Tortoise side mounting???

asandrini

I have only 12" between my middle and upper deck.  The center shelf is 15" deep, while the upper shelf is 22" deep. With a 3" fascia, I can see the bottom half of two tortoise machines located near the front edge of the shelf.

I have had to embed two machines in my lower level in 2" foam and used R/C bell ranks to change the direction of force from the machine to the turnout. Works perfectly.

My center shelf has no foam to surface mount the machine, nor do I have the space to rig up a bellcrank system.

I was wondering:

Glue a block of 1x2 under the turnout, beneath the subroadbed

Mount the machine with the moving mechanism facing up

Heated a piece of wire and insert it into the moving black block

Run the end of the wire up to the turnout throwbar

Would this work?

I might need to use a finer wire, as the length of throw may be too much.  The lighter wire would increase in pressure at the end limits to about the same stress as the larger wire in the normal operating position.

Any ideas?

Al

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

lloyd lehrer

Mount the upside down at the back wall and use a rod to link the throw under the roadbed

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

Ric Case

I have used the factory remote mounts for these types of mounts!
They worked out great.
Ive also used these for crossover links to throw two turnouts with one tortoise machine!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Sep 27, 2020, at 7:46 PM, lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Marlett

I know it’s heresy to suggest a manual throw, but if that is possible, I suggest a remote mounted manual throw such as a Caboose Industries ground throw. They can be mounted on the outside on the fascia and connected with a wire. All of my turnouts are operated that way. Of course, some people use simple knobs.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Sep 27, 2020, at 5:51 PM, asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Ball

You might want to try these very flat switch machines. I have seen them in operation and they work well.

Don Ball

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 9:59 PM Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:
[...]

richard firth

You could try the 'Remote Tortoise Mount'

go to 'circuitron.com

regards

Richard