Topics

Staging Track Spacing

Dave Trimble

I have a six track yard.

Given that my layout is used by an operating group, I found, out that by experience, that 2 1/4” is a practical minimum.

Dave

lloyd lehrer

The spacing depends on physical criteria of the Operator working space at the layout. I am not too ham handed but an tall so I can read the car numbering but need a lower shelf height to get my fingers in and realign a truck. If you use retailers instead of fingers it's less space but harder for me to retrieve the retailer. On upper tracks I need less space for fingers.  Just stick some cars next to each other at the layout height and depth you want and try not bumping the other cars.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Mon, May 11, 2020, 10:02 AM Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Staging is 'inline' and visible, on layout trackage. Virtually no need to 'read' or handle cars. Re-staging is way bill flipping. I have up to 24" width for seven tracks.

1. I have no practical Hon3 Staging Track Spacing experience. I do have a great deal of operating experience on standard guage railroads.
2. I'm thinking seven tracks with three - 3 way lap switches on each end.
3. When I lay two NMRA Hon3 guages next to one another it looks like 1.75 " minimum center spacing. Is this enough? Is two inches 'safe'.
4. If I do need to swap in a car my rerailers work at 1.75" spacing.

I haven't spiked down a test as of yet.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

--