gunnison snow plow

jhoff02@...

I am building the hon3 Gunnison snow plow. I believe that it  was filled with rocks to add extra weight is that true. jim

M2fq@...

Jim

as the designer manufacturer - I believe there is info and possibly a photo that shows that.

Gary Kohler
330-719-0264
http://www.portlandlocomotiveworks.com/

claneon30

I can confirm that photo exists and was published. But I haven’t seen it in awhile and I can’t remember where I saw it.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

jhoff02@...

Gary looked at your web site and found picture of completed sn3 model but no picture of inside so can not tell it it had rocks . Jim

Mark Kasprowicz

Not sure about the Gunnison slow plough but...

We at the DRHS bought the Gunnison Flanger OT some time ago  and I was tasked with the job of 'opening 'er up'. We were expecting piles of scrap iron but what showed after I lifted the deck was a uniform row of closely fiting cast iron blocks, each weighing 100 pounds or so. Not sure how many other than they were double decked, but the car weighs 28,000 pounds so I would guess 250??

Would you be able tob get enough weight into the plough using random bits of rocks?

Mark K

bob.meckley@...

From Sloan's "a Century +Ten of D&RGW Narrow Gauge Freight Cars", Chapter 9," Bob Richardson described the train as follows:the car was loaded with 6" to 1' rocks, apparently gathered from a rock cut, to within 1' of the top. The car looked like it was loaded to is 25 ton capacity. The train he described ran west of Gunnison. Neat description of the action.

John Stutz

Jim

Bob has confirmed that the snowplow/gondola conversion was loaded with rock to near its weight capacity. Mark reports that the D&RGW OT flanger body was loaded with cast iron blocks. Both conform to similar SG practice, in that weighting is needed to keep such snowplows and flangers on the track, in their frequent encounters with asymmetric snow deposits and consequent side loads.

Flanger OT's cast iron probably represents use of maximum density weights in the very limited volume of the D&RGW style flanger bodies. Gondola and hopper snowplow conversions usually were loaded with rock, and in that case it was important to ensure the load did not shift on impact with deep snow banks. The large rock that Bob Richardson described was doubtless chosen for this reason.

Note that RR snowplow's lead trucks are subject to very heavy loads when plowing, and were often more heavily built, with larger bearings, than the rear trucks. I do not know if this was the case with the Gunnison snowplow, but you might want to check your sources.

John Stutz

On 10/29/2018 05:14 AM, jhoff02@... wrote:
I am building the hon3 Gunnison snow plow. I believe that it  was filled with rocks to add extra weight is that true. jim

jhoff02@...

Guys thanks for information on Gunnison snow plow. Gary it is a great kit hope you will do some more hon3 kits Jim

I was going to build the plow also.  I bought Woodland Scenics Talus, Item #V1283 to put in the gondola.  If you decide not to scratchbuild, look at the 3D printed model of the snowplow at:

https://western-rails.com

Bruce Dunlevy

The part no. is C1283.

I was going to build the plow also.  I bought Woodland Scenics Talus, Item #V1283 to put in the gondola.  If you decide not to scratchbuild, look at the 3D printed model of the snowplow at:

https://western-rails.com

Bruce Dunlevy

tonyk537

A couple of pictures of OJ being rebuilt by the Friends back in 1999.  You can see the blocks stacked 2 wide and a couple on there side in front that illustrates size somewhat.  I know they were heavy.  I helped the crew move them off on two of the flangers that they rebuilt.  Included a before and after also.  Sorry, don't know who took the after picture.

Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...>

I've read all the posts on this subject line. Very interesting stuff by the way. But, found no mention of this product over at Narrow Gauge Colorado.

So there is an HOn3 kit for this plow on the market.

Dale Buxton

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 6:04 PM tonyk537 via Groups.Io <Tonyk375=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
A couple of pictures of OJ being rebuilt by the Friends back in 1999.  You can see the blocks stacked 2 wide and a couple on there side in front that illustrates size somewhat.  I know they were heavy.  I helped the crew move them off on two of the flangers that they rebuilt.  Included a before and after also.  Sorry, don't know who took the after picture.

Dale,

I do not know if there is a kit for this snowplow.  Unless it is new, I have never seen it.  What I have seen is a Shapeways model of it that is available.  See:

https://western-rails.com/product/drgw-mgpr-hon3/

You supply brake rigging, brake wheel, grab irons, couplers, paint, and decals.  Not mentioned is the headlight mounted to the center wood structure.  Price is $70.

Bruce Dunlevy

I've read all the posts on this subject line. Very interesting stuff by the way. But, found no mention of this product over at Narrow Gauge Colorado.

So there is an HOn3 kit for this plow on the market.

Dale Buxton

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 6:04 PM tonyk537 via Groups.Io <Tonyk375=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

A couple of pictures of OJ being rebuilt by the Friends back in 1999.  You can see the blocks stacked 2 wide and a couple on there side in front that illustrates size somewhat.  I know they were heavy.  I helped the crew move them off on two of the flangers that they rebuilt.  Included a before and after also.  Sorry, don't know who took the after picture.

Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...>

Well, If you check the link I provided, THERE IS a complete laser cut wood and urethane resin kit of this plow on the market at this very moment. $66.97.
Dale Buxton

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:43 PM Bruce Dunlevy <bdunlevy@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Lewis

Dale:

According to the link you provided,  the plow kit is available for "pre-order".

Mark Lewis

M2fq@...

All

the plow kit from Narrow Gauge Colorado is available now

Gary Kohler
m2fq@...
330-719-0264