Re: SJM Co CONOCO Tank Car coupler conversion.

Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...>

Well, My spy told me the 705 creation was a rush job. It seemed that the tooling guy at Kadee was getting ready to retire and they wanted a new HOn3 coupler. So they took an older design they had and never used and had him make the dies for the 705. It's still a damned nice coupler. It just came too late for me. I had already gone with Sergent Sharon Couplers. But, the 705 mates quite nicely with the Sharon's. One downside I didn't like about the 705's. It's just really hard to convert one to a pilot coupler without the draft gear box. There is really not enough material in the 705 shank to work with. I'll probably end up using some eventually though.

Dale Buxton

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:50 PM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Couldn't agree more Jim. It had to be a fast conversion for me to take up the new coupler. When the standard coupler for HOn3 is the 714, what kind of thinking does it take to make a replacement that doesn't fit!