Topics

Was doodle bugs

Ric Case

Here is my geep 35 that was narrow gauged in the 70’s. I modified the shell this summer to try to make it look more like a narrow gauge locomotive! I have a DL535 but this one is my stand by for track testing and track cleaner operation!
No sound except the old athearn gear noise!
Basic conversion required pulling out the geared axle cutting down to narrow gauge width, pushing the wheels in on the axles keep the nmra gauge handy and reinstall the geared axles and glue the truck halves together!
Have fun!
Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

Bruce

Looks good, especially given its age.

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584
in2trains@...

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020, 11:17 PM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
Here is my geep 35 that was narrow gauged in the 70’s. I modified the shell this summer to try to make it look more like a narrow gauge locomotive! I have a DL535 but this one is my stand by for track testing and track cleaner operation!
No sound except the old athearn gear noise!
Basic conversion required pulling out the geared axle cutting down to narrow gauge width, pushing the wheels in on the axles keep the nmra gauge handy and reinstall the geared axles and glue the truck halves together!
Have fun!
Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

Mike Conder

Nice, Ric!

Let me know if I understand this correctly, I may be confused since I'm not familiar with diesel models:
  • You pulled out the axles
  • pushed the wheels in to HOn3 using NMRA gauge
  • reinstalled axles
  • reassembled truck with glue
But did you cut the actual axles?  And why did you glue the truck back together?

The photos remind me of the tender trucks on a K-37 which are still SG width but with new wheelsets that have wheels at NG width even though the axle is still SG width.  Pics of that attached.

Mike Conder

kevin b

you left out a step.
you must also cut the sides off the gear (shaft) or the wheels won't go in.
Kevin.

On Sunday, December 6, 2020, 11:24:58 AM CST, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Nice, Ric!

Let me know if I understand this correctly, I may be confused since I'm not familiar with diesel models:
  • You pulled out the axles
  • pushed the wheels in to HOn3 using NMRA gauge
  • reinstalled axles
  • reassembled truck with glue
But did you cut the actual axles?  And why did you glue the truck back together?

The photos remind me of the tender trucks on a K-37 which are still SG width but with new wheelsets that have wheels at NG width even though the axle is still SG width.  Pics of that attached.

Mike Conder

Ric Case

No! You actually cut down the axle spur gear ⚙️ that allows you to slide the wheels on the axle to narrow the gauge!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Dec 6, 2020, at 1:09 PM, kevin b via groups.io <arcatruck13@...> wrote:

you left out a step.
you must also cut the sides off the gear (shaft) or the wheels won't go in.
Kevin.

On Sunday, December 6, 2020, 11:24:58 AM CST, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Nice, Ric!

Let me know if I understand this correctly, I may be confused since I'm not familiar with diesel models:
  • You pulled out the axles
  • pushed the wheels in to HOn3 using NMRA gauge
  • reinstalled axles
  • reassembled truck with glue
But did you cut the actual axles?  And why did you glue the truck back together?

The photos remind me of the tender trucks on a K-37 which are still SG width but with new wheelsets that have wheels at NG width even though the axle is still SG width.  Pics of that attached.

Mike Conder
<DSCN4555.JPG>
<DSCN4551.JPG>

Ric Case

Basically I just wasn’t clear on step one

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Dec 6, 2020, at 1:32 PM, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

[...]

I also did not replace the bottom gear box cover!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Dec 6, 2020, at 1:33 PM, Ric Case via groups.io <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

[...]

Cool, that makes MUCH more sense, thanks!

Mine Conder

On Dec 6, 2020, at 1:09 PM, kevin b via groups.io <arcatruck13=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Bill Lugg

Has anyone ever explored the possibility of narrowing one of those old MDC box cabs?  I've got one I don't know what to do with...somewhere and it just occurred to me this might be a way to make it useful.

Bill Lugg

On Sunday, December 6, 2020, 11:24:58 AM CST, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@gmail.com> wrote:

Nice, Ric!

Let me know if I understand this correctly, I may be confused since I'm not familiar with diesel models:

* You pulled out the axles
* pushed the wheels in to HOn3 using NMRA gauge
* reinstalled axles
* reassembled truck with glue

But did you cut the actual axles?  And why did you glue the truck back together?

The photos remind me of the tender trucks on a K-37 which are still SG width but with new wheelsets that have wheels at NG width even though the axle is still SG width.  Pics of that attached.

Mike Conder
<DSCN4555.JPG>
<DSCN4551.JPG>

John Stutz

thanks Ric

Some good ideas here, and I will see if I can adapt them to the later generation Athern drives with non-functional side frames.

John Stutz

On December 5, 2020 8:15 PM Ric Case < ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

Basic conversion required pulling out the geared axle cutting down to narrow gauge width, pushing the wheels in on the axles keep the nmra gauge handy and reinstall the geared axles and glue the truck halves together!

Ric Case

Climax@...

If you played that in reverse it would be riding in a cab forward locomotive!
hahahaha
DB

Some good ideas here, and I will see if I can adapt them to the later generation Athern drives with non-functional side frames.

John Stutz
On December 5, 2020 8:15 PM Ric Case < ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

Basic conversion required pulling out the geared axle cutting down to narrow gauge width, pushing the wheels in on the axles keep the nmra gauge handy and reinstall the geared axles and glue the truck halves together!

Ric Case

Bill

I believe that the MDC boxcab Diesel drive is essentially identical to that used on their Shays, with different truck side frames.  If they actually used the same truck frames, narrowing the drive would mostly be a matter of pushing wheels in on the axles, and trimming the axles and wheel wiper/sideframe supports.

NWSL's MDC Shay gear sets may also be applicable.

But I have not tried this.

John Stutz

On December 6, 2020 12:34 PM Bill Lugg < luggw1@...> wrote:

Has anyone ever explored the possibility of narrowing one of those old
MDC box cabs?  I've got one I don't know what to do with...somewhere and
it just occurred to me this might be a way to make it useful.

Bill Lugg

Paul Sturtz

I used the MDC box cab bodies on Bachmann 70t chassis.  No narrowing of the body was necessary since it is the same width.  Both the regular version and the track cleaner version were used.
Paul
Paul