Tapping Shapeways high def plastic

Mike Conder

Anybody have good experience with tapping Shapeways' fine plastic 3D prints?  I have a bunch of cars needing truck screws, wanting to tap 0-80 (or is it 00-80) for their Blackstone trucks.

Advice etc. appreciated ...

Mike Conder

Mark Kasprowicz

I think I would get some thin plastic rod a little bigger than the screws you're going to use, drill the car body out for it, superglue a suitable section in place and tap that out for the screw. A small post drill helps get the holes straight. Tedious I know but with all that time on your hands it will keep you busy!

Mark K
Oxon, England (Slightly stir crazy!)

Mike Conder

Thought about that,  but the holes are already there and just about the right size.  Just not sure how that plastic would take to tapping, ands I don't have any plastic rod at hand ...

Mike Conder, enjoying local openings ...

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 12:02 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

I think I would get some thin plastic rod a little bigger than the screws you're going to use, drill the car body out for it, superglue a suitable section in place and tap that out for the screw. A small post drill helps get the holes straight. Tedious I know but with all that time on your hands it will keep you busy!

Mark K
Oxon, England (Slightly stir crazy!)

Jim Marlett

I think I would tap the existing holes and see if it works. If it doesn’t, drill them out and glue in the styrene rod.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Jun 15, 2020, at 1:16 AM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Thought about that,  but the holes are already there and just about the right size.  Just not sure how that plastic would take to tapping, ands I don't have any plastic rod at hand ...

Mike Conder, enjoying local openings ...

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 12:02 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

I think I would get some thin plastic rod a little bigger than the screws you're going to use, drill the car body out for it, superglue a suitable section in place and tap that out for the screw. A small post drill helps get the holes straight. Tedious I know but with all that time on your hands it will keep you busy!

Mark K
Oxon, England (Slightly stir crazy!)

Ric Case

Gents I am printing my own 3D cars and drill out the holes for the 00/80 tap with no problem!
Mine are resin and tap very clean ! If I get a little sloppy with the tap, I just use a very fine coating of white glue on the tip of the screw to hold it in place.
Have around thirty already done.

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jun 15, 2020, at 8:23 AM, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

[...]

Dusty

I drilled and tapped a Shapeways San Juan car floor for 0-80 screws. I used Grobet Pro Cut on the drill and tap. I used a 'fresh' tap rather than one which had already tapped 100+ holes in 1/8 acrylic. I was pleased with the results.

Keep in mind if you intend to use the Blackstone provided screws they are metric 1.7 diameter, .35 pitch. These are not compatible with 0-80 diameter and pitch threads. I just attempted to thread a Blackstone 1.7 screw into several 0-80 nuts without success. I guess this is what happens when you try to put a .064" diameter screw into a threaded hole made for a .059" diameter screw.

Dusty Burman

Dale Buxton

Mike, I tried to tap some of my coupler boxes and the pivot post with the through screen hole in it kept shattering. I would deduct from this and what Dusty wrote that I depends on the thickness of the material around hole you are tapping. I will note that the detailed plastic from Shapeways is very brittle. I also agree that a brand tap that is sharp is a very good idea too.

Dale Buxton

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:45 Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
I drilled and tapped a Shapeways San Juan car floor for 0-80 screws. I used Grobet Pro Cut on the drill and tap. I used a 'fresh' tap rather than one which had already tapped 100+ holes in 1/8 acrylic. I was pleased with the results.

Keep in mind if you intend to use the Blackstone provided screws they are metric 1.7 diameter, .35 pitch. These are not compatible with 0-80 diameter and pitch threads. I just attempted to thread a Blackstone 1.7 screw into several 0-80 nuts without success. I guess this is what happens when you try to put a .064" diameter screw into a threaded hole made for a .059" diameter screw.

Dusty Burman

Mike Conder

Thanks to all of you, wanted to hear about other's experiences before I tried it.  I do have a new tap.

But now I'm worried about what Dusty said, that the BS trucks come with metric screws?  I never knew this ... so to be consistent with BS cars I need a different tap or get a bunch of new screws.  Has anybody tapped successfully in anything for BS screws?

Mike Conder

Mark Kasprowicz

Yes,
But there again I have metric taps - 1.4 and 1.7 are the most common. I would NOT attempt to force the screw into a wrong tap especially in 3D printer models.

Metric taps were easier and cheaper on Amazon than the American taps, oddly enough.  I'll order a 1.4 and a 1.7 mm tap anyway.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 1:23 PM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Yes,
But there again I have metric taps - 1.4 and 1.7 are the most common. I would NOT attempt to force the screw into a wrong tap especially in 3D printer models.

Confirmed from Blackstone direct:  truck screws are 1.7mm x 0.35 mm pitch, total length 5.3 mm (only last 2.4 mm of the screw is threadsed.)

Mike Conder

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:09 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
Metric taps were easier and cheaper on Amazon than the American taps, oddly enough.  I'll order a 1.4 and a 1.7 mm tap anyway.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 1:23 PM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Yes,
But there again I have metric taps - 1.4 and 1.7 are the most common. I would NOT attempt to force the screw into a wrong tap especially in 3D printer models.

Mark K

lloyd lehrer

Why are you even trying to use the BS SCREWS? Just use  any that work. And as far as that goes, there is nothing sacred about drilling out the truck mounting holes to a more useful size.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 2:35 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
Confirmed from Blackstone direct:  truck screws are 1.7mm x 0.35 mm pitch, total length 5.3 mm (only last 2.4 mm of the screw is threadsed.)

Mike Conder

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:09 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
Metric taps were easier and cheaper on Amazon than the American taps, oddly enough.  I'll order a 1.4 and a 1.7 mm tap anyway.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 1:23 PM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Yes,
But there again I have metric taps - 1.4 and 1.7 are the most common. I would NOT attempt to force the screw into a wrong tap especially in 3D printer models.

lloyd lehrer

Mike Conder

Mainly because I have most of them ....

Mike Conder

[...]