3-d printer question.

Dale Buxton

Does anybody out there know anyone that has or has access to a  Formlabs: Form 2 3-d printer that they could use to print me some items? The Form 2 has the ability to print in a resin that can be used to make masters for investment casting. I have some 3-d drawn items that I want cast in brass for my locomotive projects. I tried Shapeways for this but, their inability (or unwillingness) to follow my simple instructions, their object resolution being too low and their wildly varying quality control has been to say the least, very disappointing. The Form 2 printer is an SLA (StereoLithography Apparatus) type printer. These type printers can print in far greater detail than any of the other kinds of 3-d printers. I come to the conclusion that the Form 2 and its "Castible Resin" is the answer to my projects. I just don't have the $3500.00 to shell out for one of these right now.

I have to say, It looks like 3-d printing is the future of scratch building.

Dale, I don't know anybody who has this specifically but you might try this Facebook page:

Yeah, it's FB but there are some pretty interesting things there.

Have you tried the part of Shapeways that does the brass casting service?  I see some good things there on cylinders, main and side rods, etc.

Mike Conder

Doc

Dale, I have a Peopoly Moai SLA printer that is comparable to the Formlabs printer with a slightly smaller build size,  I would be glad to take a look at your drawings to see if my printer can handle them.  And, do you need a special resin for the investment casting process?
doc

Dale Buxton

Doc,

Thank you for the offer. I just checked the Peopoly web site and the Moai seems to have the resolution I need. So first off. How do you like the machine? Second, Was your Moai very hard to set up and was the software learning curve very steep? There is so much on the Peopoly web site about all these different programs that you need to run an STL file though before you can actually hit the print button. All of this is automated in the Form 2 machine sytem.

On the other hand, Peopoly makes a castable resin now too. So that's a plus for the Moai.

What I want to make is some brass castings of some STL drawings I drew. They are several versions of the D&RG / RGS box headlamps used in the 1910's to 1920's period. They have never been offered in HO scale and I need many. 20+ or so.

I would be willing to buy the resin and a resin tank for the project and of coarse share the brass castings if you are interested in them.

Regards,

Dale Buxton

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Doc <railroadops@...> wrote:
Dale, I have a Peopoly Moai SLA printer that is comparable to the Formlabs printer with a slightly smaller build size,  I would be glad to take a look at your drawings to see if my printer can handle them.  And, do you need a special resin for the investment casting process?
doc

Mike Conder

Hey Dale, Doc, I could use a few of these too if you need someone to share some costs.

Mike Conder

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 1:35 PM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike, You make the 4th person to show interest in these. So I'm getting close to real economy  in a production run. Be aware that I have drawn up (9) different versions. Some versions were rebuilt from older oil lamps. Some were built from scratch out of sheet metal. Before the age of Pyle electric headlamps, they were on virtually every locomotive the Grande owned. I can put a file up on Shapeways so you can look at my creations. But none of Shapeways printing techniques will reproduce them in high enough resolution to get away from VERY UGLY printing strata lines. Only an SLA printer will do the job the way I want it done. I tried Shapeways brass casting service. What they call a casting success, I call a TOTAL FAILURE! Misshapen castings with MASSIVE strata lines. IMHO, their QC and production standards are not up to their PR.

So first. I need to get someone to print these in Castable Resin on a SLA printer. Then send them off to a brass foundry. Castable resin by the way, does not melt during the "Burn-out" phase of investment casting. It vaporizes! But it does so slowly and a scheduled range of temperatures must be used get to the total vaporization of the resin. Or so I have read on several places on the web.

Dale

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:44 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
[...]

Have you tried printing these head lamps in FXD or FUD?

Mike Conder

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 11:19 AM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
[...]

M2fq@...

guess Im being blocked

Ive responded to this guy off list with no response so will assume hes not serious

Gary Kohler
330-719-0264
m2fq@...

Dale Buxton

If  you have been trying to get in contact with i'm sorry. But this is the first message from you that has gotten through to me. What can I help you with?

Dale Buxton