow Gauge has a lot though a little pricey. 
Track is far improved, Tsunamis and DCC takes it to a whole new level.
HOn3 has never had it so good, except maybe a few years back when Blackstone was on shelves but that’s a factory issue they can hopefully work though. 
Just my 2 cents.
Brian 

On Dec 17, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...> wrote:

I feel your pain.  I, too, returned to the hobby about 2 years ago, after an absence of 20 years.  What I've found is that model railroading is a dying hobby and all of my good old sources are gone.  HOn3 has been hit the hardest.  And now there's also the division between DC and DCC.
My local hobby shop, Trains West, is long gone. Great HOn3 sources like Mitchells and Caboose Hobbies are gone.  Northwest Short Line's available motors are now mostly useless for HOn3'ers.
Loco Doc has shut down.
About the only source for HOn3 parts, locos and cars is eBay and most of those listings are misleading and definitely overpriced.
This having been said, the hobby still is alluring to many of us.  I've gotten a lot of good information from the Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette, especially the older issues.  Also, some of the HOn3 Annuals have been helpful to me, but not the newest issues.

--
Wayne Taylor

Russ Norris

I would agree with Brian.  I work mostly with HOn3 brass engines made 30+ years ago, but have had success upgrading them to DCC -- along with a few pieces of Bachmann standard gauge, most of which is not really well made.  There are still sources out there if you are willing to ask around.  HOn3 has always been a niche segment of the hobby, requiring a lot of initiative and ingenuity.  But the rewards of watching one of my rebuilt, repainted 2-8-2's operating prototypically are worth the extra effort.

Russ

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM bassb04011 <fishingmaine@...> wrote:
Those lost sources have been replaced by absolutely fantastic ones like Harris Hobbies, Craig’s Colorado Narrow Gauge and others.
Stoner Creek in Germany still sells great remoter kits, Blackstone are very sought after and blow away anything that was made 20 years ago, tons of brass comes up on eBay. Southwest Narrow Gauge has a lot though a little pricey. 
HOn3 has never had it so good, except maybe a few years back when Blackstone was on shelves but that’s a factory issue they can hopefully work though. 
Just my 2 cents.
Brian 

Loco Doc has shut down.

--
Wayne Taylor

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Roger Clay

The name 7th Direction is taken from Native American creation stories about the Spiritual/Energetic Directions of the Medicine Wheel: East, South, West, North, Above, Below and Center, with the 7th Direction being the Center — the place where all things come together One and where Great Spirit resides.

— burning rio

On Dec 17, 2020, at 9:19 AM, Climax@... <Climax@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group. 

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

Bill Lugg

I'd recommend you subscribe to the RepowerAndRegear list on groups.io.  You'll get all your questions answered there.  There are also a lot of resources in the files and list archives.

Bill Lugg

On 12/17/20 10:16 AM, Roger Clay wrote:
Hi folks,

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California
roger@7thdirection.com <mailto:roger@7thdirection.com>

Lee Gustafson

I believe you might be looking for the 7th Street Shops owner is Derrell Poole

Lee Gustafson 

On Dec 17, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Climax@... wrote:

Hi folks,

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

Roger Clay

Wow! I had NO idea this list even existed! Thank you SO much, Bill. I sent out a request for membership, already.

On Dec 17, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:

I'd recommend you subscribe to the RepowerAndRegear list on groups.io.  You'll get all your questions answered there.  There are also a lot of resources in the files and list archives.

Bill Lugg

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

Mark Lewis

I agree with both Brian's and Russ's comments, above, regarding the state of HOn3. Although my main modeling interest is in Sn3, I continue to model in HOn3.
Except for the Blackstone debacle in bringing to market the long ago announced K28 & K36 locomotives and not being able to re-run any of their exquisite rolling stock, past locomotive offerings and trucks/accessories, I would say there are some pretty good offerings available to HOn3 models, through reliable older and newer manufacturers and suppliers.
And to say "that model railroading is a dying hobby", is grossly unfair to manufacturers, suppliers, internet stores and LHS's, that continue to bring new items to market and support the modelers in all scales. 
Model railroading might not be "your fathers model railroading hobby".....but it surely isn't anywhere close to it's last breath.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling, at 71 years young, in N.C.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 1:37 PM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
I would agree with Brian.  I work mostly with HOn3 brass engines made 30+ years ago, but have had success upgrading them to DCC -- along with a few pieces of Bachmann standard gauge, most of which is not really well made.  There are still sources out there if you are willing to ask around.  HOn3 has always been a niche segment of the hobby, requiring a lot of initiative and ingenuity.  But the rewards of watching one of my rebuilt, repainted 2-8-2's operating prototypically are worth the extra effort.

Russ

Just my 2 cents.
Brian 

Loco Doc has shut down.

--
Wayne Taylor

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Climax@...

The 9th House
Travel, philosophy, and higher education all define the ninth house. In medieval astrology, this region was linked to places and people outside of your village. Now, we interpret this area as both literal and intellectual exploration.

Mule

Sent: Dec 17, 2020 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: [HOn3] I'm looking for a remotoring-regearing guru/mentor

The name 7th Direction is taken from Native American creation stories about the Spiritual/Energetic Directions of the Medicine Wheel: East, South, West, North, Above, Below and Center, with the 7th Direction being the Center — the place where all things come together One and where Great Spirit resides.

— burning rio

Hi folks,

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

Roger Clay

[WAY OFF TOPIC] Looks like you have been exploring the Astrological realms, Mule. You posted a concise and accurate description of the 9th House which is also associated with sign Sagittarius and the expansive energy of Jupiter. 

[Astrologer hat OFF | NG MR cap ON]

— burnin’ rio

On Dec 17, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Climax@... <Climax@...> wrote:

The 9th House
Travel, philosophy, and higher education all define the ninth house. In medieval astrology, this region was linked to places and people outside of your village. Now, we interpret this area as both literal and intellectual exploration.

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

Craig Symington

Hi Roger,

Check out the current and past Narrow Gauge Gazettes for a bunch of “Brass bashing” articles that I’ve written. They are step by step tutorials on rebuilding HOn3 brass. I write about all the steps that I can think of, but you can pick and choose what things are important to you and skip the rest. In the current issue (Nov\Dec 2020) I talk about picking a suitable subject and start a 2 article series on doing exactly what you are asking about.

In the past I’ve done a bunch of other brass bashing projects in the Gazette too. Sure they aren’t the same models you are looking at but the concepts and advice are the same. Earlier this year I wrote about obtaining parts, motors, etc. Much of that has changed since Covid, but there is still good information there. In the 2009 or 2010 HOn3 annual (still available from white river), I wrote an exhaustive series on painting brass. I think there is the same mason bogie in that article that you have. I did up 3-5 bogies at the time. Around 1990, Jim Vail wrote a long series on the Gazette on reworking brass. Most of his ideas stand today. I’m thinking about writing a supplement for it on what has changed.

The remoter and repower group is great as someone else suggested. There is a brass workshop group on Facebook with decent information. Probably the best info is the page owners periodically go to Samhongsa and do a bulk buy on gearboxes, motors and details. They are currently looking to source some good motors that would be suitable for HOn3.

If you want to save yourself some pain, try remotoring, etc a HO standard gauge brass engine first. You’ll learn a lot about the process without the pain of working in HOn3. I do a lot of standard gauge engines. I thoroughly enjoy the process. I slowed down significantly on the HOn3 models because I find it much more tedious and frustrating. My eyes aren’t what what they used to be too.

Good luck. The information is out there if you look for it. With practice, you’ll get good at reworking those engines.

Craig Symington.

Art D3

I'll second the RepowerandRegear IO group. I joined about six months ago and there are dozens of experts on there. They directed me to 12mm and 15mm Minebea motors on ebay for about $2-3 each. They are awesome motors and small enough for HOn3.
--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Climax@...

Not all that far off.  I am in my 9th house at 73 years old.  I spent the day working on wiring a turn table to run off a MRC1500 Power pack.  That is my aux power that runs all my sound in structures, the LED Lights and now the Turn Table as well.  I had to switch over to DCC and did so about 10 years ago from 3 PFM SSII's (still got those and they are not even worth making a boat anchor out of now.  In any case I use NCE DCC and have both the HO and HOn3 portions of the layout wired up with it, power 37 Tortoise Switch Machines with it all coded so that I can throw them all with the hand controller.
I just finished up building a Model Master Pieces Colorado Midland 4 stall round house with full interior and carved inner walls, added a boiler room, changed the roof to a one piece with full beams, put 13 tiny leds inside to light it all up, added a yard office, then scratch built a foundry with removable roof adn another 9 LED's inside that to show the interior details, put scenery around it all, and added my car building shops in place which I built in the late 80's but had to change the GOW bulbs out to LED's as well.  Today was the finishing touches on the TT power.  I used the MRC pack track power turned up to full, through a DPDTCO Toggle switch to provide turning direction, then another riostat to provide the speed control.  I only have the toggle and a rotatable knob on the facia to control it.
Now back to scenery around my scratch built 24 vat pickle factory and FSM Freight House.

Mule

Sent: Dec 17, 2020 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [HOn3] I'm looking for a remotoring-regearing guru/mentor

[WAY OFF TOPIC] Looks like you have been exploring the Astrological realms, Mule. You posted a concise and accurate description of the 9th House which is also associated with sign Sagittarius and the expansive energy of Jupiter. 

[Astrologer hat OFF | NG MR cap ON]

— burnin’ rio

On Dec 17, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Climax@... <Climax@...> wrote:

The 9th House

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

Mike Conder

Also there is a growing industry in 3D printing for HOn3 rolling stock, some available through Shapeways and others through new vendors like Western Rails.  

Mike Conder

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 2:25 PM Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:
I agree with both Brian's and Russ's comments, above, regarding the state of HOn3. Although my main modeling interest is in Sn3, I continue to model in HOn3.
Except for the Blackstone debacle in bringing to market the long ago announced K28 & K36 locomotives and not being able to re-run any of their exquisite rolling stock, past locomotive offerings and trucks/accessories, I would say there are some pretty good offerings available to HOn3 models, through reliable older and newer manufacturers and suppliers.
And to say "that model railroading is a dying hobby", is grossly unfair to manufacturers, suppliers, internet stores and LHS's, that continue to bring new items to market and support the modelers in all scales. 
Model railroading might not be "your fathers model railroading hobby".....but it surely isn't anywhere close to it's last breath.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling, at 71 years young, in N.C.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 1:37 PM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:

Russ

Just my 2 cents.
Brian 

Loco Doc has shut down.

--
Wayne Taylor

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

--
Mike Conder

Mike Conder

Roger Clay I think I drove through that intersection in Italy ... roads going everywhere ...

Mike Conder

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:50 AM Roger Clay <roger@...> wrote:

— burning rio

Hi folks,

TIA,

— burning rio

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California

Roger Clay

Thanks to all who replied to my request and especially for the pointer to the Remotoring & Regearing IO group — it's just what the “doctor” ordered.

— burnin’ rio

On Dec 17, 2020, at 4:02 PM, Art D3 <apdutra3@...> wrote:

I'll second the RepowerandRegear IO group. I joined about six months ago and there are dozens of experts on there. They directed me to 12mm and 15mm Minebea motors on ebay for about $2-3 each. They are awesome motors and small enough for HOn3.

Roger Clay
The 7th Direction
Marin County, California