Re: Blind tires

John Stutz

Earl

Steam locomotive driver tires are separate from the driver centers, and are a long term consumable, same as automobile tires.  But driver tires are usually made thick enough that they can be re-profiled several times before they get worn enough to require replacement.  The reason for doing this is that with side-rod connected wheels, any difference in diameters means that some of the drivers are always slightly skidding.  Especially since leading tires often wear faster than the others.

So with fairly new tires on a C-16, there would have been enough metal in the inner driver tires to make a small flange, by reducing the nominal diameter of all the drivers.

John Stutz

On November 27, 2021 9:45 AM Earl Knoob <earlk489@...> wrote:

The only C-19 I have ever encountered with flanges on all drivers is 346.  The flanges were applied to the center drivers by the C&S when it was leased to them in the 1930's.  They were "half flanges".

I would not think it was possible to put flanges on the center drivers of C-16's and C-19's because of the tight space between the 2nd and 3rd drivers, but the C&S managed to do so. ...