Topics

Jim Vail

Jim Spencer

This reminds me a lot of John Allen’s Gorre & Daphetid layout in the sense that it burned up only a couple of weeks after John died (hopefully that won’t happen to Jim’s).  But the layout lives on today because of the Linn Wescott book that was a compilation of all John's amazing photos.

Not many layouts end up like “Little Colorado” in the Cheyenne depot.  Most are torn out or parted out, like Jim’s likely will be.  

This video will allow Jim’s layout to live on for future generations of modelers, much as John’s photos did.  In fact the video, through selectively imaging, makes Jim’s layout far greater than it was in person. I visited it several times and never did understand its design concept until I saw the video.

Thank you to whomever did it.

Jim

On Jun 9, 2018, at 3:36 PM, jczul36 via Groups.Io <zul36@...> wrote:

A great video as a tribute to Jim Vail.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev108AAi5p8

James G. Spencer, Architect, AIA 

Climax@...

Nothing makes me madder than the circling vultures ready to drop in and grab as much as they can for nothing and then sell it at high prices elsewhere.  Each item on a persons layout was made carefully and with a lot of feeling, there is a since of respect for the departed modeler that should take place.  The Hawks or vultures don't help anything or anyone but themselves, and in most cases are experts in self promotion for a buck.  I have known many of them in my life and as soon as I figure them out for what they are, I make sure I keep my distance from them.
db

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jun 11, 2018 12:20 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Jim Vail

I went to Jim's house the Sunday after O Scale West. Family and friends of Jim were having a sale of numerous individual items.  When I left at the end of the sale hours there was much remaining to be sold.  While there I inquired about sale of sections of the layout and scenery that would be available once the dismantling process was started. Several sections already had individual commitments.  I expressed interest in a small unfinished section, Boulder Creek, and my name and contact info was put on the list. 
I should note here that friends assisting this effort included a number of experienced local model railroaders. The operation was being run by Jim's daughter, a woman with lots of organizational and leadership skills (and a day job!)  At the time I left there on Sunday afternoon there was still a lot of uncertainty about the large amount of work that remained.  So at his point I'm waiting to hear from them. Hopefully in the next month or two I'll hear something. 
But I'd hazard a guess that the sale of individual items at O scale West as well as at Jim's house the next day realized much less than half the realistic market value of his layout and collections.  And that is taking account of the present softness in the market for HOn3 and related narrow gauge items.  What I didn't see was any sign of a wholesale, pennies on the dollar, fill the dumpster effort to get rid of everything scene that we see in local estate sales.
Ed Weldon, Los Gatos, CA

I went to Jim's house the Sunday after O Scale West. Family and friends of Jim were having a sale of numerous individual items.  When I left at the end of the sale hours there was much remaining to be sold.  While there I inquired about sale of sections of the layout and scenery that would be available once the dismantling process was started. Several sections already had individual commitments.  I expressed interest in a small unfinished section, Boulder Creek, and my name and contact info was put on the list. 
I should note here that friends assisting this effort included a number of experienced local model railroaders. The operation was being run by Jim's daughter, a woman with lots of organizational and leadership skills (and a day job!)  At the time I left there on Sunday afternoon there was still a lot of uncertainty about the large amount of work that remained.  So at his point I'm waiting to hear from them. Hopefully in the next month or two I'll hear something. 
But I'd hazard a guess that the sale of individual items at O scale West as well as at Jim's house the next day realized much less than half the realistic market value of his layout and collections.  And that is taking account of the present softness in the market for HOn3 and related narrow gauge items.  What I didn't see was any sign of a wholesale, pennies on the dollar, fill the dumpster effort to get rid of everything scene that we see in local estate sales.
Ed Weldon, Los Gatos, CA

jczul36

Some items have been reserved, but the rest is up fro sale.

On Jun 10, 2018, at 3:54 PM, Climax@... wrote:

There is so must unique there that it should be preserved as much as possible.  Has Charlie Getz been in contact or involved at all as he seems to have a connection with the Museum which is saving as many parts of layouts as possible.
db

Sent: Jun 10, 2018 6:45 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the ultimate disposition of Jim's layout?  Certainly not easily moveable as it is a pretty integral o the house.
Tom

jczul36

The entire collection is up for sale. Attached are the list of items. They’re working on getting a new updated list.  If you have any interest in any of the following Contact jvgbc@....  I have some items I’m interested in, but there are a few in front of me, so if they don’t want it, I can buy it….

On Jun 10, 2018, at 3:45 PM, tom peterman via Groups.Io <tomp1000@...> wrote:

Has anyone heard anything about the ultimate disposition of Jim's layout?  Certainly not easily moveable as it is a pretty integral o the house.
Tom

Climax@...

There is so must unique there that it should be preserved as much as possible.  Has Charlie Getz been in contact or involved at all as he seems to have a connection with the Museum which is saving as many parts of layouts as possible.
db

Sent: Jun 10, 2018 6:45 PM

Tom

tom peterman

Tom

tom peterman

Great video - a fine tribute to a GREAT Model Railroader!
Thanks for posting the link.
Tom

Mike Williams

That is a fantastic video of an outstanding railroad. Thanks for sharing!

Mike Williams 
RGS in HOn3

On Jun 9, 2018, at 5:36 PM, jczul36 via Groups.Io <zul36@...> wrote:

A great video as a tribute to Jim Vail.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev108AAi5p8

jczul36