Date   
Re: Truck size

Bruce Petrarca
 


Bruce Petrarca
bfpetrarca@...



On Jun 11, 2019, at 10:57 AM, Ed Weldon <23.weldon@...> wrote:

Dusty - I'd be cautious about using Armour All around models.  There is a good bit of talk on the internet about what's in it and how it acts on plastic and rubber surfaces.  In the hands of a meticulous builder like yourself it's probably harmless and may be useful. 
I survived enough chemistry courses in college to have a reasonable knowledge of the subject.  What I learned leads me to feel that Armour All with it's petroleum distallate content may weaken plastics, especially those that are older and starting to breal down and form micro cracks.  For a long time I suspected it contains silicone, a known source of paint finish problems.  But I found scant support for this fear in what I read.  Given the way Armour All acts on plastic surfaces I'd stay away from using it on a model that had not yet had its finishing and weathering completed. 
When it comes to tapping threads in plastic a dead sharp new tap is your best bet.  The call here is usually a 2-56, the smallest commonly available size at reasonable prices.  Rather than use a cutting fluid on tapping truck mounts in plastic I'd opt for a second pass with a sharp bottoming tap.  This is something you can create yourself from a taper or plug tap with careful use (to not overheat the metal) of a Dremel cutoff wheel.

Re: Truck size

Dusty
 


I confess that I haven't used Armour All since about 1985 when I was introduced to Novus No 1. I feel that it lubes and cools during drilling and taping which produces a cleaner hole and cleaner threads. Because I tap clear thru I'm not sure what a bottoming tap would buy me. I switch out taps when they 'feel' like they are dragging.

It appears to me that 2-56 and 1-72 screws are too large to fit Grandt Hon3 trucks without significantly enlarging the bolster hole. Then the screw heads are way too large to fit in the relief hole in the bolster. I'm sitting here with a Grandt Hon3 truck and a 2-56 round head screw and I don't see a happy ending using this screw in this truck. The 1-72 fillister does fit the Blackstone caboose truck very nicely.

Define meticulous. I do wash objects carefully with Ivory and a small, soft paint brush prior to painting. I use the air brush to 'blow' dry the objects.

Dusty Burman 

Re: Truck size

John Stutz
 

Dusty et.al.

I believe that Grandt HOn3 trucks were initially supplied with a #0 wood screw.  A #0-80 should work well.

With these small taps, when tapping metal I find it useful to give the tap a half turn, then back off a quarter turn to break off the chip, thus keeping the chips small.  About every three or four full turns, back the tap out entirely and brush off the chips.  The chips do not drift up the flutes on their own, the way thy do on larger taps.  The same in plastic or wood, but I often do not attempt to bottom a blind hole, leaving a taper in to bind the screw.  In a relatively soft wood like Bass, I will soak the tapped hole with water weight ACC, until it is not accepting any more.  Let that set fully, retap, and you have a thread through material that is more acrylic than wood.

John Stutz

On 6/11/2019 3:55 PM, Dusty wrote:

....
It appears to me that 2-56 and 1-72 screws are too large to fit Grandt Hon3 trucks without significantly enlarging the bolster hole. Then the screw heads are way too large to fit in the relief hole in the bolster. I'm sitting here with a Grandt Hon3 truck and a 2-56 round head screw and I don't see a happy ending using this screw in this truck. The 1-72 fillister does fit the Blackstone caboose truck very nicely.  ...

Re: Truck size

Scott
 

Do they use the arch bars that have the extra set of brakes shoes on the ends or the normal brakes?

Scott McDonald

HOn3/HO Collection For Sale

Matthew Dowd
 

Group,

First, thank you to all those who purchased some of the HOn3 brass items i had listed earlier in the spring. The list found below represents the rest of this amazing collection.

There are built up rolling stock items, rolling stock kits, brass models, structure kits, vehicle kits, and track items. All of the kits are like new and appear to be complete. Some brands include Model Masterpieces, Precision Scale, Timberline, LaBelle, Campbell, Rail Line, Slim Princess, Classic Miniatures, Jordan Highway Miniatures, Grandt Line, Shinohara, and many others, The built up rolling stock ranges from amature construction to museum-quality builds. There are a couple standard gauge items mixed in so please note those references within the list. 

Pictures are available upon request. Prices are included and payment via PayPal is preferred. The buyer will be responsible for all shipping costs. Volume discounts will be considered. Please note that I may not be able to immediately reply to requests and all requests will be honored on a first come, first served basis. All responses must be sent via Private Message or through email using matt DOT dowd 4 AT sbcglobal DOT net. Thanks for looking and happy modeling!

-Matthew Dowd 

Temporary scenery stand-ins

 

Some layout builders will leave scenery bare and unfinished and let the finished model scenery and buildings slowly creep across the benchwork, a process that can take years for the fussy modeler.  Others will semifinish scenery and locate "stand-in" rough structures, often poster or foam board constructions, where the finished models will stand.  I've found that these stand-ins can sometimes be cheap plastic kit structures.  There's an HO plastic coaling tower, sand house and several stations that fit and can be made reasonably convincing models with some quick coats of rattle can flat paints, primers or "camo" colors and quick weathering.
I discovered another one recently, the Bachmann Plasticville water tower.  Shorten the leg structure from 3 to 2 cross-brace tiers as well as the water spout to narrow gauge length , flat spray the pieces and put it together.  Looks good as narrow gauge in a 3 foot test.  And super cheap as a "used" kit on eBay.  It'll be fun to watch visiting "brass hats" start counting rivets and then show them the Plasticville box, especially if your practice weathering job fools them.
Ed Weldon

Re: Temporary scenery stand-ins

Ric Case
 

Ed I have been doing this for years because of the fact you have to scratch build almost 99% of all East Broad Top models!
Cars and structures!


Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

On Jun 14, 2019, at 12:00 AM, Ed Weldon <23.weldon@...> wrote:

Some layout builders will leave scenery bare and unfinished and let the finished model scenery and buildings slowly creep across the benchwork, a process that can take years for the fussy modeler.  Others will semifinish scenery and locate "stand-in" rough structures, often poster or foam board constructions, where the finished models will stand.  I've found that these stand-ins can sometimes be cheap plastic kit structures.  There's an HO plastic coaling tower, sand house and several stations that fit and can be made reasonably convincing models with some quick coats of rattle can flat paints, primers or "camo" colors and quick weathering.
I discovered another one recently, the Bachmann Plasticville water tower.  Shorten the leg structure from 3 to 2 cross-brace tiers as well as the water spout to narrow gauge length , flat spray the pieces and put it together.  Looks good as narrow gauge in a 3 foot test.  And super cheap as a "used" kit on eBay.  It'll be fun to watch visiting "brass hats" start counting rivets and then show them the Plasticville box, especially if your practice weathering job fools them.
Ed Weldon

Re: Temporary scenery stand-ins

Dusty
 

A 'stand in' scenery moment that sticks in my mind was at the Museum in San Diego. As I recall after they laid down the basic plaster (or whatever) they painted most of it green. Based on my occasional visits it appears they gradually replaced the 'green's with the final textures and colors and structures. They avoided the 'north pole' snow scape while the layout was open to the public.

Dusty Burman 

Re: Temporary scenery stand-ins

 

Another thought on this is the creation of "lots" in scenic areas.  Each with its own insert.  So a vacant lot with some weeds and a bit of trash added would be a quickie project.  You make and shape two inserts at the same time identical in fit.  One gets the weeds and the other gets stored with the unbuilt kit.

"North Pole Snow Scape was Re: [HOn3] Temporary scenery stand-ins

Darryl Huffman
 

Dusty,

Having lived in Alaska for 45 years, the 'north pole' snow scape was never a problem for me.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@...

FOS SCALE FREE KIT

Darryl Huffman
 

FOS Scale Models throws in a bonus kit every few months for free.

The most recent one was a small "Roast Beef" stand.

I changed mine to a "Hot Dog" stand as I've never seen a Roast Beef stand.

This little kit went together in 3 pleasant evenings from opening to finished.

These little kits contain no instructions but almost anyone can build it by just looking at the photos.

My "Hot Dog" stand attached.

I look forward to the next FOS Scale Freebie.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@...



Re: FOS SCALE FREE KIT

John Hutnick
 

I cannot find this on the FOS site.  Can you please tell me where to look.

Re: FOS SCALE FREE KIT

John
 

The free kits are not on the web site as they were offered for a limited time (only a week or so) with a purchase of at least $50.
John Peckham
Torrance, CA


On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 9:05 AM, John Hutnick
<johnhutnick@...> wrote:
I cannot find this on the FOS site.  Can you please tell me where to look.

Re: FOS SCALE FREE KIT

Darryl Huffman
 

John,

Put yourself on FOS Scale Models mailing list and you will get notifications of new kits and any special deals.

The free kits are always very limited in availability.

I think one was during May only.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@...

Hobby DVDs now shipping:



On Saturday, June 15, 2019, 10:05:23 AM MDT, John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:


I cannot find this on the FOS site.  Can you please tell me where to look.

Youtube Video on Making Small Details for Structures

Darryl Huffman
 

Friends,

I have uploaded a video to Youtube on making small details for structures.

Included are how to make a bird's nest, a picnic table, lobster traps, crates and shelving with details.

It is live on Youtube now.

Here is the URL:

Making Small Details For Dioramas and Layouts


Or you can always search for my name:   Darryl Huffman

There is a minister named Darryl Huffman but that is not me.

I'm the guy in the yellow shirt building models.



Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@...

My blog, Ghost Town Models, can be seen here:





Lighting models

Bill Lugg
 

I have a PDF from 2007 for a clinic that covers the use of SMD LEDs in
lighting models.  It recommends ngineering.com as a source for the
LEDs.  They do have a variety of options available, but their prices
seem a bit high at a little over $20 for 10 LEDs.  I wonder what you
folks are doing for these things as they seem like a great way to go in
lighting locos, cars and structures...is Ebay the answer?  If so, what
should I be looking for to make sure I get the right thing as it seems
like if I just search for "yellow white SMD LEDs", I get a lot of hits
that aren't what I'm looking for.

All advice is welcome.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Re: Lighting models

Kent Hinton
 

Ledbaron of Germany. He has an eBay store at http://www.ebaystores.com/ledbaron. Well established, reputable vendor.

Kent Hinton

On Jun 16, 2019, at 9:29 PM, Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:

I have a PDF from 2007 for a clinic that covers the use of SMD LEDs in
lighting models.  It recommends ngineering.com as a source for the
LEDs.  They do have a variety of options available, but their prices
seem a bit high at a little over $20 for 10 LEDs.  I wonder what you
folks are doing for these things as they seem like a great way to go in
lighting locos, cars and structures...is Ebay the answer?  If so, what
should I be looking for to make sure I get the right thing as it seems
like if I just search for "yellow white SMD LEDs", I get a lot of hits
that aren't what I'm looking for.

All advice is welcome.

Thanks
Bill Lugg




Re: Truck size

bob.meckley@...
 

Regarding the correct trucks, I have used the Grandt Line 3'7" arch bar trucks with cast in outside brake beams per the prototype. In the past I replaced them with the Blackstone version for free rolling. After breaking off the truck pin I drill a center hole and use the self tapping screw that comes with the Kadee couplers. I also add weight inside on each end.
After operation and derailments the plastic end stirrups often break off and I replaced these with the Delrin ones from Grandt. Hopefully these will be available in the future.

Bob Meckley

Re: Lighting models

Scott
 

How long does shipping from Germany take?  

Scott McDonald

Re: Lighting models

alsands@...
 

I use the Pico led's from Evan Designs, you will find them at www.modeltrainsoftware.com, I also use the
HO scale lamp shades from Tichy Train Group, they are smaller than most, closer to scale, I also use the S scale
shades for industrial buildings.
Hope this helps
Alan 
Perth Western Australia