Topics

NGSLG disk of magazine issues

Mike Van Hove

I agree, it may be a great help to us non-computer-heads.

Mike Van Hove

On Oct 14, 2019, at 12:17 AM, asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:

Keep it online, as I would like to see the replies.  We could all learn  something from the discussion

Al.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/14/19 4:04 AM (GMT+00:00)
Subject: Re: [HOn3] NGSLG disk of magazine issues

There is a few ways to do so.  Read these and any linked articles.

https://tidbits.com/2018/06/12/macos-10-14-mojave-will-be-the-last-to-support-32-bit-apps/

https://tidbits.com/2019/09/18/moving-to-catalina-keep-your-32-bit-mac-apps-running-with-parallels/

https://tidbits.com/2019/10/07/macos-10-15-catalina-ships-upgrade-with-caution/

For more lets take this offline unless the moderators say its ok.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@...

> Question from a dummy: how do I determine whether my program/file is 32 bit or 64 bit?
>
> Curtis Brookshire, Pine Level NC

asandrini

Keep it online, as I would like to see the replies.  We could all learn  something from the discussion

Al.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/14/19 4:04 AM (GMT+00:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io

There is a few ways to do so.  Read these and any linked articles.

https://tidbits.com/2018/06/12/macos-10-14-mojave-will-be-the-last-to-support-32-bit-apps/

https://tidbits.com/2019/09/18/moving-to-catalina-keep-your-32-bit-mac-apps-running-with-parallels/

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
group_list@...

> Question from a dummy: how do I determine whether my program/file is 32 bit or 64 bit?
>
> Curtis Brookshire, Pine Level NC

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

There is a few ways to do so. Read these and any linked articles.

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
@dapenguin

Question from a dummy: how do I determine whether my program/file is 32 bit or 64 bit?

Curtis Brookshire, Pine Level NC

Climax@...

second that
Dave

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Oct 13, 2019 9:47 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io

Frankly, I never bought the DVD, because it really pissed me off that the DVD totally ruined the value of my complete collection of The NG&SL G, back to issue #1.

And, as Forrest Gump said, “That’s all I have to say about that.”

Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO

On Oct 13, 2019, at 1:28 PM, Talmadge C 'TC' Carr <group_list@...> wrote:

While we may not like it or agree Catalina does not support 32 bit apps.  Period.  It is not a bug but rather by design.  They have been telling us about this for 3+ years.
Bob Hayden will not be doing an upgrade.  The software developer might but they would have to be paid.  They are in Canada and did help me once with an install issue they knew about.
I have not tried Wine as there was no need to.  Wine Bottler is still 32 bit but being upgraded.  I will post a fix when there is one.
You can also try Parallels but it cost.  You can use it to install a previous version of MacOS and run your old programs.  In congruent mode you don't even see the virtual OS.
I am NOT going to upgrade till WB is updated as I require too much OLD wintel stuff:)  I may break down and upgrade my Parallels.  More later.
--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

Mike Van Hove

Frankly, I never bought the DVD, because it really pissed me off that the DVD totally ruined the value of my complete collection of The NG&SL G, back to issue #1.

And, as Forrest Gump said, “That’s all I have to say about that.”

Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO

On Oct 13, 2019, at 1:28 PM, Talmadge C 'TC' Carr <group_list@...> wrote:

While we may not like it or agree Catalina does not support 32 bit apps.  Period.  It is not a bug but rather by design.  They have been telling us about this for 3+ years.
Bob Hayden will not be doing an upgrade.  The software developer might but they would have to be paid.  They are in Canada and did help me once with an install issue they knew about.
I have not tried Wine as there was no need to.  Wine Bottler is still 32 bit but being upgraded.  I will post a fix when there is one.
You can also try Parallels but it cost.  You can use it to install a previous version of MacOS and run your old programs.  In congruent mode you don't even see the virtual OS.
I am NOT going to upgrade till WB is updated as I require too much OLD wintel stuff:)  I may break down and upgrade my Parallels.  More later.
--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

Curtis Brookshire

in concurrence with Mr. Carr, I received an email from a friend who posts photos to his website telling us that Catalina only supports 64 bit programs. So if you're on Apple, beware of upgrading until you figure out if it's not going to lock you out.

Question from a dummy: how do I determine whether my program/file is 32 bit or 64 bit?

Curtis Brookshire, Pine Level NC

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

--
Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
group_list@...

Dale Buxton

Ditto! 

While Micro Soft has had this problem too. Apple Operating Systems seem to be rife with these kinds of bugs. The last major "Up-Grade"  to the Apple OS turned off all my links and contacts in Google Mail. It then migrated this from my laptop via the "Apple Cloud" to my iPhone where it completely truned off and locked me out of Google anything altogether! I had to re-install Google Mail on my laptop and iPhone to get them back. Fortunately I had a PC running Google Mail too. So everything was in somebodies "Cloud" and I lost zero contacts and information. Had I not been on both platforms I think I would have been screwed!
I now routinely wait as much as six months to upgrade my OS on my iPhone. EVERY iPhone OS upgrade has had bugs in it! It's like Chris says, these upgrades are not totally driven by implyed or expressed user need. They are driven by quarterly financial greed! I'm sure ( if I understand the current NET advertising models correctly) that every time there is a release bug, the triffic to the Apple web site increases and advertising revenues jump up. 
This constant new era rush to release a new OS is just ridicules and counter productive.

Dale Buxton

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 11:16 AM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
People wonder why I always drag my feet upgrading any software. THIS sh*t is why. I rely on my software to turn around our products on tight deadlines, and monkeying around with software that got released too soon because they had to met some quarterly stock deadline, just doesn’t work for me.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

On Oct 13, 2019, at 12:27 AM, Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

It is not alone. Catalina has a number of bugs which prevent it from working with apps which were quite happy with the previous OS. The advice by many software firms is don't upgrade until the matter is sorted by Apple.

Mark K

claneon30

People wonder why I always drag my feet upgrading any software. THIS sh*t is why. I rely on my software to turn around our products on tight deadlines, and monkeying around with software that got released too soon because they had to met some quarterly stock deadline, just doesn’t work for me.

On Oct 13, 2019, at 12:27 AM, Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

It is not alone. Catalina has a number of bugs which prevent it from working with apps which were quite happy with the previous OS. The advice by many software firms is don't upgrade until the matter is sorted by Apple.

Mark K

Russ Norris

Good news!  I recently upgraded to Windows 10.  I'll have to sit down and peruse the disk.  Haven't played with it for a while.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019, 12:07 AM Alan Kilby <alankilby@...> wrote:
Mine works with windows 10

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Mark Kasprowicz

Mark K

Alan Kilby

Mine works with windows 10

Bill Lugg

I don't know if this works on a Mac, but I'm a Linux user and I just used Wine (https://www.winehq.org/) to successfully install the Model Railroader digital collection on my machine.  It puts an launcher on my desktop and when I click it, it starts a Windows 7 API with the MR user interface running inside it.  Wine won't work for everything, but it worked well in this case.

I thought since the Mac OS is based on BSD Linux, a variant of GNU Linux, There might be another Mac-centric emulator that would solve your problem.  Wine won't do it because it's focused on Windows apps...unless the NGSLG DVD support both Windows and Mac (I haven't bought mine yet).

It might be worth looking into.

HTH
Bill Lugg

On 10/12/19 11:07 AM, Traintalk via Groups.Io wrote:
If you are on a Mac and have the NGSLG disk of magazine issues, the latest version of Mac OS 10.15 Catalina breaks it. I doubt that White River will provide an update.
Bill.

claneon30

Please spread the word on this. The DVD Gazette collection has never been part of White River. It is owned and sold by Bob Hayden. I’d suggest contacting him about the needed update.

Traintalk

If you are on a Mac and have the NGSLG disk of magazine issues, the latest version of Mac OS 10.15 Catalina breaks it. I doubt that White River will provide an update.
Bill.