looking for an HOn3 locomotive


 

Hi All

First time posting and glad to be in this group now. I have just started my dual-gauge layout. HO-HOn3. I've got the wood for the layout put together with roadbed and track. I've got it all dcc wired up but I've run into a snag as there seems to be no HOn3 engines available anywhere. Can't really test anything that I've done on the HOn3 track lines.  I am on the lookout for a HOn3 engine. If someone knows of a place where I could find one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve


Eric Schrowang
 

Steve, I was just on EBay and found multiple listings.

Eric

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, 12:12 Steven Meyerhoff <sbmeyerhoff@...> wrote:
Hi All

First time posting and glad to be in this group now. I have just started my dual-gauge layout. HO-HOn3. I've got the wood for the layout put together with roadbed and track. I've got it all dcc wired up but I've run into a snag as there seems to be no HOn3 engines available anywhere. Can't really test anything that I've done on the HOn3 track lines.  I am on the lookout for a HOn3 engine. If someone knows of a place where I could find one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve


Mike Conder
 

These days Ebay is best source, here's a search I just did:


LOTS available but not cheap.  I'd recommend the Blackstone C-19 here if you have DCC:


That price is good and this will probably be the best runner you'll find without tinkering.  I'm not sure I'd go much over that price but I haven't been watching the market.  There are a lot of good brass locos out there on Ebay, but if you're not experienced in tuning brass steam I'd steer clear of them at first.

There are other sources for brass that are reputable and who will test a brass loco before selling/sending, and that is VERY important for a first loco.  Others will probably be able to direct you to them, as I'm not in the loco market anymore (I have what I need for now).  Also, recognize that many, if not most, brass locos are NOT DCC-equiped.  That may or may not be an advantage.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM Steven Meyerhoff <sbmeyerhoff@...> wrote:
Hi All

First time posting and glad to be in this group now. I have just started my dual-gauge layout. HO-HOn3. I've got the wood for the layout put together with roadbed and track. I've got it all dcc wired up but I've run into a snag as there seems to be no HOn3 engines available anywhere. Can't really test anything that I've done on the HOn3 track lines.  I am on the lookout for a HOn3 engine. If someone knows of a place where I could find one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve


Wayne
 

eBay always has at around 20 HOn3 locomotives for sale at all times.

--
Wayne Taylor


martin feldwick
 

What ever you do dont buy an FED  ,Far Eastern Distributor  ,Spartan series 4-4-0 0r 2-6-0 until you have some brass  experience under your belt .Great little basic models and cheap but hard to get running  well  or even at all unless experienced .They can be tempting .I have just bought two but I am far into the addiction ..Stick to Blackstone at first as above advice
Martin


On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 5:24 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
These days Ebay is best source, here's a search I just did:


LOTS available but not cheap.  I'd recommend the Blackstone C-19 here if you have DCC:


That price is good and this will probably be the best runner you'll find without tinkering.  I'm not sure I'd go much over that price but I haven't been watching the market.  There are a lot of good brass locos out there on Ebay, but if you're not experienced in tuning brass steam I'd steer clear of them at first.

There are other sources for brass that are reputable and who will test a brass loco before selling/sending, and that is VERY important for a first loco.  Others will probably be able to direct you to them, as I'm not in the loco market anymore (I have what I need for now).  Also, recognize that many, if not most, brass locos are NOT DCC-equiped.  That may or may not be an advantage.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM Steven Meyerhoff <sbmeyerhoff@...> wrote:
Hi All

First time posting and glad to be in this group now. I have just started my dual-gauge layout. HO-HOn3. I've got the wood for the layout put together with roadbed and track. I've got it all dcc wired up but I've run into a snag as there seems to be no HOn3 engines available anywhere. Can't really test anything that I've done on the HOn3 track lines.  I am on the lookout for a HOn3 engine. If someone knows of a place where I could find one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve


Mark Lewis
 

Steve, 

I will agree with the above comments regarding what you should spend your money on. Blackstone, although expensive, are first class in all areas. 
The C19 models are solid performers as are the K27's (except for the first production run of K27's which had motor issues and replacement motors are currently unavailable from Blackstone.)

Mark Lewis 
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, 12:50 PM martin feldwick <trackpass@...> wrote:
What ever you do dont buy an FED  ,Far Eastern Distributor  ,Spartan series 4-4-0 0r 2-6-0 until you have some brass  experience under your belt .Great little basic models and cheap but hard to get running  well  or even at all unless experienced .They can be tempting .I have just bought two but I am far into the addiction ..Stick to Blackstone at first as above advice
Martin

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 5:24 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
These days Ebay is best source, here's a search I just did:


LOTS available but not cheap.  I'd recommend the Blackstone C-19 here if you have DCC:


That price is good and this will probably be the best runner you'll find without tinkering.  I'm not sure I'd go much over that price but I haven't been watching the market.  There are a lot of good brass locos out there on Ebay, but if you're not experienced in tuning brass steam I'd steer clear of them at first.

There are other sources for brass that are reputable and who will test a brass loco before selling/sending, and that is VERY important for a first loco.  Others will probably be able to direct you to them, as I'm not in the loco market anymore (I have what I need for now).  Also, recognize that many, if not most, brass locos are NOT DCC-equiped.  That may or may not be an advantage.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM Steven Meyerhoff <sbmeyerhoff@...> wrote:
Hi All

First time posting and glad to be in this group now. I have just started my dual-gauge layout. HO-HOn3. I've got the wood for the layout put together with roadbed and track. I've got it all dcc wired up but I've run into a snag as there seems to be no HOn3 engines available anywhere. Can't really test anything that I've done on the HOn3 track lines.  I am on the lookout for a HOn3 engine. If someone knows of a place where I could find one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve


duncan
 

Steve,

    Have you checked ebay?  There are also various vendors who have locomotives for sale: Narrow Gauge Colorado, Southwest Narrow Gauge, Whistle Stop and Harris hobbies are four possibilities, but I know there are others.

            Duncan Harvey


martin feldwick
 

Of course there is the old MDC 2-8-0 which are still available on Ebay and make into a decent runner..not a real prototype as such but I am sure has powered up a many a layout O

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 5:28 PM Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...> wrote:
eBay always has at around 20 HOn3 locomotives for sale at all times.

--
Wayne Taylor


 

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Much appreciated. I have been looking through EBAY and other dealers. I had thought blackstone looked like potentially the best route for my first locomotive. 

Thanks again.