Topics

Mac based Layout Planning Software

Michael Dunn

Historically, I have used Adobe Illustrator with Hot Door's CADTools and Rick Johnson's Graffix Trackplan plug-ins. Rick hasn't updated his plug-ins in years though.

Any recommendation for a substitute that will run natively on a Mac (i.e. with out having to run Bootcamp, Parallels, Crossover, etc.)? I'm handlaying using Fast Track jigs, so a dedicated manufacturers library isn't necessarily needed.

Any specific likes or dislikes of what others have used?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Steven Haworth

Love love love Empire Express - used it on my layout design.  It's on the Apple AppStore.

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 1:44 PM Michael Dunn <mdunn@...> wrote:
Historically, I have used Adobe Illustrator with Hot Door's CADTools and Rick Johnson's Graffix Trackplan plug-ins. Rick hasn't updated his plug-ins in years though.

Any recommendation for a substitute that will run natively on a Mac (i.e. with out having to run Bootcamp, Parallels, Crossover, etc.)? I'm handlaying using Fast Track jigs, so a dedicated manufacturers library isn't necessarily needed.

Any specific likes or dislikes of what others have used?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Stephen Silver

I use Empire Express as well on my iMac and MBA.  Doing a fairly good job for me.

Stephen Silver

Life is mostly attitude and timing

On Monday, May 11, 2020, 02:50:58 PM EDT, Steven Haworth <haworth7@...> wrote:

Love love love Empire Express - used it on my layout design.  It's on the Apple AppStore.

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 1:44 PM Michael Dunn <mdunn@...> wrote:
Historically, I have used Adobe Illustrator with Hot Door's CADTools and Rick Johnson's Graffix Trackplan plug-ins. Rick hasn't updated his plug-ins in years though.

Any recommendation for a substitute that will run natively on a Mac (i.e. with out having to run Bootcamp, Parallels, Crossover, etc.)? I'm handlaying using Fast Track jigs, so a dedicated manufacturers library isn't necessarily needed.

Any specific likes or dislikes of what others have used?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Jim Marlett

I use Empire Express also and recommend it. It doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, but it gets the job done.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On May 11, 2020, at 2:34 PM, Stephen Silver via groups.io <ssilver996@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff Young

I use MacDraft.  It has *no* layout-specific additions, but I use it mostly for buildings and don’t really want to learn something else for track plans.

Michael Dunn

Steven, Stephen and Jim; thanks for the suggestion. Empire Express appears relatively intuitive. Steven, I am a frequent visitor to your site. Good to know the drawing can be exported into another program. I’ll download the free demo and do a bit of messing-about today.

Jeff, thanks for the heads up on MacDRAFT. Got excited when I first went to the App store and thought I saw a train layout in the first architectural drawing… and then was disappointed to realizet it was actually a giant tub in the master bath! LOL.

Mike

burrst54

Thanks - I hadn't heard of this and it looks great!
Burr Stewart
Seattle, WA