0-8-0 NG yard switcher

Curtis Brookshire

The Mar/Apr 2021 Gazette has an article and plans for the ET&WNC #7, 0-8-0 switcher. It was originally built with a slope-backed tender. It was rebuilt with smaller drivers and the tender body was squared off. In photos you can see the rivet line of the slope. In 1935 is was rebuilt and the tender was restored to its slope back appearance. ET&WNC engines were equipped with a swivel coupler drawhead enabling them to couple to either SG or NG cars. Handling SG cars put uneven stress on the loco frame and the engine finally wore out and was retired in 1939.

This engine can be kit bashed using a MDC inside frame 2-8-0 mechanism (minus the pilot truck of course) and the boiler and tender from the MDC SG 0-6-0. Tender will need NG trucks and a coal bunker would need to be fabricated. The hardest thing to duplicate would be the canted cylinders. They were canted to the outside to accommodate the SG sized boiler.

As far as I know, the ET&WNC was the only RR to actually have a NG 0-8-0 switcher with slope back tender in regular service. Hope this helps fill in a little information.

Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level NC

Graham Hodges

I needed a heavy narrow gauge switcher for my coal company yard.  I had an old  HO brass NWSL Sierra #18 2-8-0 which was a poor runner so decided to combine the superstructure from this loco with a MDC HOn3 2-8-0 wheels and frame.  The mechanism was remotored with a Sagami motor kit once available from NWSL  I discarded the front pony truck to convert loco to 0-8-0 and substituted a Blackstone K27 switcher pilot.  The loco was lowered to bring the superstructure down to a more acceptable height for narrow gauge.  I used a surplus Westside K27 compound slope back tender lettered for my coal road and made decals made on my Alps printer.  I also installed a Tsunami sound decoder and TCS stay alive capacitor.  I know that the result stretches credibility a little but the loco fits in very well with my other coal company locos.  Final painting touch up, adjustments and weathering still to come but the loco runs very well and I am very happy with it

Nigel Phillips

Great stuff but my needs are a brace of 0-6-0 switchers. I had looked at reducing a 2-8-0 chassis, but the wheel spacing is wrong. Looks like a custom chassis and rods.

On Saturday, October 23, 2021, Graham Hodges <hodgie@...> wrote:
[...]

Russ Norris

What kind of file are you posting?  I would love to see your work, but I cannot open the download.

Russ Norris

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 10:29 AM Graham Hodges <hodgie@...> wrote:
[...]

dropframe46

I also could not open the download.

Larry Olden

Mike Conder

I was able to open it with MS Paint by clicking the downloaded file.

Nice looking work there!

Mike Conder

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM dropframe46 <dd830tm2@...> wrote:
I also could not open the download.

Larry Olden

LARRY KLOSE

I can’t open the picture on my Apple devices, either.

Larry Klose

Graham Hodges

My apologies to all, I'm new to posting messages and photo's on this forum.  I think I have now managed to include a photo of my switcher in the photo's file as '0-8-0 switcher'

Graham Hodges,
Cairns.  Australia

John Stutz

Graham

Your only problem was your file name, which lacked a type suffix, such as ".jpg".   Without that, our browsers could not tell which application to use to open the file.  But when we told the browser to use a photo viewing or editing application, several such applications were able to display the photo.

John Stutz

On October 23, 2021 5:58 PM Graham Hodges <hodgie@...> wrote:

My apologies to all, I'm new to posting messages and photo's on this forum.  I think I have now managed to include a photo of my switcher in the photo's file as '0-8-0 switcher'

Graham Hodges,
Cairns.  Australia

tonyk537

Nice looking loco Graham.  I snipped it and reposting as a jpeg.

Tony Kassin

Graham Hodges

Thanks Tony,

Graham

wayne_h_sanderson

My workaround is to use an old brass model of C&NW 30/ RGS #74 as a starting point for a brass bash of ET&WNC 0-8-0 #7. It has much to recommend it- Same builder, canted cylinders, the drivers are close or spot on, and old Balboa models can be had at reasonable prices. That's my donor of choice, seeing as the rebuild will also entail repowering it as well. It'll need a new cab, detail changes and a slope tender from an original as-delivered version of a K-27, removal of the pilot wheels and a shortening of the frame in front of the boiler, but using this approach the need to scratch build large parts of a #7 are avoided, and you have a brass model to boot.

wayne_h_sanderson

Forgot to mention: When you do this conversion you are left with a handy Walschearts valve gear set you can play with on other projects.