Topics

PSC Short Caboose Kit Decal Set

John Stutz

Rob

The general rules of air brake rigging are fairly simple: The railroad air brake acts by applying pressure to the cylinder, pushing the piston out. The piston rod is hollow with a loose push rod inside, which allows the hand brake to work without moving the piston . Chains and long rods always act in tension, but inside hung brake beam levers are connected by a short stiff compression rod. The brake levers' pivot distances are proportioned to put equal force on all brake shoes. The 'floating lever', the one attached to the push rod and and hand brake rigging,and the 'fixed lever' with one end pivoted on the car frame, are proportioned so that the total force on brake shoes does not exceed about 70% of a car's light weight, when a standard service application gives the standard piston stroke. This is to avoid slid wheels caused by excessive shoe pressure, but does not affect us.

It does get a little more complicated when two hand brakes are provided, since each needs to work independently, and independently of the air brake, to avoid excessive brake shoe pressure. The 1906 Car Builder's Dictionary is online and has several drawings illustrating such rigging. Figures 1101 shows a passenger car arrangement previously recommended by Westinghouse, but this allows the hand brakes to combine with the air brake to give excess pressure on the wheels, Figure 1185 is a better one, where the two systems act independently. Essentially the hand brakes each act on the ends of a fixed center pivoted combination lever, the B side end of which is also chained to the flloating lever, where a single ended hand brake normally attaches.

The PSC short caboose kits attempt to model a minor variation of the latter design, but have an error in their execution. Lay out the foundation brake levers casting, as it appears in the under-body illustration. The handbrake combination lever (illustration's arrow 15) and the air brake floating lever are connected by chains at each end. The chain tieing the brake cylinder or B ends is correct. The chain at the opposite or A end is not. The A end chain should tie the combining lever to the car's A end hand brake rod. The floating lever A end should tie to the car's B end truck's brake levers, same as in the single hand brake freight car rigging. These floating and combination levers should NOT be in the same vertical plane at their A ends, since their connections each cross the other lever.

Essentially, all that has been added is the combination lever with its fixed center pivot, in order to employ double hand brake wheels. But note that you always need to release the applied wheel, to release the brakes, when braked by hand.

John Stutz

On June 3, 2020 at 5:47 AM "Robert Bell via groups.io" <ionhoss@...> wrote:

Thank you Tony.  That caboose looks awesome - really well done.  I have tried to research the brake rigging and. One up with nothing so I am going to follow the PSC instructions as well.  Was just curious what you had done, thanks.

Rob

Robert Bell

Thank you Tony.  That caboose looks awesome - really well done.  I have tried to research the brake rigging and. One up with nothing so I am going to follow the PSC instructions as well.  Was just curious what you had done, thanks.

Rob

bassb04011

Looks good Tony!
Brian

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of tonyk537 via groups.io <Tonyk375@...>
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:42 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [HOn3] PSC Short Caboose Kit Decal Set

Thanks guys.  I wish I could say I researched exactly how the brake components were on those oddball high cabooses, but I just followed the PSC kit instructions for that part of it.

The steps are built up from strip styrene and brass rod. Turned out very strong as the brass rod pins them into the car body and platform sill.

Been pretty happy with this type of weathering over the last years.  Shoot the car a base color with gloss then decal and clear.  Then a fiberglass erasure to remove lettering.  For the variation in color, I brush paint individual boards with a half a dozen different reds, grays and tans.  Finish it off with a little more fiberglass eraser and a little wash.  Gives a nice variation of color and sheen.  A little "texture" as Dick Dorman used to call it.

Tony Kassin

tonyk537

Thanks guys.  I wish I could say I researched exactly how the brake components were on those oddball high cabooses, but I just followed the PSC kit instructions for that part of it.

The steps are built up from strip styrene and brass rod. Turned out very strong as the brass rod pins them into the car body and platform sill.

Been pretty happy with this type of weathering over the last years.  Shoot the car a base color with gloss then decal and clear.  Then a fiberglass erasure to remove lettering.  For the variation in color, I brush paint individual boards with a half a dozen different reds, grays and tans.  Finish it off with a little more fiberglass eraser and a little wash.  Gives a nice variation of color and sheen.  A little "texture" as Dick Dorman used to call it.

Tony Kassin

Jim Marlett

Using Google Earth, I measure 111 yards from the main line and 156 yards from the depot. In other words, pretty close.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On May 27, 2020, at 8:41 AM, Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:

That car looks great.  How close is the SN Engine house to the D&SNG operations?  I haven't been up to Silverton in many years.  Also, are those Link & pin couplers on the 1005?  I can't really tell from the photo.

Thanks for the info.

Bill Lugg

On 5/27/20 5:51 AM, Jim Marlett wrote:
The four wheel short caboose in Silverton wasn’t a C&S caboose. It was a former D&RG then Silverton Northern caboose. Here is a bit more about it.

https://www.silvertonnorthern.com/equipment-roster.html

Jim Marlett

On May 26, 2020, at 10:49 PM, Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:

Since we're discussing short cabooses, there used to be a 4-wheel C&S(?) caboose in Silverton, CO on display across the creek (and the freeway) from the entrance to the Georgetown Loop.  The last time I was up that way as I recall it was gone - I believe the track section was still there.

Was I blind and just missed it on has it been move elsewhere?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Robert Bell

Tony, 

I'd love to see how you handled the brake component placement.  Those platform steps look so delicate!   Nice job!!

Rob Bell
Waynesville, NC

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 11:40 PM, tonyk537 via groups.io
<Tonyk375@...> wrote:
My HOn3 version of the 0548

Jeff Young

Lovely weathering!

bassb04011

Looks great!
Brian

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of tonyk537 via groups.io <Tonyk375@...>
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:40 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>

tonyk537

John Stutz

Very welcome to it Brian.
They were not something that I would ever have used.

John

On May 26, 2020 at 6:26 PM Brian Jansky <brianj844@...> wrote:

Many thanks John. PM was sent earlier today. 

Brian

Bill Lugg

That car looks great.  How close is the SN Engine house to the D&SNG operations?  I haven't been up to Silverton in many years.  Also, are those Link & pin couplers on the 1005?  I can't really tell from the photo.

Thanks for the info.

Bill Lugg

On 5/27/20 5:51 AM, Jim Marlett wrote:
The four wheel short caboose in Silverton wasn’t a C&S caboose. It was a former D&RG then Silverton Northern caboose. Here is a bit more about it.

Jim Marlett

On May 26, 2020, at 10:49 PM, Bill Lugg <@luggw1> wrote:

Since we're discussing short cabooses, there used to be a 4-wheel C&S(?) caboose in Silverton, CO on display across the creek (and the freeway) from the entrance to the Georgetown Loop. The last time I was up that way as I recall it was gone - I believe the track section was still there.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Bill Lugg

Yes, I meant Silver Plume...it was late in the evening and only a few neurons were left firing.

Thanks for the info.

Bill Lugg

On 5/26/20 10:34 PM, Ken Martin via groups.io wrote:
Bill,

That would be Silver Plume not Silverton.
Yes C&S 1006 is in Silver Plume, it has been moved into a building there and a group is in the process of restoring it.
All though it is going very slow.

Ken Martin

On May 26, 2020, at 8:49 PM, Bill Lugg <@luggw1> wrote:

Since we're discussing short cabooses, there used to be a 4-wheel C&S(?) caboose in Silverton, CO on display across the creek (and the freeway) from the entrance to the Georgetown Loop. The last time I was up that way as I recall it was gone - I believe the track section was still there.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

On May 26, 2020, at 10:49 PM, Bill Lugg <@luggw1> wrote:

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Mick Moignard

Don’t you mean Silver Plume?

Mick

, so please excuse the typos...

Ken Martin

Bill,

That would be Silver Plume not Silverton.
Yes C&S 1006 is in Silver Plume, it has been moved into a building there and a group is in the process of restoring it.
All though it is going very slow.

Ken Martin

On May 26, 2020, at 8:49 PM, Bill Lugg <@luggw1> wrote:

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Bill Lugg

Since we're discussing short cabooses, there used to be a 4-wheel C&S(?) caboose in Silverton, CO on display across the creek (and the freeway) from the entrance to the Georgetown Loop.  The last time I was up that way as I recall it was gone - I believe the track section was still there.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Brian Jansky

Many thanks John. PM was sent earlier today. 

Brian

John Stutz

Rob

That's a very nice start on yours.

The USATC's ex. Silverton Northern caboose was ex. D&RG, so its the obvious possibility. But construction era photographs of the WP&Y include a few glimpses of the two 4-wheelers purchased from the Colombia & Puget Sound, as part of the original freight stock, They were soon replaced by Skagway built long cabooses, but the bodies hung around for decades, For instance, the current long steel Caboose cabin, located adjacent to the East Fork bridge at Denver, was preceded by a short caboose fishing(?) cabin set a little further up the river. I am not now certain if it was a former C&PS, SN, or C&S caboose, as it had long since burned when Carl Mulvihill told me about it in 1976. I hiked up to examine the remains, but there was nothing left above the half burned underframe, beyond a few iron rods.

Another attractive possibility is the C&PS's long narrow gauge design, which had presumably sidelined the 4-wheelers before C&PS converted them to SG, along with the rest of the railroad in 1897. There were at least 9 of these, C&PS #812-20, later Pacific Coast(WA) 50-56, most retired around 1910, probably in favor of stell underframe cabooses. Best's "Ships & Narrow Gauge Rails", recently republished under another name, has a photograph of caboose 53 on SG trucks on p145, and I have purchased a few other photos from internet sources. These were quite attractive baggage door cabooses, very like Ward Kimball's ex. Pacific Coast(CA) ex. NCO caboose now at Orange Empire. And I suspect they were the prototype for Jack Work's article on constructing an HOn3 model of a side door caboose, published in MR about 50 years ago

John

On May 26, 2020 at 6:07 AM Rob Bell <ionhoss@...> wrote:

John,
Are you planning on making a USA caboose out of it?  If so, you will like the progress I have made on mine.  I shortened the sides and frame 1 scale foot.  Then realized at the cupola was also shorter (side view).  The end windows were smaller than the kid's were also.  I need to get back to working on this.

Btw, I won't need my decals either.

Rob Bell
Waynesville, NC

Robert Bell

During WWII, the U.S. Army acquired several cabeese from Colorado narrow gauge railroads for use in Alaska on the White Pass & Yukon Route.  They got two from the Colorado & Southern, and one from the Silverton Northern.  The xSN caboose had been the D&RG 0556.  

The 0556 was originally a 16ft bodied 4-wheel job.  Shortly after the turn of the last century, the caboose was one of a handful rebuilt into an 8-wheel cabeese.  Others in this unique group were 0518, 0524, 0526, 0528, 0548, 0556, and 0559.

When they were rebuilt, additional frame members were added and they sat higher on their trucks.  Also, they did not have visible truss rods as the original truss rods were behind the original side sills.  Each of these cabees had unique and distinguishing features and many changes were made to them over the years.  After a wreck, the 0524, (which is the only one to survive as an 8-wheeler), was rebuilt again and thus became a one of a kind - 16ft body, 8-wheels, visible truss rods, with that "low-slung" look.

Hope this explains what I meant by USA caboose...even if I did get sidetracked.

Rob

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 9:16 AM, Lawrence Wisniewski via groups.io
<lwreno@...> wrote:
What is a USAcaboose?

Lawrence Wisniewski <lwreno@...>

What is a USAcaboose?

-----Original Message-----
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>; John Stutz <john.stutz@...>; HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>; Brian Jansky <brianj844@...>
Sent: Tue, May 26, 2020 9:07 am

John,
Are you planning on making a USA caboose out of it?  If so, you will like the progress I have made on mine.  I shortened the sides and frame 1 scale foot.  Then realized at the cupola was also shorter (side view).  The end windows were smaller than the kid's were also.  I need to get back to working on this.

Btw, I won't need my decals either.

Rob Bell
Waynesville, NC