Paul Sturtz

The six-motor "draft truck" was developed to carry the physically more compact GE_747 motor.  The standard GE-748 motor would not fit in 36-inch gauge locomotives  .Not only did this solve the traction motor problems but it relieved the truck centers and carbody from the stresses of pulling heavy trains.  U.S. Potash in Loving, NM had three of these 70t diesels, the only narrow gauge 70t built for a US road.
Paul Sturtz

Paul Sturtz

That's why I lettered it as a GE demonstrator or a unit leased from GE.  That way it fits on any narrow gauge layout.
Paul Sturtz

Paul Sturtz

Not sure I understand the question.  There is a fine line in cutting the gearbox; too much and it can be ruined.  Too little and there isn't enough clearance for the new smaller wheels.  Many of the Bachmann axle gears are split and must be fixed.  I used washers cut from aluminum tubing and press fit on the axles,  The photo shows what I did.  The LED on the cab end must be shortened if you lower the cab.  Not difficult but easy to mess up.  Hope this helps.
Paul Sturtz

John Stutz

The coupled trucks that Randy mentions were a high traction design that reduced slipping of the leading wheels on each truck, by preventing the truck frames from rocking back under traction loads. The Oahu 45(?) ton GEs also had this feature. The C&T 19 may have been ex Oahu, and I think one operated at Georgetown Loop for a while.

GE also offered a similar 3-axle, 10' wheelbase, version of these trucks under their 70 ton engines. These trucks extended beyond the body and incorporated the couplers and end platforms. About 2 dozen of this version provided the first generation diesel road service on the Chilean meter(39.37") gauge lines, in the 1950's, before they started purchasing conventional road switchers.

John Stutz

On 09/12/2018 02:21 PM, Randy Hees wrote:
The two Hawaiian engines on the Cumbres & Toltec are a steel mill design with the trucks coupled under the locomotive... not separate trucks as used on a 44 ton.
Randy Hees

rick@...

Randy,

Correct. Here is a pic from 1993 of the coupling.

Rick

The two Hawaiian engines on the Cumbres & Toltec are a steel mill design
with the trucks coupled under the locomotive... not separate trucks as
used on a 44 ton.

Randy Hees

The two Hawaiian engines on the Cumbres & Toltec are a steel mill design with the trucks coupled under the locomotive... not separate trucks as used on a 44 ton.

Randy Hees

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:40 AM Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:
Paul/anyone,
  What did you do to convert a standard gauge 44 tonner to narrow gauge -
specifically what did you use for the drive components?

  I'm seriously thinking about two different GE critter projects.
  The first is C&TS #19 which is a GE 45 tonner drop cab.
  The second one is the Pacific Lumber standard gauge #101
which is a Super 88 which, to the best of my knowledge, has
never been done in any scale other than S (scratch/kitbash
by one guy).  I intend to start with two 70-tonners.
                                                                                      - Jim B.

lloyd lehrer

Paul, any adjustments you learned from all those installs you are willing to  expand upon?

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 9:47 PM Paul Sturtz <apa_208@...> wrote:
This subject comes up every now and then.  Yes, there was an article in RMC July 2008 by the Hauff brothers on how to convert Bachman 70t std gauge diesels to HOn3.  It involved cutting the truck gear boxes shorter in order to fit NWSL wheel/axles.  These were specially made for the Hauffs at first but became a catalog item from NWSL.  They are no longer made but sometimes may be found in the stash of modelers who never got around to using them.  In addition, Bachmann changed the design of the 70t (and 44t) trucks so even if you have the wheel/axle kit, you have to find the old style diesel.

I have converted 38 Bachmann 70t and 44t to HOn3.  I sold all but three and those remaining have sound installed.  Due to differences in gearing, the 44t didn't run as well as the 70t so I only converted two of them.  I have posted photos in the past but I'm not sure if they made the move to this site.

Paul Sturtz

--
lloyd lehrer

ckodani@...

Wow, just recently there was a similar question on the HOn30 board! The solution is really easy in 2.5 foot gauge: find a suitable N scale drive, cut down the HO diesel shell to appropriate width, and presto—narrow gauge critter that runs great! I think it might even cost less to buy an N scale drive than trying to convert an HO drive mechanism to HOn3.

Paul Sturtz

[...]

Mr. Cohen is right. They were 70 tonners.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 9:20 PM lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:
Jim, several years ago, maybe 6-8 yrs, there was a spread done by one of the northwest logging fans. He took a SG 44 and ground down the gears and axles and wrote it up. It was one of the Hauff brothers I believe. I am out of the country for the next few weeks so i cant look thru my archives.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 5:40 PM Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Betz

Wayne,
  Thanks for the info.  Here's a pic of drop cab 45 tonner C&TS #19 taken just last month.
I like the funky spark arrestors and will probably do them even though they were added
about 2007 during the major rebuild.
                                                                                   - Jim B.

waynecohen49@...

Jim,

Many years ago, there was an article in RMC about converting a Bachman 70 Tonner to Narrow Gauge, and NWSL made a limited run of  half-shaft, Narrow Gauge wheels for such a project.  They probably can still be found.

The 44 Tonner can be done the same way.  I’ve got most of the work done converting one, but then the project lost momentum.  It’s to be a standing for #19 (could be the same for #15).  I’ll show it to you next time I see you.

Wayne

[...]

Very nice work, and I agree with Dave if the brass was not next to it, you would not have a clue there was a difference.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 12:43 PM <Climax@...> wrote:

Nice job Paul.  Only the well informed purest of that locomotive would have ever noticed any difference and I bet they would have needed to compare it to find the differences.  Great Work.
Lloyd, I know there are Athearn conversion occasionally available on eBay, haven't seen any Kato versions..  I bought an Athearn conversion 8 years ago and was not satisfied with the crude details on the old body shells, lack of DCC or lights, and the oversized trucks.  It didn't clear some of the structures on the layout so I sold it and began converting Bachmann 70t and 44t chassis to HOn3.  For less that half the cost, I got better details, DCC, LED lights and dimensions almost exactly like the SP#1 50t.  Over the next 6 years I converted 34 70t and 2 44t diesels to HOn3.  I sold all but three, the last bringing $455 on eBay.  I haven't done any more for almost 2 years and won't be doing any more.  #18 has been running for 6 years; the only thing new is the sound installation.  For comparison purposes, I have attached photos of the Westside brass model of SP#1 and my 70t version.  The length is 4 ft. longer but all dimensions are the same, i.e. overall width, height above rails, etc.   Paul

--
lloyd lehrer

Climax@...