Blackstone K-27 Re-motor Kits

Scott McLeod

Greetings everyone,

I’m looking for a source for 2 Blackstone K-27 re-motor kits that are used for re-motoring Blackstone K-27s from their first run in 2006 that had the over-oiling problem.  If you have a couple of these available that you would be willing to part with.  Please let me know.  Thank you.

Scott McLeod

HOn3 RGS/D&RGW Ridgway - Durango

Robert Bell

Call Blackstone.  They are/were $29.95 including shipping.

Rob Bell 
Modeling the White Pass & Yukon Route in HOn3 

Mark Lewis

I have a friend that recently sent a K27 first run, into Blackstone for a motor replacement and was told they have no motor assemblies in stock and are waiting for a replenishment order to arrive, but could not tell him when the order of motors was to arrive.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 5:27 AM Robert Bell via groups.io <ionhoss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rob Bell 

Jim Marlett

I was told the same thing almost a year ago. I asked if this was like the K-36 and K-28. I was told it was not, but I still haven’t heard that they have them. Just sent another email yesterday.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Sep 6, 2020, at 7:11 AM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

I have a friend that recently sent a K27 first run, into Blackstone for a motor replacement and was told they have no motor assemblies in stock and are waiting for a replenishment order to arrive, but could not tell him when the order of motors was to arrive.

Mark Lewis

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 5:27 AM Robert Bell via groups.io <ionhoss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rob Bell 

Climax@...

With the rift between China and the US it may take a while.  Besides Kader Industries is not exactly friendly.  They design of and manufacturing of the Bachmann Spectrum, owned by Kader,  Shays and Climax's is a prime example of WHGAS attitude they have.  In both, after about an hour of running time, the Climax gears are mashed, cracked, or stripped to the point you have a great looking model which has DCC/Sound/lights which just sits there and does everything but move.  Same with the Shay.  They end up being really expensive scenery.  Bachmann's response is just sorry about that, but there is nothing we can do so you eat it.  When I approached them at the West Springfield MA show, I got a cold shoulder, ignored, and almost shuffled away from their display.  Kader has their employees well trained to ignore the problems.
Fortunately, I believe Blackstone was heavily involved in the design and exacting specifications allowing a model of quality to be turned out.  Its just that we find replacement parts by Kader to be lacking due to the rift between US and China trade and Kader policy.  Only God knows when the parts will be made, shipped, and arrive in Colorado.  Its definitely not a Blackstone problem.
In the mean time, we the consumer, have to just sit and wait for Kader to do what they do.
Dave

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sep 6, 2020 8:11 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Blackstone K-27 Re-motor Kits

Mark Lewis

Rob Bell 

kevin b

i wonder, is there anybody in the US that can make electric motors anymore?
i mean, model train size motors, not industrial stuff.
and, that sort of begs the question, if so, how much more would they cost?
would we, pay, say, 2x the price for an American made piece?
3x?

as for the bachman gear situation, what would it take to get those made here?
would NWSL consider it?
how many sets would have to be pre sold?

time marches on and NEVER looks back to see if you're in step or not.

Kevin.

With the rift between China and the US it may take a while.  Besides Kader Industries is not exactly friendly.  They design of and manufacturing of the Bachmann Spectrum, owned by Kader,  Shays and Climax's is a prime example of WHGAS attitude they have.  In both, after about an hour of running time, the Climax gears are mashed, cracked, or stripped to the point you have a great looking model which has DCC/Sound/lights which just sits there and does everything but move.  Same with the Shay.  They end up being really expensive scenery.  Bachmann's response is just sorry about that, but there is nothing we can do so you eat it.  When I approached them at the West Springfield MA show, I got a cold shoulder, ignored, and almost shuffled away from their display.  Kader has their employees well trained to ignore the problems.
Fortunately, I believe Blackstone was heavily involved in the design and exacting specifications allowing a model of quality to be turned out.  Its just that we find replacement parts by Kader to be lacking due to the rift between US and China trade and Kader policy.  Only God knows when the parts will be made, shipped, and arrive in Colorado.  Its definitely not a Blackstone problem.
In the mean time, we the consumer, have to just sit and wait for Kader to do what they do.
Dave

Mark Lewis

Rob Bell 

Jim Marlett

I know these things aren’t made to take apart, but has anyone ever tried to take a motor apart and de-lubricate it then successfully reassemble it?

Jim Marlett

On Sep 6, 2020, at 10:45 AM, kevin b via groups.io <arcatruck13@...> wrote:

3x?

would NWSL consider it?

Kevin.

Dave

Mark Lewis

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 5:27 AM Robert Bell via groups.io <ionhoss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rob Bell 

Jim Marlett

Of course, I haven’t tried to let the magic smoke out of mine, so maybe I should try that. I just figured I would skip that altogether and go straight to the new part(s).

Jim Marlett

On Sep 6, 2020, at 11:40 AM, James Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

I know these things aren’t made to take apart, but has anyone ever tried to take a motor apart and de-lubricate it then successfully reassemble it?

Ric Case

I have 8 and wound up letting the smoke out of the original first 2 ! 
I sent some back for warranty repairs! 
I was going to order a few motors to have in stock but never did.
Black stone was always fast and fair.
All of my locomotives run well except for one! Some days it will act up other days it will take spells to run through a whole operating session with no problem. 
I also have 10 C-19,s  , they are also great runners. 
Good luck with your effort. The two outside pins on the plug run the motor! I used a nine volt battery to run mine in! 

Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

On Sep 6, 2020, at 12:44 PM, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

Of course, I haven’t tried to let the magic smoke out of mine, so maybe I should try that. I just figured I would skip that altogether and go straight to the new part(s).

Jim Marlett

kevin b

for what it is worth:
back in the day i was big time into slot cars.
on those, i used electrical contact cleaner (in a spray can) to clean my motors.
never had any trouble.
in todays' world, i use chlorinated brakeclean (in a spray can) to clean anything i'm messing with of oil.
a spritz of it and whoosh, oil is GONE.
i have not tried brake clean on electrical motors yet.
but, i don't think it'd hurt anything.
i suppose, maybe, there is a chance it might cause the insulators in there to deteriorate, but that's a worst case possible maybe kinda thing.
i honestly don't think it would hurt.

all that being said, i don't think i'd risk spraying either of those into the motor while mounted in the loco.
i would remove the motor, and have at it however.

both of those sprays dry quickly.
but, to be safe, i'd let the motor sit on a towell or whatever for a while before i put it back in the loco.

the spray, should get into enough places i doubt you'd have to take the motor apart.

so, IF you're already prepared to buy new motors, you gotta take the old one out to make the swap, so you might as well spray 'em down and see how it goes.

have a happy day.
Kevin.

Jim Marlett

cmdrwmriker

Hey, while we are at this juncture; how about a new decoder design that operates a nominal 3.7vdc motor instead of 12vdc?  I use Stanton S-cab DCC and it includes 3.7vdc batteries with a step up dc-dc converter so that it provides 12vdc to the decoder.  If the decoder operated on 3.7vdc, then appropriate drone motors, which run on 3.7vdc could be used, no dc-dc converter would be required and I could put sound decoders in even smaller locos.  Whattaya think?  any electronic gurus out there know what it would take to get a decoder to operate on 3.7vdc?
ol' bill

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 11:45:24 -0400 (EDT)

3x?

would NWSL consider it?

Kevin.

Dave

Mark Lewis

Rob Bell 

Don Bergman

Jim,

When you do apply DC current to burn off the oil I always worried about hitting the wrong pin and toasting something.  So I slipped some stripped wire insulation over the unwanted pins to protect them.  I have 2 of the 2006  and burning the oil worked on one but the other is re-motored.   Don't give up it the first time doesn't work.   do it again, and again, repeat and then it might work.   I think I did it more than 4-5 times and then it took.

Don Bergman

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 6, 2020 12:44 PM
To: HOn3 Group <HOn3@groups.io>

Jim Marlett

Robert Bell

Burning the oil off worked for the first 6-8 times for mine, then it just quit running at top speed at all.  I took it apart and watch the smoke slowly roll out as the motor turned slow.  That's when I ordered a new motor from BS.  That was 2 years ago.

Rob Bell.

Mark Kasprowicz

I too think there is a limit to the number of times you can attach a K-27 motor to 12 volts. (I use the BS drawbars in my brass K-series DCC conversion and have a spare socket with just the two outers connected and wired to a DC supply.)

The last time we had a replacement shortage I suggested that it was possible to replace the BS motor with a Mashima 1020. I admitted there were a number of diffIculties - the sabu on which the motor sits had to be adapted by grinding it to take the Mashima front bearing and lowering the back to clear the motors' lower connection points. I also admitted that the shaft was too short to take the worm, flywheel AND the chuff actuator. So some fettling was needed.
I got put in my place by a fellow member here by saying how unsuitable the motor was for the task. Unfortunately he didn't offer an alternative and so possibly condemned a few K-27 to shelf queen status. I withdrew.

My Mashima powered 27 ran for a while until BS had a new supply of motors and sabu's. Was there a whole load of improvement over my 'botch job' and the new motor? Not sure as I don't run trains long enough to make an appaisal.

So here we are again except there have been some changes. Mashima motors are rarer than rocking horse shit. But some K27 owners are upgrading their 27's to TSU2 - I've done two so far - and so the chuff actuator is redundant and the flywheel can be programmed into the decoder. QED, longer shaft no longer needed.
Will there be another run of the replacement motor, the locomotive is 14 years old? Enshalla!
Is there any mileage in adapting the sabu to another motor? Not sure, the boiler clearance is an issue. The very popular Minibea 15 is a possibility, but I haven't tried it.
One thing I'm pretty certain of. With the present trading situation there is no harm in seriously considering alternatives.

Mark K