Topics

Relettering Blackstone Coach

Dusty

I'd like to reletter a Blackstone coach. I'm thinking about removing the lettering with a fiber glass eraser followed by some wet 800 grit. I wonder about about totally removing the paint from the body so that future cars will match color. Has anyone disassembled the coach to install lighting, perhaps? Has anyone successfully removed the paint?

Thanks,
Dusty Burman

Jeff Young

I’ve taken the roof off to weather the insides and install passengers.  I also touched up the roof paint after removing the electrical conduit, but I haven’t done anything to the green.

If I remember the roof is held on with clips but you can’t get to them — you just have to gently prise it off and then snap it back on afterwards.

Then again, my wife says my memory is crap, so take that with a grain of salt….

Cheers,
Jeff.

On 11 Jan 2019, at 23:12, Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

I'd like to reletter a Blackstone coach. I'm thinking about removing the lettering with a fiber glass eraser followed by some wet 800 grit. I wonder about about totally removing the paint from the body so that future cars will match color. Has anyone disassembled the coach to install lighting, perhaps? Has anyone successfully removed the paint?

Thanks,
Dusty Burman

Art D3

Dusty I posted a formula to match Blackstone coach green several months back. Look in the messages tab for Matching BS Coach Green or follow the link below. Since this post I have used the formula on a LaBelle parlor car and am satisfied that even on a wood car it's a good match to Blackstone's color.

https://groups.io/g/HOn3/topic/matching_bs_coach_green/16225901?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,240,16225901

--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Mike Conder

Hmm ... makes me wonder if anybody has pinned down a similar Tamiya formula for the Blackstone red passenger cars?   A friend in England found a bottle of solvent-based red that's a dead ringer, but I've lost it and don't remember the name (maybe Railmatch LM Lake or LM Red?)

Mike Conder

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM Art D3 <apdutra3@...> wrote:
Dusty I posted a formula to match Blackstone coach green several months back. Look in the messages tab for Matching BS Coach Green or follow the link below. Since this post I have used the formula on a LaBelle parlor car and am satisfied that even on a wood car it's a good match to Blackstone's color.

https://groups.io/g/HOn3/topic/matching_bs_coach_green/16225901?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,240,16225901

--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

tonyk537

Someone posted it for a Vallejo color on the old board.  I'm looking for it.

Dusty

Think the Vallejo color is 71-017 Russion green?

tonyk537

The red was posted also but I can't find it.

Mike Conder

I've tried the Vallejo Red Leather bUT it's a bit off.  I'm not good with mixing paints so was hoping someone had already done the footwork on this.

If not, time to practice mixing!

Mike Conder

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019, 10:51 PM tonyk537 via Groups.Io <Tonyk375=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
The red was posted also but I can't find it.

tonyk537

Found it.  Sorry I don't remember who posted it but they said it was the best color.

Vallejo Burnt Cadmium RAL 8012  In their Model color line.

Mark Kasprowicz

Mike,

It's Railmatch LMS Crimson Lake.

A Friend in England.