3D Printer File for 20" Curve Aid

Brian Jansky

Hi I was wondering if anyone might have a 3D printer file for printing curve aids for a 20" curve for HOn3 track? (a plastic piece that you can put between the rails of flex track and ran through your curve to ensure a smooth curve at the desired radius.) I am wondering if someone might of already drawn one up and would be willing to share it.

Thanks,
Brian

Ric Case

Ribbon rail offers 18inch through at least 36 inch

On Oct 14, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Brian Jansky <brianj844@...> wrote:

Hi I was wondering if anyone might have a 3D printer file for printing curve aids for a 20" curve for HOn3 track? (a plastic piece that you can put between the rails of flex track and ran through your curve to ensure a smooth curve at the desired radius.) I am wondering if someone might of already drawn one up and would be willing to share it.

Thanks,
Brian

Mike Conder

FastTracks has laser cut sweeps that are non-conductive too, in all scales and in 1" radius increments.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 9:13 AM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
Ribbon rail offers 18inch through at least 36 inch

On Oct 14, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Brian Jansky <brianj844@...> wrote:

Hi I was wondering if anyone might have a 3D printer file for printing curve aids for a 20" curve for HOn3 track? (a plastic piece that you can put between the rails of flex track and ran through your curve to ensure a smooth curve at the desired radius.) I am wondering if someone might of already drawn one up and would be willing to share it.

Thanks,
Brian

Robert Bell

The Ribbon Rail sweeps work beautifully and can be ordered from Walthers.  I have been using them on my layout and love them. They also have 10" long straight sweeps.  And they're NOT expensive.

Rob Bell
WP&YR, Hard Ridge Div.
Waynesville, NC

On Sunday, October 14, 2018 12:05 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

FastTracks has laser cut sweeps that are non-conductive too, in all scales and in 1" radius increments.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 9:13 AM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
Ribbon rail offers 18inch through at least 36 inch

On Oct 14, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Brian Jansky <brianj844@...> wrote:

Hi I was wondering if anyone might have a 3D printer file for printing curve aids for a 20" curve for HOn3 track? (a plastic piece that you can put between the rails of flex track and ran through your curve to ensure a smooth curve at the desired radius.) I am wondering if someone might of already drawn one up and would be willing to share it.

Thanks,
Brian

Mark Kasprowicz

Brian,

Make one! I made my sweeps from cardboard. I made a protractor out of a piece of wood, drilled a pivot at one end and marked the centre line at the other (I was using a different radius). Cut it out carefully. It doesn't need to sit between the tracks, just follow the centre line when you mark it and keep an eye on the 'fairness' of the curve,

That's how I set my curves.  I was a little less handy, ordering a set of clamps from Micro Mark to make my protractor from a piece of 1x3.  One clamp has a sharp point, the other holds a pencil.  It's probably one of my most helpful tools.

From: Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...>
Date: 10/15/18 9:17 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io

Brian,

Make one! I made my sweeps from cardboard. I made a protractor out of a piece of wood, drilled a pivot at one end and marked the centre line at the other (I was using a different radius). Cut it out carefully. It doesn't need to sit between the tracks, just follow the centre line when you mark it and keep an eye on the 'fairness' of the curve,

Mark K

Brian Jansky

Thanks for all of the replies! Yes, I have used various pieces of of wood / yard sticks to make protractors for center lines before but my goal is to avoid what Jim mentioned about one part of the curve dipping inside the minimum radius. It makes sense that someone already makes pieces for this. Thank yall for suggesting sweep sticks and ribbon rail.

Kent, I sent you a PM.

Thanks everyone,
Brian

Kent Hurley <nvrr49@...>

Here is a 3d printable STL file.  1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 curve.
--
Kent in KC
nvrr49.blogspot.com