NNGC

Craig Linn

howdy Folks.

Anyone attending the NNGC?  Any new products coming / or updates on late products (such as Blackstone K-36/K-28?

Thanks for the update.

Craig

Mark Lewis

Craig:

Regarding news from Blackstone, at the 2018 NNGC....I touched base with Ray Kaminski- owner of Crusader Rail Services- a large Blackstone dealer, if Blackstone had any news for dealers or the public and this was Ray's reply: "Mark- the only news we heard is that the next run of reefers is hopefully due by the end of the year. That’s it". No comments on the K28/36 project, re-issuing of out stock rolling stock or C19 or K27's or truck sets, or....nothing. Take it for what it's worth.....

Mark Lewis

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 7:03 PM, Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:
howdy Folks.

Anyone attending the NNGC?  Any new products coming / or updates on late products (such as Blackstone K-36/K-28?

Thanks for the update.

Craig

Dale Buxton

Didn't go so I don't know. But! Has anyone been to the new San Juan Models Co. web site and seen the announcement of the tall and fat domed Conoco tank cars in HOn3 and On3? I'm pumped about this.

Dale Buxton

Craig Linn

That’d be great Dale. I look forward to that. Perhaps we will start getting some more models now from San Juan too.

Very cool.

Craig

On Sep 7, 2018, at 8:42 PM, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

Didn't go so I don't know. But! Has anyone been to the new San Juan Models Co. web site and seen the announcement of the tall and fat domed Conoco tank cars in HOn3 and On3? I'm pumped about this.

Dale Buxton

Mark Kasprowicz

Dale are you sure about the HOn3 versions? When I looked at the site it promoted On3/ On30 and HO. In other words no 'n3'.

I hope I'm wrong.

Mark K
Durango CO.

Mark Lewis

Mark:

This photo from San Juan Model Co., clearly states RTR HOn3 tank cars will be coming.

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Dale are you sure about the HOn3 versions? When I looked at the site it promoted On3/ On30 and HO. In other words no 'n3'.

I hope I'm wrong.

Mark K
Durango CO.

Lee Gustafson

I’m at the show and can confirm they are going to do HOn3.

On Sep 8, 2018, at 8:46 AM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

Mark:

This photo from San Juan Model Co., clearly states RTR HOn3 tank cars will be coming.

<image.png>

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Dale are you sure about the HOn3 versions? When I looked at the site it promoted On3/ On30 and HO. In other words no 'n3'.

I hope I'm wrong.

Mark K
Durango CO.

Mark Kasprowicz

Good news  - I'm glad I was wrong. Lee, anything else HOn3 catch your eye?

That is EXCELLENT news, thanks all!

Mike Conder

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Good news  - I'm glad I was wrong. Lee, anything else HOn3 catch your eye?

Mark K

Jim Marlett

Re: the K-28/K-36, George at Soundtrack/Blackstone says they are still working out problems, but the project is NOT scrapped.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Sep 7, 2018, at 6:03 PM, Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:

howdy Folks.

Anyone attending the NNGC?  Any new products coming / or updates on late products (such as Blackstone K-36/K-28?

Thanks for the update.

Craig

Craig Linn

Thanks for the info Jim.

I guess it is good to hear it’s still active...it’s just frustrating that it has been 5 years since the announcement and we still don’t know when things are coming.

Craig

On Sep 8, 2018, at 9:39 PM, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

Re: the K-28/K-36, George at Soundtrack/Blackstone says they are still working out problems, but the project is NOT scrapped.

On Sep 7, 2018, at 6:03 PM, Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:

howdy Folks.

Anyone attending the NNGC?  Any new products coming / or updates on late products (such as Blackstone K-36/K-28?

Thanks for the update.

Craig

Dave Trimble

Craig,

We’ve heard the same, tired story from Blackstone since 2014; its become old. We need to see action, n to words, from Nancy and others.

I’m convinced that Blackstone is no longer interested in HOn3, given that the only “new” product they’ve come out with has been the reefer which, arguably, was designed to sell a decoder! (And they never. Produced the turnouts designed to go with their roadbed, either.)

It seems that their focus, and budget, is committed to support decoders.

I’m putting my efforts and dollars into converting brass engines and hoping for the availability of the Grandt Line, Precision Sclae, Micro Trains and other cars from new suppliers in the next few months.

Let’s hope suppliers recognize the market, created and now abandoned by Blackstone, is there for the taking by enterprising folks.

Dave Trimble

Mike Conder

I have talked with Blackstone people and they haven't given up on HOn3.  But things are rough with the manufacturing in China, maybe done of that you can see in the news today with trade issues.

And remember, in the model RR world, they are a small manufacturer of the models when compared to Bachmann, Horizon and many others who make standard gauge models.  So they are in the back of the line and low priority in manufacturing.

I'm sure there are other issues, but it's a rough world out there for this RTR HOn3 market.   Remember, only two other manufacturer had tried this and they stopped years ago.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 8:56 AM Dave Trimble <dtrimble@...> wrote:
[...]

Climax@...

Dave and others:
I have been a modeler since the early 1960's probably longer than the majority of our members have been alive.  Of course I started out in HO and then developed a curiosity about HOn3 and have ended up with several railroads, three of which had HO/HOn3 and dual.  The latest RR is actually two separate railroads, an HO version and an HOn3 version in which they run through the same scenery but are not connected in any way.  That being said, I have watched manufactures announce products ahead of time to see what the interest would be and if it didn't developed enough the project was dropped.  Remember that Blackstone and even Bachnann Spectrum material is made in China at Kader and is subject to international pressures, tariffs, and from start to delivery may take several years to complete.  We are an instant gratification bunch of people and want perfection or will bitch about something at length.  I, for one, try not to think so short sited.  We use to only have brass locomotives and had to either kit build or scratch build our cars.  I am VERY THANKFUL for Blackstone for bringing in the very accurate, sound equipped, lights equipped, and DCC equipped locomotives which has made HOn3 explode in interest.  But we sill have people bitching about a rivet out of place or this or that not being available.  You do realize of course how much it costs to manufacture a complex piece of equipment like a locomotive don't you?  Making of dies, sample runs, working out the bugs, packing, shipping, tariffs, and God only knows what else.  It's not a fine science but a journey to product being available.  Dealing with the Chinese is a completely different story due to the political and industrial differences between our countries.  Have you ever traveled out side the USA?  There is a complete different world of standards out there.  I have been to China and Japan and can honestly say they have a different set of values than we do.  I have heard rumors that the Parent company of Blackstone/Soundtraxx wanted to move their operations from China to some other more affordable location only to have some of their dies go missing or be destroyed.  A complete different mindset over there.  Blackstone/Soundtraxx is a business and must make a profit to pay the people that work there and to grow.  If they cannot do that then they cease to exist and we lost another source of model material.  Think about that while you bash them.  One cannot be selfish and short sited if you want things to progress.  I have nearly 500 pieces of brass, mostly geared and articulate in both HO and HOn3, but they languish is cases for display now.  In 1963 I purchased my very first brass locomotive, a PFM Ma&Pa 2-8-0 #23-26 for only $34.95 new at my local hobby shop.  Today used that same locomotive is in the $200 range used.  Brass locomotives actually priced themselves out of the general model railroaders budget for a hobby reaching up into the thousands of dollars for each one.  Personally own 3 I paid in excess of a grand each and feel fortunate to have them as their production run was limited to between 10 to 25 each.  The manufacture has to recoup their investment to stay in business.  It takes time to make a quality piece of equipment.  And lastly with our flicked group, its hard to stay in a reachable price range.  Modification of brass is fine and dandy but think about your additional investment into each one you do, the cost of the material you put into it, and the fact you are still operating a 20th century item which was manufactured with different quality control standards.  When you get done you still have the same locomotive you had before, but your investment just went up, which you will never get back out of it.  My view is that if I have to wait, I will, if the price gets to high I may not buy it, but that only causes more problems.  These must be paid for before they leave the Chinese factories, shipping must be paid for, the tariffs must be paid even before the first locomotive is sold.  Blackstone puts out a lot of money in hopes their investment pays off.  I will not bash them if something takes longer than at first advertised, I will be thankful when something they envisioned reaches the market and I get to enjoy it.  There is no finite answer and they are at the same problems that anyone is in when dealing with overseas manufacturers, time and investment.  Can we make the products here, of course we can, but can you afford it as the workers want a decent wage too.  Are you willing to pay 4 or 5 times the imported prices to have them built here?
I use to bitch a lot myself but someone once reminded me by saying, "I can't do anything about what you are bitching about, I don't want to hear it, and I could care less, so quit wasting my time."  I always remembered that and it was wasting my time and energy.  I turned it into building and now I have over 500 wood, or wood and metal cars built that I have enjoyed building, a railroad I am proud of and still working on, and since I am here on earth for such a short time, I enjoy every minute without stooping to bitching about something I nor anyone else has any control over.  Life is so much better that way.
Dave Barron,
MMR200, NMRA since 1974, NMRA SSR President starting in October.
Mason 32 degree, ATP Pilot with 94 aircraft flown. Veteran, 3 kids with Masters,
6 grand kids, and a wife with an EDD.  Me, I enjoy life while I can.

[...]

Well said, David!

Mike Conder

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM <Climax@...> wrote:
[...]

I agree to some of the points, but my point being communication is key to keeping your loyal base loyal. We have all waited 5 years for the same thing. But the information coming about how things are going is what is lacking.

 I’m not expecting dates...I’d just like to know their thoughts on what problems they are facing, how big of issues they are, and what is being done to mitigate.

On the comments of China...I’ve been to China and I deal with the Chinese every day for work.  I am aware of the challenges working with them in the current environments. In my situation I know that I have to answer to my customers what mitigation plans are being done when we run into problems with our Chinese counterparts. I have to help to solve the problems and get the product to my customer.  That is the name of the game. Keeping Happy Customers as Happy customers.

My 2 cents...

Craig

On Sep 9, 2018, at 10:46 AM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

[...]

Another question about Blackstone’s HOn3 support: unless I missed it, the Tsunami2 whistle sounds don’t include any whistles for the 470-series K’s.

The least they could do is that!

Dave Trimble

John Short

K-28’s ARE included!