Topics

Blackstone C19 tender modification question

LenTRaley

Lloyd:

I have checked out that one and it certainly looks good and at a very fair price. I was wondering if Tony had
another source. I'm going to order a couple of the Western Rails units.

Merry Christmas and be well,

Len

lloyd lehrer

Len, I bought the water tender version of the western rails tenders and the quality is superb.
lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 7:49 AM LenTRaley via Groups.Io <lentraley=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Tony:

What did you use for the oil tender shells on your CB&Q #536 and the C&NWR #64?
Great looking models.

Thanks and be well,

Len Raley

--
lloyd lehrer

LenTRaley

Tony:

What did you use for the oil tender shells on your CB&Q #536 and the C&NWR #64?
Great looking models.

Thanks and be well,

Len Raley

Robert Bell

Tony, what did you use for the tender body?  It looks great!

Rob Bell

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 3:06 AM, tonyk537 via Groups.Io
<Tonyk375@...> wrote:
You can get a somewhat lower profile shell with the stock electronics.  These two oil bunkers are al low as you can get over everything.
_._,_._,_

Mark Kasprowicz

George,

I do not see why not. Provided there is enough clearance for the underside of the circuit board not to foul any metal parts then something like a sugar cube speaker would allow you a few precious millimetres. In fact if the speaker was placed in the coal load pointing up rather than down then the saving could be substantial.
Now if this was a BS K-27 I'd be saying chuck the old board out and fit a TSU2! But the C-19 sound was a big improvement on previous projects as Sound traxx were working with fresh recordings.

Mark K

Jeff Young

Fantastic weathering on #64!

Bill Miller

Western Rails makes a 3-D printed replacement tender shell that Looks more eastern Narrow Gauge that fits over the tender electronics.    https://western-rails.com/

 Bill Miller

I'm new to the list so I hope my question has not been already worked over.  I love my Blackstone C19's.  I use them on my Tuscarora Valley RR, and central PA n.g. pike.  My one complaint is that the stock Blackstone tender is a typical D&RGW higher side tender with an air tank.  Eastern 2-8-0's of this vintage often had smaller lower-sided tenders - which is what I'd like to do to my model.  BUT the decoder board is mounted relatively high, necessitating the use of a high-side tender.  This allows for space underneath for the stock speaker frame.

Here's my question: what do you all think of removing the decoder board, removing the existing speaker frame and speaker, replacing it with a lower profile speaker, then cutting down the four posts holding up the decoder board, and re-attaching the decoder board?  This would allow me to use a lower profile tender shell.

Your thoughts?

George Pierson

tonyk537