Topics

Shapeways Prep Question

Dusty

My 'Gunnison' parlour car arrived. Looks pretty good so far. But until I remove the waxy stuff the siding is hard to evaluate.

I searched the internet for prepping Shapeways prints for painting and simultaneously reached a state of confusion and amusement. Conflicting opinions abound. Many suggestions for removing the wax. My concern with prepping is that there are numerous reports of flaking under the paint.

Anyone have some input or experience?

Dusty Burman

Dale Buxton

Shapeways say to use “Simple Green” to clean up the “Frosted Ultra Detail Resin” . That being said it works pretty good. However, You need to give this resin a final rinse in “Isopropyl Alcohol”. Let me add an observation to this. This support wax or the resin itself has a strange quirk. If the wax is not cleaned off as soone as the model arrives. There is a powdery crystaline substance that starts to develope on the model surface. The only to parent this that I have found is to put a primer coat on the model that seals it.

Dale Buxton

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 14:46 Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:
My 'Gunnison' parlour car arrived. Looks pretty good so far. But until I remove the waxy stuff the siding is hard to evaluate.

I searched the internet for prepping Shapeways prints for painting and simultaneously reached a state of confusion and amusement. Conflicting opinions abound. Many suggestions for removing the wax. My concern with prepping is that there are numerous reports of flaking under the paint.

Anyone have some input or experience?

Dusty Burman

Lee Gustafson

Dusty,

Have you tried a product called "Simple Green"? I believe it is recommended by Shapeways to remove the waxy substance prior to priming and painting.

Lee Gustafson