Mike Conder

Thanks for the clarification.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019, 5:27 AM Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
I used styrene.

Dusty Burman

Dusty

I've made some improvement by allowing the shank to pivot slightly. I douched the 705 with Neo Lube also.

After watching 705s couple with 714s a bunch of reps I wonder if moving the/a pivot point closer to the coupler is the geometry needed to get more consistent results.

In the past I've cut down brass rectangular tubing to accept N scale coupler boxes for engine pilots. This plow opening is too small for that.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

John Stutz

Dusty

It may be possible to add coupler centering, depending on the internal size and the length of your extension tube.

If you cut the shank of the coupler off square, and add a spring loaded block behind the coupler, this will tend to hold the coupler straight. The block needs to be able to move freely along the tube, and be long enough that it does not twist and jam when the coupler's shank's corner pushes the block back. Centering force is roughly the product of the spring preload and the width of the square face of the coupler shank, and centering may require a fairly stiff spring, possibly an old style truck spring. or consider building up the shank width. Kadee makes a dozen sizes of small light coil springs for their various couplers, and one of these might be suitable. If the block is big enough, put the spring in a slot or drilled hole in the block to save length.

Just a suggestion, as I have not tried this.

John Stutz

On December 14, 2019 at 5:58 PM Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:

My operation scheme is to run large K class engines out of staging and then swap power to K27s, Cs and Ts. Switching with large power will be minimal but potentially necessary. So functional pilot couplers are a requirement. I just acquired the last large K I required. But it has this neat plow....

I made a piece of rectangular 'tubing' using 2 - .080 channels. I cemented strip into one end to provide a solid spot to drill a mounting screw hole. I ACCed the trimmed down 705 shank into the other end of the tubing. Result is a bit low but functional. The problem is coupling to a 714. The screw prevents the shank from pivoting so coupling first bump is intermittent. Me thinks adding shims to each side of the tubing to limit travel and leaving the screw loose to allow slight travel might offer a solution. This highly visible situation is what I envisioned using 705s for.

No way in hell can a 714 be mounted in a close to prototype location without hogging out a major opening.

What has anyone else done?

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Ed Tibbetts

I mounted 705’s on the pilots of my 6 brass HOn3 loco’s. I took the couplers out of the Kadee draft gear boxes, nipped off the back of the coupler, and drilled a .020 hole in the shank. Some of the engines had scale coupler pockets that I could insert the coupler and drop a pin in to secure it. Others I installed a short piece of K&S square tubing with a hole in it and pinned the coupler. All my tenders have 714’s, and I run DeadRail, so short circuits are not an issue. Coupler alignment is done with a pick, so sorta prototypical.

Dusty

I used styrene.

Dusty Burman

Mike Conder