Code 70 to 55 Transitions

Dusty

Yesterdays project. Remove 1/8" 70 web and head with jewelers saw and rail cutters. File 70 base to solder 55 on top of 70 base at correct height (Mark II Eyeball Methode). A bit of filing with #4 and finish with 400 sanding block.

Dusty Burman

Robert Bell

I've been doing some code 70 to code 55 transitions also.  I take a short length of code 70 rail, slip a code 70 rail joiner 1/2 way on and flatten the other half with a pair of flat jaw pliers.  Remove the joiner and install on track on layout.  Then simply solder the code 55 rail on top of the flattened joiner, and smooth the railheads as needed.  Of course you do have to make sure the rails are properly alligned.  Actually, this goes really quick.

Rob Bell
Waynesville, NC

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Dusty
<dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Yesterdays project. Remove 1/8" 70 web and head with jewelers saw and rail cutters. File 70 base to solder 55 on top of 70 base at correct height (Mark II Eyeball Methode). A bit of filing with #4 and finish with 400 sanding block.

Dusty Burman

asandrini

I have added code 70 sidings rail to my code 83 mainline.  Just for giggles. I wondered what would happen if I slipped my 70 rail into the 83 joiner. Exactly, wiggle room up, down and side to side. I slipped a piece of strip wood under the 70 rail to push it up against the top of the joiner, and the rails were flush. I as aligned the inside of the rails and flowed solder into the joiner and it worked perfectly.

Previously, I did the cutting away of the larger rail and soldered the smaller rail on top of the remaining flange.

Big Al from Cal

<dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Yesterdays project. Remove 1/8" 70 web and head with jewelers saw and rail cutters. File 70 base to solder 55 on top of 70 base at correct height (Mark II Eyeball Methode). A bit of filing with #4 and finish with 400 sanding block.

Dusty Burman

Climax@...

Great idea

<dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Yesterdays project. Remove 1/8" 70 web and head with jewelers saw and rail cutters. File 70 base to solder 55 on top of 70 base at correct height (Mark II Eyeball Methode). A bit of filing with #4 and finish with 400 sanding block.

Dusty Burman

Alan Kilby

Micro engineering sell transition rail joiners.I have code 100,83, and 70 on my layout and use them.
Alan

<dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Yesterdays project. Remove 1/8" 70 web and head with jewelers saw and rail cutters. File 70 base to solder 55 on top of 70 base at correct height (Mark II Eyeball Methode). A bit of filing with #4 and finish with 400 sanding block.

Dusty Burman

asandrini

Yes, but they dont fit Atlas or Shinohara track....and they are insulated (which only requires a pair if feeders).

Al

<dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Yesterdays project. Remove 1/8" 70 web and head with jewelers saw and rail cutters. File 70 base to solder 55 on top of 70 base at correct height (Mark II Eyeball Methode). A bit of filing with #4 and finish with 400 sanding block.

Dusty Burman

Alan Kilby

I don't know when they stopped making metal transition joiners.I have several for different codes of these in my tracklaying tool box.They can be very frustrating getting them to fit rails.I use mostly microengineering rail but have some rail I took from atlas flextrack.I picked some up on e-bay a few months back.
Alsn

<dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Yesterdays project. Remove 1/8" 70 web and head with jewelers saw and rail cutters. File 70 base to solder 55 on top of 70 base at correct height (Mark II Eyeball Methode). A bit of filing with #4 and finish with 400 sanding block.

Dusty Burman

Bill Nelson

On Nov 14, 2018, at 10:11 AM, Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Yesterdays project. Remove 1/8" 70 web and head with jewelers saw and rail cutters. File 70 base to solder 55 on top of 70 base at correct height (Mark II Eyeball Methode). A bit of filing with #4 and finish with 400 sanding block.

Dusty Burman

<15422115674656496712605267068716.jpg>
_._,_._,_

thats  what  I  have  been  doing  for  years.   if  the  rail  heads  are  not  flush,  you  can  usually  file  on  the  crushed rail  joiner  to  bring  them flush  without  having  to  mess  up the  rail  head.