Topics

PSC Short Caboose Kit Decal Set

John Stutz

Rob

The general rules of air brake rigging are fairly simple: The railroad air brake acts by applying pressure to the cylinder, pushing the piston out. The piston rod is hollow with a loose push rod inside, which allows the hand brake to work without moving the piston . Chains and long rods always act in tension, but inside hung brake beam levers are connected by a short stiff compression rod. The brake levers' pivot distances are proportioned to put equal force on all brake shoes. The 'floating lever', the one attached to the push rod and and hand brake rigging,and the 'fixed lever' with one end pivoted on the car frame, are proportioned so that the total force on brake shoes does not exceed about 70% of a car's light weight, when a standard service application gives the standard piston stroke. This is to avoid slid wheels caused by excessive shoe pressure, but does not affect us.

It does get a little more complicated when two hand brakes are provided, since each needs to work independently, and independently of the air brake, to avoid excessive brake shoe pressure. The 1906 Car Builder's Dictionary is online and has several drawings illustrating such rigging. Figures 1101 shows a passenger car arrangement previously recommended by Westinghouse, but this allows the hand brakes to combine with the air brake to give excess pressure on the wheels, Figure 1185 is a better one, where the two systems act independently. Essentially the hand brakes each act on the ends of a fixed center pivoted combination lever, the B side end of which is also chained to the flloating lever, where a single ended hand brake normally attaches.

The PSC short caboose kits attempt to model a minor variation of the latter design, but have an error in their execution. Lay out the foundation brake levers casting, as it appears in the under-body illustration. The handbrake combination lever (illustration's arrow 15) and the air brake floating lever are connected by chains at each end. The chain tieing the brake cylinder or B ends is correct. The chain at the opposite or A end is not. The A end chain should tie the combining lever to the car's A end hand brake rod. The floating lever A end should tie to the car's B end truck's brake levers, same as in the single hand brake freight car rigging. These floating and combination levers should NOT be in the same vertical plane at their A ends, since their connections each cross the other lever.

Essentially, all that has been added is the combination lever with its fixed center pivot, in order to employ double hand brake wheels. But note that you always need to release the applied wheel, to release the brakes, when braked by hand.

John Stutz

On June 3, 2020 at 5:47 AM "Robert Bell via groups.io" <ionhoss@...> wrote:

Thank you Tony.  That caboose looks awesome - really well done.  I have tried to research the brake rigging and. One up with nothing so I am going to follow the PSC instructions as well.  Was just curious what you had done, thanks.

Rob

Robert Bell

Thank you Tony.  That caboose looks awesome - really well done.  I have tried to research the brake rigging and. One up with nothing so I am going to follow the PSC instructions as well.  Was just curious what you had done, thanks.

Rob

bassb04011

Looks good Tony!
Brian