The roof

Steve Hatch

Edited

Today we had a get together.  A great time talking with old friends at the 'cafe'
Love chatting with other model railroaders..
   After everyone left, I still got a lot of work done on the addition.
I nailed nail off all the roof sheets from one end to the other
went to town and brought home roofing.  I manages to get most off the felt paper under-layment
down on the roof. Tomorrow it will get shingles all over.
Here's the progress till it was to dark to work on a roof.

Pic:  http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof2.jpg

  Hey Bill I still got the rioof nailed off and almost all the felt down.   I enjoyed the get together today
I think Jan liked it too.  Thanks for the suggestions about the main line in the new room.
Steve Hatch
Dewey Arizona

Mike Van Hove

Good progress.
Thanks for sharing.

Mike Van Hove

On Aug 9, 2019, at 9:38 PM, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

 Today we had a get together.  A great time talking with old friends at the 'cafe'
Love chatting with other model railroaders..
   After everyone left, I still got a lot of work done on the addion.
I nailed nail off all the roof sheets from one end to the other
went to town and brought home roofing.  I manages to get most off the felt paper underlayment
down on the roof. Tomorrow it will get shingles all over.
Here's the progress till it was to dark work on a roof.

Pic:  http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof2.jpg

Steve Hatch
Dewey Arizona

RG Teeter

Steve, question. Do you have enough pitch for shingles?

Bob

On 9 Aug 2019, at 21:38, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Today we had a get together.  A great time talking with old friends at the 'cafe'
Love chatting with other model railroaders..
   After everyone left, I still got a lot of work done on the addition.
I nailed nail off all the roof sheets from one end to the other
went to town and brought home roofing.  I manages to get most off the felt paper under-layment
down on the roof. Tomorrow it will get shingles all over.
Here's the progress till it was to dark to work on a roof.

Steve Hatch

 Technically No. But if you make a water proof layer in the underlying felt, then it
doesn't matter since the roof will shed the water  because of the slope it does have.
 Just like a flat roof has to be asphalt toe be sealed.  I make a sealed subroof and then
the only job of the shingles is to ward off the harsh rays of the sun.  Just like the gravel on a tar roof.
-Steve

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 10:56 PM, RG Teeter wrote:
Steve, question. Do you have enough pitch for shingles?

Bob

Steve Hatch

Shingles all day today.  Probably be two or three more days of nailing three tab shingles.

Pic:  http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof3.jpg

The battle is getting those bundles up on the roof.
-Steve Hatch

John G Massura

the link says roof3.jpg but the link is to pic 2 and the felt paper, not the shingles…

On Aug 10, 2019, at 21:11, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

Shingles all day today.  Probably be two or three more days of nailing three tab shingles.

Pic:  http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof3.jpg

The battle is getting those bundles up on the roof.
-Steve Hatch

Bill Lugg

I don't suppose the bucket on the tractor reaches up to the roof level?  if it does, you could put several bundles in the bucket at ground level, lift them up to roof level and slide them onto the roof.

Just a thought.
Bill Lugg

Pic: http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof3.jpg <http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof2.jpg>

The battle is getting those bundles up on the roof.
-Steve Hatch

Steve Hatch

Steve Hatch

  The bucket doesn't reach high enough.  That was the first thing I tried.
I just have to separate the bundles and carry a few at a time up the ladder.
Not efficient but it will get done.  at 78 I just don't have the strength.
-Steve

Steve Hatch

 Didn't quite finish the shingles but I'll get them tomorrow.
-Steve

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof4.jpg

Just the last corner to do.

Mike Conder

Looking good!

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 4:38 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
 Didn't quite finish the shingles but I'll get them tomorrow.
-Steve

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof4.jpg

Just the last corner to do.

Steve Hatch

 It is 5 minutes to 9:00 monday morning and the roof is done.
 Only took two hours this morning to finish the shingles and seal everything with goop
I think I'll take it easy today and re-cooperate a bit .
  Then it will be time for the siding
YEAH finally close in the building.
maybe tomorrow.  The siding will take a few days so no hurry here. Just a bit at a time.

-Steve Hatch (very satisfied camper)

Ric Case

Steve at 78 you are really doing well.

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Aug 12, 2019, at 12:05 PM, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

 It is 5 minutes to 9:00 monday morning and the roof is done.
 Only took two hours this morning to finish the shingles and seal everything with goop
I think I'll take it easy today and re-cooperate a bit .
  Then it will be time for the siding
YEAH finally close in the building.
maybe tomorrow.  The siding will take a few days so no hurry here. Just a bit at a time.

-Steve Hatch (very satisfied camper)

Steve Hatch

Here's the final on the roof. All done.

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof5.jpg

Now the siding.
-Steve Hatch

Russ Norris

Nice job, Steve.  I especially like the way the air blows through the sides.  Keeps it nice and cool on those warm summer days.  But what will you do in winter?

Russ

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 8:13 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
Here's the final on the roof. All done.

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof5.jpg

Now the siding.
-Steve Hatch

arfio@...

That’s when he gets out the rotary like the big boys do.

Allen Farnsworth

😂

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 8:45 PM <arfio@...> wrote:
That’s when he gets out the rotary like the big boys do.

Allen Farnsworth

On Aug 12, 2019, at 7:19 PM, Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:

Nice job, Steve.  I especially like the way the air blows through the sides.  Keeps it nice and cool on those warm summer days.  But what will you do in winter?

Russ

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 8:13 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
Here's the final on the roof. All done.

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/roof5.jpg