Here's the copper foil tape I think Dave is talking about below, 21.8 yards of the 1/4" wide material seems like it would last a long time for an HO model builder and the price seems pretty reasonable. I'm not sure it would solve Kevin's issue though.

HTH
Bill Lugg

On 11/8/20 8:23 AM, Climax@Mindspring.com wrote:
You can get that copper foil sticky tape at any outlet that deals with stained glass windows.  It can be gotten in most widths, a good variety to have on hand is recommended.   In addition to what has been talked about here, you can use it inside structures, stuck to walls or under "wall paper" or sandwiched between wood, or even painted, to run power around in structures.  To change directions one only has to fold the tape and never cut it.   I also use it for copper roofs on structures as well.  With the proper chemicals you can weather the "real copper" and make it various shades of green.

From: Bruce
Sent: Nov 8, 2020 8:20 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] MDC Moose Jaws Loco

Not sure of availability in Europe but here in the U.S. Amazon has
it.  I bought a four roll pack (life time supply) for $12.  Search
"copper foil tape".

I used mine for a electric distribution bus inside my East Broad
Top roundhouse.

Never thought of it for on an engine or rolling stock. Thanks Mark!

Mark Kasprowicz

CircuitWriter pens used to be available in Radio Shack for either $9.99 or $12.99 and they do work very well. Easiest way of bonding them to wire is via a piece of PCB. Solder the wire to the PCB, glue the board in place then run the trace to wherever. One word of warning with this stuff, make sure the top is on firmly and even seal it with tape, because it dries very quickly.

The copper foil is paper based and great for wiring buildings etc but not for locomotives - it hasn't the strength and the movment of the wipers will cause it to fail. The Kapton based stuff does, it is strong enough to hold the wipers in place but will still flex to a certain degree plus the epoxy holds it firmly against the brass cover plate.

Mark K
Oxon England.