The coupled trucks that Randy mentions were a high traction design that reduced slipping of the leading wheels on each truck, by preventing the truck frames from rocking back under traction loads. The Oahu 45(?) ton GEs also had this feature. The C&T 19 may have been ex Oahu, and I think one operated at Georgetown Loop for a while.

GE also offered a similar 3-axle, 10' wheelbase, version of these trucks under their 70 ton engines. These trucks extended beyond the body and incorporated the couplers and end platforms. About 2 dozen of this version provided the first generation diesel road service on the Chilean meter(39.37") gauge lines, in the 1950's, before they started purchasing conventional road switchers.

John Stutz

On 09/12/2018 02:21 PM, Randy Hees wrote:
The two Hawaiian engines on the Cumbres & Toltec are a steel mill design with the trucks coupled under the locomotive... not separate trucks as used on a 44 ton.
Randy Hees

Paul Sturtz

Not sure I understand the question.  There is a fine line in cutting the gearbox; too much and it can be ruined.  Too little and there isn't enough clearance for the new smaller wheels.  Many of the Bachmann axle gears are split and must be fixed.  I used washers cut from aluminum tubing and press fit on the axles,  The photo shows what I did.  The LED on the cab end must be shortened if you lower the cab.  Not difficult but easy to mess up.  Hope this helps.
Paul Sturtz

Paul Sturtz

That's why I lettered it as a GE demonstrator or a unit leased from GE.  That way it fits on any narrow gauge layout.
Paul Sturtz

Paul Sturtz

The six-motor "draft truck" was developed to carry the physically more compact GE_747 motor.  The standard GE-748 motor would not fit in 36-inch gauge locomotives  .Not only did this solve the traction motor problems but it relieved the truck centers and carbody from the stresses of pulling heavy trains.  U.S. Potash in Loving, NM had three of these 70t diesels, the only narrow gauge 70t built for a US road.
Paul Sturtz