Topics

Back to the Good Scale!

lloyd lehrer

Tam valley units from deadrail can fit. There is also new bluetooth that was announced at nmra national that is very compact. Have not seen it yet. Just heard it came out. Have not seen any details yet.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019, 9:20 PM <alsands@...> wrote:
Is Airwire small enough yet fo HOn3?

Alan Perth Western Australia

--
lloyd lehrer

jczul36

Al, I spoke to Jim weekly, and I miss him too!
Jim would be very happy to hear you’re modeling in Hon3.
Regards,
jc

On Jul 17, 2019, at 4:31 PM, Alan Lautenslager <alan.lautenslager@...> wrote:

Ever since I retired from CVP Products and moved out of Dallas I have been floundering around as to what scale to spend my time in. I have everything from Z scale to G scale and they all that their pros and cons for me. In going thru some boxes the other day I came across one that made me choke up.
Jim Vail use to call me about every 3 weeks at CVP just to chat and give me hell like only Jim could! He keep bugging me about going into HOn3. I told him I no longer had a motive power but still had lots of rolling stock. The conversation for that day ended from a grunt from Jim. About a month later a box showed up at my house. Inside was an unpainted Westside Models C-25, a painted and re-motored PFM RGS #20 and a factory painted Westside Models C-16 #268 with back head detail and instrument motor ( All sound installed by Jim). He called a few days later and told me I had no excuse now not to be modeling in Hon3 and wished me a happy retirement. It was not too one that he was gone.
Having come across those locos sealed the decision for me. I will be starting on a small HOn3 layout in honor of Jim. Although the only times Jim and I got together were at the conventions we did spend a lot of time on the phone. Conversations that I will remember for a long time.
Damn I miss those calls.
Regards - Al ( CVP Products retired )

alsands@...

Is Airwire small enough yet fo HOn3?

Alan Perth Western Australia

bassb04011

AirWire 900 is the single greatest invention in model railroading and I’ll be using it for my On3 layout. I’ve run trains on my friend William Reed’s RR with it and was an absolute pleasure; almost life changing.
I’ll be going with the Easy DCC system for my small HOn3 layout so I’ll have similarities between the two RRs.
Brian

On Jul 17, 2019, at 8:58 PM, Alan Lautenslager <alan.lautenslager@...> wrote:

No - CVP is the company that put command control on the map when we introduced the CTC16 system in the pages of MR back in the mid 70s. We followed that up with the Railcommand system which was the first all digital system. Then in the late 90s we introduced the EasyDCC system. A few years before I retired I came up with the idea for the AirWire 900 system.

MV I believe was the company doing the curves lenses.

Climax@...

Duaaaaaa, yes you are right, its MV markers.  I should know I probably have a dozen or so installed on Shays and other locomotives.  I was a PFM SSII person with three units on last layout.  I got dragged into DCC while I was working for American Airlines at DFW.  I joined the Texas Western Model RR club and they had all Digitrax.  Not knowing a darn thing about it I got a Chief II set and started reading the books.  If it took a 3 day brake on the railroad I had to reread the book.  I was getting so frustrated with the Digitrax I was about to trash the whole kit and kaboodle  It was then that I went to the Hickory NC NNGC and took my Blackstone K-27, C-16, and concor Goose.  I had never seen them run.  I stopped at Blackstone and asked them to run them explaining my story to them.  They said put them on the track which I did and they handed me their NCE controller.  I just looked at it and said I don't know anything about this and they said see that roller, roll it.  Well son of a gun, my train moved, and made glorious sounds as well.  I liked it so much I purchased an NCE starter set right then and there.  After getting home I had changed the Digitrax out and replaced it with NCE in less than 15 minutes.  All my stuff worked, my Tortoise machines worked with the Switch 8.  I was sold.  The PFM's returned to the closet.  Now I have boosters, two NCE controllers, 6 plug in stations and 37 tortoise SMs all being run by the NCE equipment.  I wanted to run trains, not fiddle with a computer and NCE let me do it.  I have perhaps 300 Brass locomotives all in cases, and all I run now is Blackstone and the CC on the HOn3 and Bachmann Spectrum on the HO which is fine with me.
I do have to say that it was people like you that were the leaders that confused the crap out of people like me.  We were stuck in the DC mind set and got good at it.  Times change and so did the equipment.  I am going up to TN next week to install NCE stations on a buddies large layout as he only uses one station.  I think he will like it much better being able to follow his trains.  Thanks for all your innovative work........and patience with old farts like me. hahhahahaha

No - CVP is the company that put command control on the map when we introduced the CTC16 system in the pages of MR back in the mid 70s. We followed that up with the Railcommand system which was the first all digital system. Then in the late 90s we introduced the EasyDCC system. A few years before I retired I came up with the idea for the AirWire 900 system.

MV I believe was the company doing the curves lenses.

Alan Lautenslager

No - CVP is the company that put command control on the map when we introduced the CTC16 system in the pages of MR back in the mid 70s. We followed that up with the Railcommand system which was the first all digital system. Then in the late 90s we introduced the EasyDCC system. A few years before I retired I came up with the idea for the AirWire 900 system.

MV I believe was the company doing the curves lenses.

Climax@...

CVP was that the small curved lenses?

[...]

Great story.  Friends are forever as memories last.

thats the kind of story that works for me.  I am sure you and me and whole bunch of others that were touched by Jim share your feelings.
lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 4:31 PM Alan Lautenslager <alan.lautenslager@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark Lewis

Alan:

It seems like the right move for you, and....Jim is probably thinking...."what took him so long".
Enjoy your HOn3 experience!

Mark Lewis
N.G. Modeling in N.C.

Alan Lautenslager