Division Point K-27 question

k27bry

Edited

Hi Guys ,
               I was heavily invested in PBL Sn3 when the DP HOn3 K-27's came out and didn't pay much attention to which versions they did at the time so I'm only aware of ones I saw for sale in the aftermarket . I'm aware of early / speed lettering on some as well as RGS on 455 and 461 so beyond these numbers  ( 454 , 455 , 456 , 458, 461 ) which others did Jack do ?
                                                                 Thanks,
                                                                              Bryan

Lawrence Wisniewski <lwreno@...>

As far as I can recall, Division Point only brought in 4 inside piston valve K-27's (454, 456, 458, 461).  No outside valve engines were done although there was a promise to do those on the "next run" (which never came in).  I am not sure if the 461 was done in both D&RGW and RGS versions.

-----Original Message-----
To: HOn3@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 30, 2020 12:41 pm
Subject: [HOn3] Division Point K-27 question

Hi Guys ,
               I was heavily invested in PBL Sn3 when the DP HOn3 K-27's came out and didn't pay much attention to which versions they did at the time so I'm only aware of ones I saw for sale in the aftermarket . I'm aware of early / speed lettering on some as well as RGS on 455 and 461 so beyond these numbers  ( 454 , 455 , 456 , 461 ) which others did Jack do ?
                                                                 Thanks,
                                                                              Bryan

k27bry

^ Thanks Lawrence - I thought I remembered 455 , but what you said makes sense . I exchanged an e-mail with Jack a couple days ago and for some reason those previously mentioned new run K-27's and K-28's are no longer being planned .
                                                                 Regards,
                                                                               Bryan

k27bry

Hey Lawrence - forgot to respond on this one ; yes - I have seen 461 in both Rio Grande and RGS livery . Kind of torn about which one to look for !
                                                       Regards,
                                                                     Bryan

Mark Kasprowicz

Boo Rim made 100 K-27's for Division Point in 2002. Of those 25 were 461 though I do not know what the DRGW - RGS split was. When I mentioned I had one to Jack, he just said 'hold onto it!' Which I have. Basically they're rarer than rocking horse droppings.

Mark K

Scott McLeod

At the time of the release of Division Points K-27 and K-28s, I was unaware of Division Point as an importer.  Thankfully I learned about them in time to find both a K-28 and K-27 to purchase.  Since I model the RGS and D&RGW circa 1938-1942, the K-27 I was after was #461 in the D&RGW livery.  I wasn’t able to locate one, so I contacted DP and Jack V informed me that there were only 3 of the 25 models painted in the D&RGW livery.  So, I settled on purchasing a #461 in the RGS Sunrise herald thinking that someday, I would re-letter it in the D&RGW scheme.

Well, with the Blackstone release of K-27s, that day never came as I picked up a Blackstone #461.  So my DP #461 is still in its original paint scheme…

I continued to watch for a DP #461 in the D&RGW livery.  This past year one became available on brasstrains.com.  It sold in a flash.

Scott McLeod

HOn3 RGS/D&RGW Ridgway -  Durango

k27bry

Thanks for the responses guys . I think the good thing is that sooner or later Jack will see enough demand to re-run the 27/28 . Hate to think how many of the Alco RS's were just made and some of those versions were repeated within months when more people wanted them . Different topic , but I just mentioned to him it would be nice to see a run of the RG / RGS flangers ( OC, OD etc ) as PBL has done in Sn3 . 

Mick Moignard

The issue with the DP 461 is that both models are wrong.  

The RGS version doesn’t have the prominent pipe that ran up the RH side of the tender and terminated in a shutoff valve.  Nobody has ever modelled this correctly, not DP, not Blackstone, not PSC in the 1992 run. PSC did attempt it on the mid80s detail update they did on the Westside K27, the two cab version, but they bent the pipe over into the top of the tender instead of terminating it at the shutoff valve.  BTW everyone whose done RGS 20 has also got the same error; late on it also had a pipe up the rear half of the RH side of the tender that ended in a shutoff valve. NG Pictorial V1 p39 shows 461s tender, and the RGS 20 Quick pic book shows the valve on RGS20s tender.

The D&RGW version of 461 has the wrong steps at the tender front.  There was a period when the tender had some strap steps at the front, see NG Pictorial V11 pages 96 and 97.  See also on P97 that it has a tiny Flying Rio Grande on the cab, instead of D&RGW. I have seen these strap steps on one model, PBLs hybrid 461, but on their RGS version, which should have had the traditional steps. And that Sn3 RGS 461 is still missing the pipe up the RH side.

Ah well.  And don’t get me started on the DP 36/37 errors, including a completely wrong tender on 492.

Mick

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.