Mark

I have no knowledge of specifics regarding the K-37, but conversion from coal to oil firing usually includes replacing the grates and ashpan with a solid firebrick floor and side walls,the latter carried up high enough to shield the inner firebox side sheets from direct flame impingement. So conversion back will require as much work as converting from coal to oil.

John Stutz

On April 20, 2020 at 1:37 PM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

Lawrence, The oil tank is a drop in over the conventional Kż37 load area, Not sure what happens in the grate though if it was converted back to coal,

Mark K

Lawrence Wisniewski <lwreno@...>

This was just my attempt to ease the pain caused by a more serious discussion a while back between myself and someone associated with the conversion of that K-37 to oil.  We had a very serious disagreement(for him anyway) about the aesthetic quality of that effort.  I'm a purist when it comes to preserving the unique look of  locos that have been returned to use.  I appreciate that the equation must contain economic and pragmatic variables (such as fire risks), and also appreciate that corporations are not well known for meticulous restorations as a way of insuring their continued existence.  They needed this engine in Durango to appease public grumbling, and that's OK with me.  However, after staring at photos and the existing examples of these engines for more than 40 years, I've developed what in my former line of work is called an ideogram, a sort of internal mental catalog of what something looks like, and this catalog then becomes how I judge the effects of my modeling and the faithfulness of other's efforts to reproduce the character of something from real life.  For me, I can instantly spot such traits as the length of a cab roof extension or the use of certain devises to protect cab roof openings and so on.  This is sort of a form of rivet counting, and some folks find it distasteful and annoying.  Well, ok, but if we are talking about preservation work, we need to have standards.

 I let it be known when this 37 was finally rolled out that I thought it's profile had been badly served by the oil tank projecting far above the tender's normal upper edge and that the rear slope in the cab and it's roof (whose origin I have never determined other than the equally noticable backward slope in the rear most running board suggesting some sort of damaging collision in the past) compounded the problem by leading the eye directly back to the offending tank top.  In my mind, a true restoration of this loco could have been accomplished by other means that would have preserved the tender profile, and the cab tilt should have been corrected by whatever was needed to be fixed because I found no evidence of it's presence in photos from the engines working life.  I was informed that the tank volume was determined by the amount of oil need for a round trip to Silverton.  In response I suggested either trucking oil to Silverton to refuel as needed, or better yet, convert one of the old UTLX tank cars to serve as auxiliary tender.  Such remedies were even prototypical on the Rio Grande for rotary water, and for other fuel on many of the big time standard guage roads such as the B&O and the N&W.  The response I got to all this was pretty much out of line with what most of us would regard as appropriate for an aesthetic discussion.  My origins and level of intelligence were called in question with little delicacy. Some of these folks just didn't seem to understand the difference between the label 'restoration' and the label 'modification'.  Every year in museums all over the world some of the most exacting and demanding work imaginable is performed to turn old masterpieces back into what they started out as(restoration) once the procession of touch up artists had finished their mishandling of these irreplaceable works over the centuries(modification).  The same goes for antique car restoration vs. customizing street rods.  Theres plenty of room for both outlooks in this world.

 I do believe that lovers of the narrow gauge contain no small number of nit pickers like myself in their ranks.  I  got a kick out of the one guy who expressed the opinion that he hoped that the D&S would simply restore the paint on these diesels to an authentic color and just add the road name in small letters under the cab windows.  Seems like a pretty decent idea to me.  Sorry for the length of this reply. It's just a replay of the old trash vs. treasure fable.

rom: Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...>
To: HOn3@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Apr 20, 2020 2:37 pm
Subject: Re: [HOn3] HOn3 PSC DL535 question

Lawrence, The oil tank is a drop in over the conventional Kż37 load area, Not sure what happens in the grate though if it was converted back to coal,

Mark K

Mark Kasprowicz

Lawrence, The oil tank is a drop in over the conventional Kż37 load area, Not sure what happens in the grate though if it was converted back to coal,

Cheeky bloke ... 😉

Mike Conder

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 12:29 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
I have it on very good authority that they will all have green boilers.

Er, No wait! That's not quite right.

Mark K

Lawrence Wisniewski <lwreno@...>

I heard that the guys who did the latest K-37 are busy trying to figure out where to put detatchable coal bins for just in case use.  They're sure you diesel purists will smile on their ingenuity and appreciate their dedication.

LOL....the "green boiler" conspiracy fans will go crazy, now!!  🤯

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, 2:29 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
I have it on very good authority that they will all have green boilers.

Er, No wait! That's not quite right.

Mark K

Mark Lewis

LOL....the "green boiler" conspiracy fans will go crazy, now!!  🤯

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, 2:29 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
I have it on very good authority that they will all have green boilers.

Er, No wait! That's not quite right.

Mark K

Mark Kasprowicz

I have it on very good authority that they will all have green boilers.

Er, No wait! That's not quite right.

Mark K

TED

I have a question as well........has anyone seen of or have one for sale? Been looking for a mate to mine.
Thanks Ted

Richard Johnson

Wow Thanks for the article.
Regards all
Rich Johnson

www.RichardSJohnson.net

"Those who enjoy freedom must endeavor to preserve it."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"
Thomas Jefferson

They have bought four, 101 and 107 are on their way with two more to follow.

See press release:
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=63584,filename=DSNGRR.WPY_Diesel_Engine_Acquisition.Press_Release.pdf

Ken Martin

On Apr 19, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Richard Johnson <killroy321@...> wrote:

Wait, the D&S bought WP&Y diesels?
I didnt hear that...
How many and which ones?
Regards from Coronaland all.
Rich Johnson

Ken Martin

[...]

We’re all waiting for the D&S to settle on a scheme and publish it.  They did say it wasn’t going to be a Rio Grande scheme ... so no black with orange lettering I guess, or diesel bumblebees.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 1:10 PM Joe Schroeder <jjcklschroeder@...> wrote:
So what are the D&SNG ex-WP&Y Diesels going to look like?

Mike Conder

We’re all waiting for the D&S to settle on a scheme and publish it.  They did say it wasn’t going to be a Rio Grande scheme ... so no black with orange lettering I guess, or diesel bumblebees.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 1:10 PM Joe Schroeder <jjcklschroeder@...> wrote:
So what are the D&SNG ex-WP&Y Diesels going to look like?

Joe Schroeder

So what are the D&SNG ex-WP&Y Diesels going to look like?

Mark Kasprowicz

You know John you could be right. It's been a while since I had mine apart completely, the only 'recent' work was to swap out the old LC decoders and add Econamis and stay alives. Together they make a powerful unit and I use them double headed to push and pull track cleaning kit around. (but sometimes I just run them together because i think they look good!)
Mark K

Richard

Ric, I too have 2 of them and the noise on mine was from the drive shafts, after replacing them with rubber tubing that quieted them down quite a bit.
Richard in Tehachapi

Richard Cantrell

richardc8825@...

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 07:19:20 PM PDT, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

I too have one, it is a really noisy unit! I bought a decoder for it but the gear noise drowned out the diesel sound.
Also had to spend about thirty hours replacing both of the end beams and details that were broken off  . Loco runs great now just noisy. Any one else have this problem.
I’ve pretty much been the only one to run since new!
I painted it black, was going to letter it for the EBT!
Still will just need to cleanup the body and then repaint and letter!
Would like to have a pair of the GE units. Maybe some day!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Apr 13, 2020, at 8:14 PM, Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...> wrote:

I, too, have a pair of unpainted DL-535s.  Like the two in the photo painted Rio Grande, I bought mine with the same idea: to make them what-might-have-been Rio Grande. I also have a pair of "shovelnose" GE 90s that I have planned to paint with the aspen gold four stripe scheme and pull modern dome passenger cars, again what-might-have-been.

I rode the White Pass from Whitehorse to Skagway in 1973.  These locos brought back some memories.  73, their 2-8-2 was sitting on display out in the weather in front of Lake Bennett.  Glad to see it was restored and operating.  And I have seen one of the three full width cab versions of the DL-535 on the Plaster City RR in way southern California.

I wonder how many of them were sold to Rio Grande fans who had the same idea.

Also, when in Peru, I rode behind the 3' gauge DL-535s on the railroad to Machu Pichu and saw some of the shovel noses in Argentina on their meter gauge, maybe also in Equador on their 3'-6" gauge.  I suspect there is a market for these models south of the Equator.

Ric Case

[...]

lloyd lehrer

TED, ITS the contiguous United States. Alaska is in the continental US.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020, 7:14 AM TED via groups.io <MECU18B=AOL.COM@groups.io> wrote:
Well with 4 of them going to the Durango and Silverton they just may get their wish. Although the D&S is saying they wont be painted in Rio Grande paint. Hey who knows, with the DL535 coming to the continental US someone might do them in HO.
Ted

--
lloyd lehrer

TED

Well with 4 of them going to the Durango and Silverton they just may get their wish. Although the D&S is saying they wont be painted in Rio Grande paint. Hey who knows, with the DL535 coming to the continental US someone might do them in HO.
Ted

Jim Spencer

[...]

Update on the D&S ...

Keep Mark K's photos, may become real.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 12:58 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
Actually Mark, I believe that the Iron Horse DL535E's center axle and gear must be in the truck in order to power the outer axle. Its a rather busy design, with three idlers between each axle gear, and one of the idlers between the inner axles powered from the worm gear. There is appreciable lost motion between the outer axle and the one most directly driven.

John Stutz

On April 13, 2020 at 1:15 PM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

I'd agree with that. The lucky part is that they put the axles and gears back in. Sort of reminds me of when we were still restoring D&RGW 315 in Santa Rita Park. Sometime early in its retirement, someone had removed all the boiler plugs and then thought to throw them in the firebox. Saved the boiler.

Mark K