Uintah 2-6-6-2T

Paul Sturtz

I recently finished (maybe) my PFM Uintah Mallet #51. (Still thinking of adding the 5 pipes that ran through the coal bunker into the cab for ventilation).  The model was not running due to a split gear, the old resin/cotton fiber type, but thanks to the Shayfixer, I purchased the correct gears from NWSL and she runs smooth and quiet!   It was painted in a strange monotone gray color all over that I couldn't match so after stripping the private road name and numbers, I repainted with Grimy Black, re-lettered and weathered.  Following photos of 51, I removed the rear headlight, modified the generator exhaust and raised the front air hose.  Cab glazing, an engineer and detail painting the completely detailed back head finished the cab.  Before and after photos illustrate the changes.
Paul Sturtz

Mark Lewis

Nice make over.

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

Mike Van Hove

Fantastic looking engine.
Thanks for sharing.

Mike Van Hove🤢 (Green with Envy)

On Jun 11, 2018, at 9:59 PM, Paul Sturtz <apa_208@...> wrote:

I recently finished (maybe) my PFM Uintah Mallet #51. (Still thinking of adding the 5 pipes that ran through the coal bunker into the cab for ventilation).  The model was not running due to a split gear, the old resin/cotton fiber type, but thanks to the Shayfixer, I purchased the correct gears from NWSL and she runs smooth and quiet!   It was painted in a strange monotone gray color all over that I couldn't match so after stripping the private road name and numbers, I repainted with Grimy Black, re-lettered and weathered.  Following photos of 51, I removed the rear headlight, modified the generator exhaust and raised the front air hose.  Cab glazing, an engineer and detail painting the completely detailed back head finished the cab.  Before and after photos illustrate the changes.
Paul Sturtz

Climax@...

Very nice.  What were these ventilation pipes running through the coal bunker?  I have the same PFM model.

I recently finished (maybe) my PFM Uintah Mallet #51. (Still thinking of adding the 5 pipes that ran through the coal bunker into the cab for ventilation).  The model was not running due to a split gear, the old resin/cotton fiber type, but thanks to the Shayfixer, I purchased the correct gears from NWSL and she runs smooth and quiet!   It was painted in a strange monotone gray color all over that I couldn't match so after stripping the private road name and numbers, I repainted with Grimy Black, re-lettered and weathered.  Following photos of 51, I removed the rear headlight, modified the generator exhaust and raised the front air hose.  Cab glazing, an engineer and detail painting the completely detailed back head finished the cab.  Before and after photos illustrate the changes.
Paul Sturtz

Paul Sturtz

The small enclosed cabs were hot in summer weather and the pipes helped with air flow.  Here is an excellent photo of the rear of #51.  I used this photo to make a scale drawing and a pattern for marking the locations.  However, drilling brass is not easy, don't want to ruin what I have now.  I forgot to post a photo of the cab interior before.
Paul

Climax@...

Might I suggest that if you indeed want to do this that you carefully layout the pattern and drill just the outside holes.  Then fit brass tubes filed to fit each hole and after putting them in place, put a drill inside each tube hole and continue drilling through the other side.  This will assure that the holes are perfectly lined up.  To hold the brass tubes I would try to solder them but if unable use Gorilla Super Glue.  A little clean up and you should have the holes you are looking for.
db