Topics

Corona virus Kadee builds

LARRY KLOSE

oh, and now I need like a go-zillion worth of candle power for lights to see what the heck Im doing.
I bet'cha she can put 'em together in the dark almost

I needed that before I had cataract surgery.  Now I only need stadium lights.<G>  In seriousness, the cataracts really cut down my ability to see in lower light.

Practically, Ive bought a nice bright LED desk light with varied intensities and color balance for my bench and a head worn light from Harbor Freight for moveable projects and under layout work.  That and a set of multi-focus glasses and Im all set.

Larry

Robert Bell

OH!  Don't get me wrong, I had me 1.75x reading glasses AND my Optisors with the #5 lens...lol

Rob

kevin b

ME TOO.

oh, and now I need like a go-zillion worth of candle power for lights to see what the heck i'm doing to.
I bet'cha she can put 'em together in the dark almost.

Kevin I offered my half-frame magnifiers but she said no.... boy I miss those days. =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Kevin I offered my half-frame magnifiers but she said no.... boy I miss those days. =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

kevin b

she is not even using glasses or magnifiers either......

So we are self isolating like everybody else and I tried building some Kadee 716 HOn3 trucks which I haven't done in 20 years (back when I was in my late thirties). Wow did those springs get smaller! Well with about 14 Kadee kits on hand I knew I was in trouble. Fortunately, my 17 year old daughter was getting bored enough after a month of Play Station 4 games and nothing else to do, to agree to build a Kadee HOn3 spring truck for $2. She making about $16 an hour with her fast and nimble fingers. See the attached photo.

From now on I will buy HGC trucks from Kadee..... =)
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

John G Massura

Just start by dropping 1 car off and picking 1 up so she learns the throttle and coupling/uncoupling.

Then add a 2nd car, and eventually  something like you have to move a car to spot the one behind it, etc.

You don’t have to count moves, the prototype switched by having the man on the ground walk the least.

John

P.S. Not sure what you model, but maybe you can get her interested in a shake-the-box kit so it’s HER car she’s switching. Baby steps.

On Apr 20, 2020, at 09:40, Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

Not a bad idea John,
She does like puzzles..... I need some of those old John Allen switching puzzles.....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Not a bad idea John,
She does like puzzles..... I need some of those old John Allen switching puzzles.....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

John G Massura

Give her a switching puzzle to solve, they love to do puzzles and a hands-on 3D one is even better.

John Massura
Chicago, IL

On Apr 20, 2020, at 09:23, Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

Rob,
I have lost some dexterity/feelings in the digits. Just enough lost to make it hard to slide the spring plate back and forth when attaching the side frames without springs going flying....I got one done but it took hours. Enter the nimble fingers of the 17 year old. By the time she was on her third one, she was clocking them in at under 8 minutes. It was her idea to time herself. =)

Now if I could only get her interested in model railroading..... =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Rob,
I have lost some dexterity/feelings in the digits. Just enough lost to make it hard to slide the spring plate back and forth when attaching the side frames without springs going flying....I got one done but it took hours. Enter the nimble fingers of the 17 year old. By the time she was on her third one, she was clocking them in at under 8 minutes. It was her idea to time herself. =)

Now if I could only get her interested in model railroading..... =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Robert Bell

I too, hadn't built any of these in about 20 odd years or so until recently.   I have the jig, and once I figured out how it worked (again), it went surprisingly well.

Rob Bell

Mark Lewis

Brian:

Good for your daughter! 👍

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, 9:50 AM Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:
So we are self isolating like everybody else and I tried building some Kadee 716 HOn3 trucks which I haven't done in 20 years (back when I was in my late thirties). Wow did those springs get smaller! Well with about 14 Kadee kits on hand I knew I was in trouble. Fortunately, my 17 year old daughter was getting bored enough after a month of Play Station 4 games and nothing else to do, to agree to build a Kadee HOn3 spring truck for $2. She making about $16 an hour with her fast and nimble fingers. See the attached photo.

From now on I will buy HGC trucks from Kadee..... =)
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

So we are self isolating like everybody else and I tried building some Kadee 716 HOn3 trucks which I haven't done in 20 years (back when I was in my late thirties). Wow did those springs get smaller! Well with about 14 Kadee kits on hand I knew I was in trouble. Fortunately, my 17 year old daughter was getting bored enough after a month of Play Station 4 games and nothing else to do, to agree to build a Kadee HOn3 spring truck for $2. She making about $16 an hour with her fast and nimble fingers. See the attached photo.

From now on I will buy HGC trucks from Kadee..... =)
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL