Topics

National Narrow Gauge Convention – 2020 CANCELED

John Hutnick

I searched Youtube for 2020 Narrow Gauge Convention and got no results.

Mike Mackey

The clinics are being simulcast on YouTube. 

Mike “Rustler” Mackey, MMR 

Mike

On May 30, 2020, at 1:30 PM, "Climax@..." <Climax@... wrote:

I would too, am a member of NMRA since 1974, and also will not join Facebook.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: May 30, 2020 12:02 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] National Narrow Gauge Convention – 2020 CANCELED

I too would like to be able to view clinics or layouts in lieu of the convention.  However, I am not an NMRA member and do not wish to join Facebook.

--
Mike “Rustler” Mackey

Climax@...

I would too, am a member of NMRA since 1974, and also will not join Facebook.

Sent: May 30, 2020 12:02 PM

I too would like to be able to view clinics or layouts in lieu of the convention.  However, I am not an NMRA member and do not wish to join Facebook.

John Hutnick

Russ Norris

I thought the NMRA was already putting clinics online.  I have received a number of notices in recent weeks about offerings on Facebook live.  The following week they are available as videos on YouTube. 

Russ

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 11:54 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
Might also consider putting clinics online. Many are now prepackaged as PDFs, Authors could add comments, along the lines of what they would be saying at a live meeting. This would loose the dynamics of a live interaction, but would allow detailed inspection of images of interest, something that I have often missed. So probably best for historic photo type presentations.

John Stutz

On May 28, 2020 at 5:41 PM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

What an excellent idea! The layout tours are my favorite partIf the conventions.

Dale Buxton

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 11:23 Steven Haworth < haworth7@...> wrote:
So - how about a virtual 40th then?  At least we could have a photo display of models, and (ideally) some video layout tours.  I'd like that.
And we could still have something to 'call' the 40th convention.

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:21 PM claneon30 < chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
Feel free. But you need to know that all the committees following the 40th designed our logos years ago, we have websites reserved, etc, etc.

Therefore, Hickory is the 41st, Seattle is the 42nd and mine in Denver is the 43rd and that really is the end of it. It was discussed and it is not going to change.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

On May 27, 2020, at 10:06 PM, John via groups.io < spaceway1999@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,
I'll have to disagree. From a math stand point, you don't count something that didn't happen.
We can discuss over scotch next year
John Peckham

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 8:57 PM, claneon30
< chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
Negative, it will be the 41st. The 40th will belong to St Louis, albeit with an asterisk.

On May 27, 2020, at 7:55 PM, John via   groups.io  < spaceway1999@...> wrote:

So the 40th convention will now be in Hickory. Life is full of surprises!!
John Peckham

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 6:54 PM, Mark Lewis
< narrowrails12@...> wrote:
Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C. 

On Wed, May 27, 2020, 9:00 PM Don Peterson via   groups.io  <sagenut3= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys,
I turned  OFF the evening news to get away from this type of discussion. This is not the forum for this.

Can we get back to HOn3 modelling?

Don Peterson

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 06:45:59 PM MDT, Dale Buxton < dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

Covid19 and the Yearly Flu don’t care about about any of the things we humans care about! Not borders, not the language you speak, Not what you had for dinner, Not your favorite color, Not world business, not politics And not even our favorite hobbies.

It’ simply an RNA Transfer machine.   For lack of a better description. It’s not even technically alive. But, it has evolved to be opportunistic. It mimics key points in our bodies so it can gain entry. It has a mission and only one mission. To make copies of itself as fast as it can until all the materials it needs are used up. It hijacks the generic code of the cells it infects and re-writes this code to do nothing but make copies of itself. It will do this until the cell is destroyed! It will do this over and over again unless the immune system finds a way to stop it. It will take what it wants from the host up to and including their life.

COVID19 is massively more deadly than the common flu and massively less understood. This should be cause for great alarm by all of us! Instead we get fringe conspiracy nay-sayers.

All of our perceptions of life are colored by our experiences. It’s unavoidable. It’s human nature. My father spent most of his career making chemical and bio weapons for the US government. Accidental releases were frightening beyond the imagination to the people in this field. I guess dad passed I good deal of his concerns about pandemics both man made and naturally occurring on to me. So yes! I take this very, very seriously. 

The US infection rate and death toll ( the highest publicly disclosed in the world) are because too many of us did not take it seriously in the beginning. What we are seeing are the results of that.

To all that read this. Please, please, please. Be smart, be safe, be well.

D. Buxton

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 15:42 NarrowMinded1 < nathan.kline83@...> wrote:
My reply from the Sn# group...

While I agree it is BS, I don't know that I would call it cowardly. I'm one of the people that is in the group of so called "conspiracy theorists." While I believe the virus is real I think it's less of a threat than the seasonal flu and that it is being blown out of proportion for political reasons I can understand the reasoning for not attending. If big box stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's and even convenience stores can remain open then why not small businesses and tourist RR's stay open. If masks work then why social distance? If social distancing works then why the masks? I believe in common sense; stay home if you feel sick or if you have symptoms, wash your hands regularly, and cover your sneeze and cough. I've tried my best to keep this "neutral" so please take that into consideration when reading this. Thank you!
--  
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.
McConnellsburg, PA
--------------------------------------------------
Web:   https://www.tiadaghtonvalleyrr.com/
Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/TiadaghtonValleyRailroad/
YouTube:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJMoICFWw9Muse6xm8moiQ

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

John Stutz

Might also consider putting clinics online. Many are now prepackaged as PDFs, Authors could add comments, along the lines of what they would be saying at a live meeting. This would loose the dynamics of a live interaction, but would allow detailed inspection of images of interest, something that I have often missed. So probably best for historic photo type presentations.

John Stutz

On May 28, 2020 at 5:41 PM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

What an excellent idea! The layout tours are my favorite partIf the conventions.

Dale Buxton

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 11:23 Steven Haworth < haworth7@...> wrote:
So - how about a virtual 40th then?  At least we could have a photo display of models, and (ideally) some video layout tours.  I'd like that.

- Steve Haworth
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:21 PM claneon30 < chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
Feel free. But you need to know that all the committees following the 40th designed our logos years ago, we have websites reserved, etc, etc.

Therefore, Hickory is the 41st, Seattle is the 42nd and mine in Denver is the 43rd and that really is the end of it. It was discussed and it is not going to change.

On May 27, 2020, at 10:06 PM, John via groups.io < spaceway1999@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,
I'll have to disagree. From a math stand point, you don't count something that didn't happen.
John Peckham

< chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
Negative, it will be the 41st. The 40th will belong to St Louis, albeit with an asterisk.

On May 27, 2020, at 7:55 PM, John via   groups.io  < spaceway1999@...> wrote:

John Peckham

< narrowrails12@...> wrote:
Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

On Wed, May 27, 2020, 9:00 PM Don Peterson via   groups.io  <sagenut3= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys,
I turned  OFF the evening news to get away from this type of discussion. This is not the forum for this.

Don Peterson

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 06:45:59 PM MDT, Dale Buxton < dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

Covid19 and the Yearly Flu don’t care about about any of the things we humans care about! Not borders, not the language you speak, Not what you had for dinner, Not your favorite color, Not world business, not politics And not even our favorite hobbies.

It’ simply an RNA Transfer machine.   For lack of a better description. It’s not even technically alive. But, it has evolved to be opportunistic. It mimics key points in our bodies so it can gain entry. It has a mission and only one mission. To make copies of itself as fast as it can until all the materials it needs are used up. It hijacks the generic code of the cells it infects and re-writes this code to do nothing but make copies of itself. It will do this until the cell is destroyed! It will do this over and over again unless the immune system finds a way to stop it. It will take what it wants from the host up to and including their life.

COVID19 is massively more deadly than the common flu and massively less understood. This should be cause for great alarm by all of us! Instead we get fringe conspiracy nay-sayers.

All of our perceptions of life are colored by our experiences. It’s unavoidable. It’s human nature. My father spent most of his career making chemical and bio weapons for the US government. Accidental releases were frightening beyond the imagination to the people in this field. I guess dad passed I good deal of his concerns about pandemics both man made and naturally occurring on to me. So yes! I take this very, very seriously. 

The US infection rate and death toll ( the highest publicly disclosed in the world) are because too many of us did not take it seriously in the beginning. What we are seeing are the results of that.

D. Buxton

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 15:42 NarrowMinded1 < nathan.kline83@...> wrote:

While I agree it is BS, I don't know that I would call it cowardly. I'm one of the people that is in the group of so called "conspiracy theorists." While I believe the virus is real I think it's less of a threat than the seasonal flu and that it is being blown out of proportion for political reasons I can understand the reasoning for not attending. If big box stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's and even convenience stores can remain open then why not small businesses and tourist RR's stay open. If masks work then why social distance? If social distancing works then why the masks? I believe in common sense; stay home if you feel sick or if you have symptoms, wash your hands regularly, and cover your sneeze and cough. I've tried my best to keep this "neutral" so please take that into consideration when reading this. Thank you!
--  
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA
Web:   https://www.tiadaghtonvalleyrr.com/
Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/TiadaghtonValleyRailroad/
YouTube:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJMoICFWw9Muse6xm8moiQ

Dale Buxton

Dale Buxton

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 11:23 Steven Haworth <haworth7@...> wrote:

- Steve Haworth

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:21 PM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

On May 27, 2020, at 10:06 PM, John via groups.io <spaceway1999@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,
John Peckham

On May 27, 2020, at 7:55 PM, John via groups.io <spaceway1999@...> wrote:

John Peckham

Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

On Wed, May 27, 2020, 9:00 PM Don Peterson via groups.io <sagenut3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys,

Don Peterson

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 06:45:59 PM MDT, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

D. Buxton

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 15:42 NarrowMinded1 <nathan.kline83@...> wrote:

-- 
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA
Web: https://www.tiadaghtonvalleyrr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TiadaghtonValleyRailroad/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJMoICFWw9Muse6xm8moiQ

For most model railroaders the hobby has a big social element in it. The cultural effect of the pandemic has hurt that.  I think it's good to talk about it and share positive thoughts on what comes next.  But it's a dreary subject.
One direction I think will sooth the hurts will be to explore the artistic side of our hobby.  Artists have, for millennia past, been working in a mostly one way world.  It is the rare artist (other than art teachers) who hangs around his exhibition to interact with others of his kind or the general public.  Art is really an expression of one's self that is given to others, even if there is a minimal intercourse of communications involved.
So think about your model as a work of art.  It is usually static.  The 2d version is easy to share.  The 3d is not so in these pandemic times even though technology of the future may change that.  But there are also opportunities for especially the 2d version to be dynamic, by adding animation and making a video presentation as some of us are doing in early experiments.  But the existing "art" and technology has a long way to go to compete with traditional forms of art.
One approach is to build the model or an entire scene and use it to tell a pleasing story (or perhaps a horror story) in a well posed and/or edited photo.  We have pretty cool (and affordable) computer technology today to support that approach where the captured image is the essence of the art.
Another approach is a sequence of images that tell a story through the medium of changing scenery.  Sure, moving train models around is the foundation of our hobby.  But how about changing other elements of the scene to produce a story of a dynamic activity.  How might we alter our modeling to make it easy to reset "stage" where the story is filmed.  You don't need animation if the medium is a set of fixed images like illustrations in a story book. A real interesting approach is to model the same place in two different times, perhaps decades apart.  What a great way to use up that duplicate kit you ended up with and never got around to selling or giving away.  Just model all your buildings to be removable from the layout with a minimum of damage to the scenery around.  Or make the "before" a vacant lot.

What you do need is model elements that are easy to move around (like human figures or trees with pins sticking down rather than flat bases).  Or movable arms. How about smoke and steam that are painted on thin transparent plastic or boats that are waterline models with wakes.  Lots of space here for creativity. And plenty of things to share with others as a new environmental reality surrounds us.

claneon30

Given the run up, the earliest they could bid would be 2025. Perhaps they will and that would be great.

But also know that they took a financial by doing this, so no one should be surprised if they are not jonesing to jump back in.

On May 28, 2020, at 7:14 AM, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

Since there were no bids for the 2024 convention, maybe the St. Louis group could go for that one. It wouldn’t be a “commemorative” year, maybe they could call it the combined 40th and 44th convention. We who are hunkering down for this year would certainly get the joke.

On May 28, 2020, at 2:30 AM, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

I agree Jim, 

What Narrowminded1 wrote simply made me angry. I felt compelled to not let what he wrote simply pass for anything more than what it really was. I apologize to the list for my post. The sad thing is, I saw the Narrow Gauge Convention being cancelled way back at the end of February. Now it has come to pass and I think the St. Louis crew did the right thing for us. Now we can look foreward to next year. In the mean time, we all have more time to model our favorite HOn3 projects.

So I wish everyone happy modeling!

Dale Buxton

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 9:17 PM Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:
Well said, Dale. I guess those of us with backgrounds in biology have a better understanding of what doctors, epidemiologists, scientists, and so on are saying.

However, I think we are drifting off topic for the group. Perhaps it is time for a little self restrain, me included.

Steven Haworth

- Steve Haworth

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:21 PM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,
John Peckham

John Peckham

Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

On Wed, May 27, 2020, 9:00 PM Don Peterson via groups.io <sagenut3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys,

Don Peterson

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 06:45:59 PM MDT, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

D. Buxton

-- 
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA

claneon30

Hi Chris,
John Peckham

John Peckham

Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

Guys,

Don Peterson

D. Buxton

-- 
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA

John Short

Thank you, Chris!  I could not have said it better, and more succinctly!

John Short

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 11:57:25 PM EDT, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

On May 27, 2020, at 7:55 PM, John via groups.io <spaceway1999@...> wrote:

John Peckham

Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

On Wed, May 27, 2020, 9:00 PM Don Peterson via groups.io <sagenut3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys,

Don Peterson

D. Buxton

--
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA
Web: https://www.tiadaghtonvalleyrr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TiadaghtonValleyRailroad/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJMoICFWw9Muse6xm8moiQ

Jim Marlett

Since there were no bids for the 2024 convention, maybe the St. Louis group could go for that one. It wouldn’t be a “commemorative” year, maybe they could call it the combined 40th and 44th convention. We who are hunkering down for this year would certainly get the joke.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On May 28, 2020, at 2:30 AM, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

I agree Jim, 

What Narrowminded1 wrote simply made me angry. I felt compelled to not let what he wrote simply pass for anything more than what it really was. I apologize to the list for my post. The sad thing is, I saw the Narrow Gauge Convention being cancelled way back at the end of February. Now it has come to pass and I think the St. Louis crew did the right thing for us. Now we can look foreward to next year. In the mean time, we all have more time to model our favorite HOn3 projects.

Dale Buxton

Well said, Dale. I guess those of us with backgrounds in biology have a better understanding of what doctors, epidemiologists, scientists, and so on are saying.

However, I think we are drifting off topic for the group. Perhaps it is time for a little self restrain, me included.

Dale Buxton

I agree Jim, 

Dale Buxton

On May 27, 2020, at 7:45 PM, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

D. Buxton

John

Hi Chris,
John Peckham

<chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

John Peckham

Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

On Wed, May 27, 2020, 9:00 PM Don Peterson via groups.io <sagenut3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys,

Don Peterson

D. Buxton

--
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA

claneon30

John Peckham

Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

Guys,

Don Peterson

D. Buxton

--
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA

Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On May 27, 2020, at 7:45 PM, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

D. Buxton

Climax@...

Dale:
I agree 100% with you.  My wife and I have been grounded to the house with no visitors except out daughter until recently when her xhusband got together with another woman who had kids and a husband who takes her kids to Miami.  Now she can come over but stays outside and we maintain at least an 8 foot space between us and them and wear masks.  We have been grounded since February and at 73 we are taking no chances.
I do believe this was a mistaken release of a Military grade bio weapon by the Chineses and it just got out of control.  Now we see how easily a bio weapon and how quickly it can spread over the whole world.  The has been outlawed and all nations signed on to it so why is China still playing with it?
Dave

Sent: May 27, 2020 8:45 PM

D. Buxton

--
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA

John

John Peckham

<narrowrails12@...> wrote:
Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

Guys,

Don Peterson

D. Buxton

--
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA

Mark Lewis

Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis 

Guys,

Don Peterson

D. Buxton

--
Nathan Kline
McConnellsburg, PA